Why does the Melbourne media love Neil Balme?

aww it's cute that you flogs are attempting to defend a moron
How’s he a moron?
Record speaks for itself, from where I’m sitting only one moron in this discussion and a very bitter one at that;)

Honestly, the man is a total buffoon. Spent two days mocking reporters and saying there was nothing wrong with Dustin Martin, only for the coach to admit he is suffering from a badly corked thigh.
Yet today i see no mention of Balmes lies.
After his career as a thug player, failed coach and now glorified dressing room doorman ( I've actually seen him performing this role ), i just don't understand the medias love affair with him.
I've just had a quick skim through the thread and there seems to be a heap of responses, from Richmond and Non-Richmond (including Interstate) supporters, answering your question. Your counter to all these is you don't like the wording he used.

Gonna throw it out there, seeing as it's bloody obvious to everyone else, but it seems more like you're the problem here. A bigger person would admit they were wrong and walk away with their tail between their legs. I look forward to your continued denial. :thumbsu:

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I've just had a quick skim through the thread and there seems to be a heap of responses, from Richmond and Non-Richmond (including Interstate) supporters, answering your question. Your counter to all these is you don't like the wording he used.

Gonna throw it out there, seeing as it's bloody obvious to everyone else, but it seems more like you're the problem here. A bigger person would admit they were wrong and walk away with their tail between their legs. I look forward to your continued denial. :thumbsu:

Well, saying "There's nothing wrong with him!" is not the same as "He's carrying/recovering from an injury, but will still play", either. The former does express a "Why are you even asking me this?!" level of arrogance and contempt for the enquiry, while the latter acknowledges the truth (that an injury is being recovered from) and the message the club wants to get across as well (that Martin will play regardless).

Understand the query now?

Well, saying "There's nothing wrong with him!" is not the same as "He's carrying/recovering from an injury, but will still play", either. The former does express a "Why are you even asking me this?!" level of arrogance and contempt for the enquiry, while the latter acknowledges the truth (that an injury is being recovered from) and the message the club wants to get across as well (that Martin will play regardless).

Understand the query now?
Did you even listen to the interview? Or are you the same as the other bloke and you're getting so upset at a single sentence from an employee of an opposition club that you're completely ignoring all the responses to the question this thread is actually asking?

Are you trolling or are you always this embarrassing?

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
62d8bf900aa494436e2c7c98983fa30e

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
The strangest thing is the media then sook it up because Hawthorn and to a lesser extent Richmond didn't have open media sessions when Melbourne and Collingwood did. Yet most of the articles they write based on the media sessions aren't more than space fillers. They did write a number of excellent profiles of Melbourne players last week, but the media even know they won't be read nearly as much as the latest trade fantasy fiction articles.

Sadly we don't seem to have the market nor the talent for just one great journo who can deliver game wide analysis pieces. A 'Zach Lowe' for those who follow the NBA.

Can tell you mate, I work in as newsroom and we keep constant stats on how stories do and are received, which is very easy to keep tabs on. I can go into work tomorrow and basically discover how many people read a story online, how long they had the page open for and even where it was read from.
I tell you without a word of a lie, those profile stories you referred to would have had significant more reach than a generic story on club A or B. I see it daily - team-oriented stuff does not rate as high as stories in individual personalities. People still like a good, long read!
Media sessions are junk time.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Honestly, the man is a total buffoon. Spent two days mocking reporters and saying there was nothing wrong with Dustin Martin, only for the coach to admit he is suffering from a badly corked thigh.
After his career as a thug player, failed coach and now glorified dressing room doorman ( I've actually seen him performing this role ), i just don't understand the medias love affair with him.

Glorified dressing room man, who we wouldn't have gotten Caddy and Prestia without, nor even contemplated moving on Deledio as a trade option.
Think his record at Collingwood, Geelong and Richmond flies in the face of your underwhelming critique of the guy!

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Did you even listen to the interview? Or are you the same as the other bloke and you're getting so upset at a single sentence from an employee of an opposition club that you're completely ignoring all the responses to the question this thread is actually asking?

Are you trolling or are you always this embarrassing?

Yes, no, no, and no.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can tell you mate, I work in as newsroom and we keep constant stats on how stories do and are received, which is very easy to keep tabs on. I can go into work tomorrow and basically discover how many people read a story online, how long they had the page open for and even where it was read from.
I tell you without a word of a lie, those profile stories you referred to would have had significant more reach than a generic story on club A or B. I see it daily - team-oriented stuff does not rate as high as stories in individual personalities. People still like a good, long read!
Media sessions are junk time.
Trade stories rate bigger than profiles though and both far more than any team or game analysis, that's what I've been told. Is that correct? Reading about a player's personal life gets some people interested, reading about player x being traded gets even more interest whether it's a rumour or a source. That's the sad thing.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like balmey because he's carrying a few too many kegs, gives the media nothing and seems like he'd be a good bloke to have a beer with.
Oh and legend has it that if you happen to witness any footballers from his club doing something dodgy he gives you a paper bag full of cash to forever hold your peace!

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Melbourne media love Balmey because he is a "good bloke" and they are all a bunch of sheep.

What do people expect? An anatomy chart showing the exact location of Dustin Martin's sore spots and injury niggles?

I reckon Balmey is pretty funny. He is one of the shiftiest looking people I've ever seen. Look at his fat face and his beady eyes. I always think he is lying every time his lips move. He is a classic AFL club bullshitter. You can see he is fibbing. You can hear it in his voice. So I'm not really sure why anyone would be surprised or outraged by his porky pies. That's been his job for the past 20 years.

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

Martin#4

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Biggest game the Pies have played in nearly a decade and they’re out here in force whinging over choice of words by an opposition club administrator used when describing a player injury.

Maybe ‘nothing wrong’ for Balme is ‘he’ll play’? He did re-iterate everyone is sore at this stage of the year - nothing out of the ordinary.

Keep fighting the good fight minnows - tackling the big issues :'( :p

ChrisHunt313131

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Could not disagree more with you re: Balme, he has great relationships with the various stakeholders and can be the frontman that allows Hardwick to concentrate on his role of coaching.

It can’t be denied that Balme is highly regarded in the industry.

Back