Why does the media keep giving random haters/trolls etc on social media attention?

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
I think it’s worth discussing. The cretins who send this abuse are not ku klan members, they are drunken low IQ morons who send some text that they think will get the biggest reaction, because they are angry. Social media is a free hit to communicate with “celebrities” and they think they are anonymous. It’s a hard task to wipe out cretins/morons so better identification for social media use or just blocking out this stuff does seem a solution in the short term.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine thinking the media only calls it out because they're trying to do the "right" thing. They profit every time an incident like this occurs, there's no moral compass involved here.

If anything they want to fuel the flames. Would be a blow to them if these grubs were stamped out.
Could that not be said of any news story ?

My_Username

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You dont see the difference between clickbait designed to enrage and outrage and world changing stories?

It's becoming harder and harder.

Clickbait is quicker, easier and more profitable for them, so that's what they spew out.

Unbiased views and critical analysis have largely disappeared.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
It's becoming harder and harder.

Clickbait is quicker, easier and more profitable for them, so that's what they spew out.

Unbiased views and critical analysis have largely disappeared.
Next to no actual reporting work and guaranteed bulk clicks. They live for it these days.

Quick screenshot of the comment, said player is angry/disappointed, copy + paste club statement. Imagine thinking they're actively working to try and stamp it out.

My_Username

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Next to no actual reporting work and guaranteed bulk clicks. They live for it these days.

Quick screenshot of the comment, said player is angry/disappointed, copy + paste club statement. Imagine thinking they're actively working to try and stamp it out.

Yep, although I was thinking bigger than just AFL news.

magpielicious

All Australian
Apr 29, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good news stories don't sell or generate interest !
Negative stories etc titilate and excite.....
Player 1 seen drinking a beer at a club with firends...boring news
Player 2 seen whiping his nostrils coming out of the toilets...BIG NEWS story "player seen whiping cocaine off his nostrils in club" headline.

Back