Society/Culture Why does inequality matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

So your parents weren't wealthy but you have done well for yourself. Aren't you undermining your own argument?

Having poor parents isn't a barrier to achieving success. If you go to school/further education, develop skills that people are willing to pay for, have good personal habits such as - conscientiousness, networking, team player, calculated risk taking etc then chances are you will do well in life.

The government has a role to play. For example, it could state that government funding for each private school is contingent on a certain number of full scholarships being awarded to smart and motivated kids from low-income families.

Possibly. What's my argument?

I don't really disagree with anything you said, I was just trying to make a funny (obviously not very well, based on the replies!).

Troll creates thread saying something stupid. People bite. Troll says something even more stupid. People bite. Troll makes another troll thread. People bite.

Yawn...
I think it is a general sense that people shouldn't have this feeling of being without and that everyone is always looking for what they are missing out on.

there is an obvious troll factor but surely people aren't spending their lives looking for the hidden key or else the idea that everyone is against them.

people do expect too much in life in some ways and then there are those who give up too easily.

Troll says you are being a bit trollish and the troll should eat some cheese..

Better than it would if I tried it alone. It wouldn't be a multi million dollar business without the help of those everyone earning 200k. That's why I'm technically exploiting them! I should be proud. The "job god"
and aren't you the Ricky snorting manipulator of the left or right wing when you so choose..
you people who brag about things are the 'despicable me' of the manufacturing world. or of your smart arse whorld..

I am obviously not denoting you as anything as you are not representing yourself so I am able to crap on about you so carry on..
But Benny is obviously a template of the other Bennies of the world.. crap on dude..

I always do because I don’t have false outrage for a thousand different issues I have no control over. Hopefully you can do the same and have a great weekend!
I don't have false outrage either.

Any "outrage" I have is completely warranted.

We see this on a continuous basis. Do you and NSWCROW meet on a regular basis? Probably Group chat or something similar.
Grubby little unacknowledged edit to my post.

Just your style.

We see this on a continuous basis. Do you and NSWCROW meet on a regular basis? Probably Group chat or something similar.

trre.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop playing identity politics.

In this case class warfare.

The original purpose of class critique was to cut through identity politics. The attachment of particular cultural symbols, behaviors to a "working class" gave it it's characteristics as a form of identity politics. Additionally the overwhelming capitalist results of cultural egalitarianism ensures this image sticks.

Inequality matters for a number of reasons, but the main reason is the corrupting of the democratic process by those at the top of the income/wealth scale.

The uber rich have infinitely greater capacity to influence elections and coerce policy makers into crafting policy that benefits themselves often at the expense of the rest of the population.

Let me clear up one big myth that rich people take from everyone else, wealth is accumulated by performing a large number of voluntary transactions on the free market. Rich people do not steal other people’s money.

Are you practising for your new role of being a comedian?

Wealth is accumulated by performing voluntary transactions on the free market.

Rich people do not put a gun to a persons head and either force them to buy a commodity from them or work for them.

No....I believe that today's standard operating practising procedure, is to place your politician of choice in a compromising position - usually a honey-trap.....Make sure you have the offending material on tape - and then use it to blackmail them into giving you concessions, passing bills, deregulating rules etc etc.....You get the gist, I'm sure.

Elsewise, you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours.....Bribes often work quite well also in maintaining monopolies....Something only the rich can do.

You'll get a handle on the real world one of these days.

I laughed,then I cried,I shook my head and then I took a minute to realise that my kids have to deal with these degenerate arseholes long after I’ve disappeared.
It upset me somewhat.
The elite steal and exploit the underclasses,that’s why they are where they are,hopefully one day,our children won’t allow this human mismanagement to continue.
Someone once had a dream.

I laughed,then I cried,I shook my head and then I took a minute to realise that my kids have to deal with these degenerate arseholes long after I’ve disappeared.
It upset me somewhat.
The elite steal and exploit the underclasses,that’s why they are where they are,hopefully one day,our children won’t allow this human mismanagement to continue.

Really?

It upset me somewhat.

LOL, you really believe this s**t!

Considering Australian workers are among the largest owners of capital, there is no such thing as an underclass in Australia, sure there is social disadvantage but that is neither new nor any worst than it has been previously.

When was life more "equitable"? The 50s? The 60s? The 70s? The 80s? I call bullshit. There were still plenty of poor people then, people just lived more simply and didn't complain and much.

I think it’s a function of gap between top wages and lowest.

A common comparison which is a few years old now:

In the US the average CEO wage was about 20x that of the bloke sweeping the floor.

Now it’s 200x.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back