Why does the media keep giving random haters/trolls etc on social media attention?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Rhetorical question I guess, I mean I know why, it's a story...I'm thinking of those who make racist attacks on players etc. I do agree we should condemn it, but at the same time you aren't going to 100% stamp out hate, bigotry, racism etc. Is everytime some random person on facebook, twitter, instagram etc going to become a news story? I guess it may help discourage it, but it may drive it underground.

It makes a good story and enrages some which gets more views. Like the racism stories we always hear. Its one idiot on twitter but media likes to make out like its widespread and a major story.

It makes a good story and enrages some which gets more views. Like the racism stories we always hear. Its one idiot on twitter but media likes to make out like its widespread and a major story.

So it’s the same idiot each time?

Absolutlwy
Rhetorical question I guess, I mean I know why, it's a story...I'm thinking of those who make racist attacks on players etc. I do agree we should condemn it, but at the same time you aren't going to 100% stamp out hate, bigotry, racism etc. Is everytime some random person on facebook, twitter, instagram etc going to become a news story? I guess it may help discourage it, but it may drive it undergro
Rhetorical question I guess, I mean I know why, it's a story...I'm thinking of those who make racist attacks on players etc. I do agree we should condemn it, but at the same time you aren't going to 100% stamp out hate, bigotry, racism etc. Is everytime some random person on facebook, twitter, instagram etc going to become a news story? I guess it may help discourage it, but it may drive it underground.
I think you’re spot on.

I don’t think the kind of people who send unsolicited racist DMs to indigenous players are the kind who will be discouraged by the reaction. It’s likely the reason they do it.

If we lived by this as a society, women wouldn't have a right to vote, segregation would still be a thing and gay marriage non existent.

You need to call it out and educate.

"Just ignore it" doesn't tend to work in terms of racial jabs. Calling it out is just as important to set a standard that it's not ok. To let things like that slide sort of normalises behaviour, and while yes it may never go away, Doesn't mean you just turn your back on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi PB. There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The media are not on your side, they are not looking out for anyone nor are they on the side of 'right'. They need a certain amount of news to publish every day and they publish what they can.

I didnt say that at all. But how is the victim better off when the media highlights it and other trolls decide to double down ?
In most of these instances the trolls end up being uncovered and lose their jobs, livliehoods etc..

I just don't buy the argument that its a totally joyful experience for them

"Just ignore it" doesn't tend to work in terms of racial jabs. Calling it out is just as important to set a standard that it's not ok. To let things like that slide sort of normalises behaviour, and while yes it may never go away, Doesn't mean you just turn your back on it

That's the long standing policy across the media with respect to things like suicide.

Ignore it lest it encourages others.

Their attitude is that giving it coverage is what might normalise the behaviour.

Hey OP, the standard you walk passed is the standard you accept.

Clubs do not want to be seen to be walking passed anything that targets their players racially, and nor should they.

If you clicked on it to see what was going on then you're part of the problem.
If you comment on the post in Facebook without opening still part of the problem.
And the unavoidable one is if you looked at the post too long even without interaction still makes you part of the problem (Facebook registers length of time looking at certain content)

Modern journalism is in the gutter thanks to social media. There's many on facebook that are mainstream and popular news outlets, they misspell headlines all the time or get the headline wrong which I'm 100% sure is a deliberate act because it gets a 1000 comments of people calling them stupid or correcting them. Facebook algorithm then sees it as popular and pushes it to even more people. It's a cheap tactic and beings media integrity in to the spotlight .

I guess to answer the original question, news will do anything and provide any content that creates interest, conversation, division and the goal is views for advertising dollars, not to provide valuable information to the public

Remove this Banner Ad

Back