Why does the MCG attract Seagulls?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are no seagulls anymore, there are however a bunch of pigeons that hang around on the flanks maybe 6-7 of them and they are not fazed by the thundering hooves of the players around them. Keep any eye next time you're at the G and actually watching the game, you'll see them up the ground in open space

..... yelling, "kick to me, kick it to me"

Because some of them can really play. Kane Lambert, for example.

He was a Williamstown Seagull in the VFL.

I want to see super mutant sea gulls being flown by hyper evolved mega rats, fly down in the middle of a packed game and start eating the players and killing the fans. After the bloodbath is concluded they will most likely declare war against the pest that is humanity...

I've noticed a lot of seagulls flying around the spires of the art deco skyscrapers at the eastern end of Collins Street, especially at night. But I've never observed this in other cities or with other buildings, not even in Brisbane or the Gold Coast where there are many tall buildings and many seagulls.

As for the MCG, I don't think that Melbourne's ibis population has learned that this is a place with plenty of people with food and many bins full of trash to dive into and rummage through. I've never seen any bin chickens near the MCG, despite the obvious things that would attract the birds to this location.

I've noticed a lot of seagulls flying around the spires of the art deco skyscrapers at the eastern end of Collins Street, especially at night. But I've never observed this in other cities or with other buildings, not even in Brisbane or the Gold Coast where there are many tall buildings and many seagulls.

As for the MCG, I don't think that Melbourne's ibis population has learned that this is a place with plenty of people with food and many bins full of trash to dive into and rummage through. I've never seen any bin chickens near the MCG, despite the obvious things that would attract the birds to this location.

Maybe seagulls are discerning architecture connoisseurs?

This is a Pacific Gull, looks like a massive seagull. They have wingspans up to 1.6 metres. I love these things.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are 'gulls'

They are usually at the sea because thats where food is. They flock at the G because thats where food is. They are at the tip because thats where food is. Not rocket science.

On another note, when all afternoon games were 2:10 starts (i.e. a regular pattern) you would see seagulls come in droves halfway through the last quarter, anticipating the game finishing and people clearing out so they can get at the sweet, sweet chips inside. I said this to my mate that they 'know when the game is about to end'. He thinks I'm an idiot, I think I am not. I'm not sure how it is now with games at different times every week, but they certainly used to
You are nearly right however I remember them hanging on the southern stand roof at 3/4 time. Thats going back to the 70s.

This is a Pacific Gull, looks like a massive seagull. They have wingspans up to 1.6 metres. I love these things.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk

this is a juvenile pacific gull eating a fish. It could not afford the mcg chips to go with it.

D2794732-D81F-4242-8876-B30428E49BB6.jpeg

here is an adult with a fish
B3890D72-1235-46D6-86E1-A75619F36FA4.jpeg

thank you for appreciating my photography.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back