Why does your team suck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought this would be an amusing thread. We all try and talk up our own team on the main board, but how about we bring everyones own team board onto the main board for a little while and people can talk about why their own team sucks, and what is wrong with your team that prevented them from winning the flag in 2018 (everyone but West Coast) and will/could prevent them from winning a flag in 2019.

For the Swans I am going to say the midfield. A few years ago it batted reasonably deep but these days loses contest after contest and as a result of opposition midfields dominating ours we lose the inside 50 count a lot more than we win it, which puts pressure on the defenders since the ball is always camped in our defensive 50, the defenders having to soak up huge amounts of pressure that the midfield is putting them under.

Another thing is Longmire, who liked his game plan from 5 years ago and has decided to never change it, with many football experts saying the Swans are the most predictable team in the AFL. Longmire also seems to have a strong dislike of small forwards, and he has attempted to turn Papley, Hayward and Ronke into midfielders at different points in the season, sort of leaving Buddy on his own to do all the scoring, but the ball approaches the forward line so slowly, that Buddy usually finds himself being double teamed, or having no room to move.

So, that is how the Swans suck, how does your team suck?

we don't have a forward that can lead
we kick to the pockets and on top of the forward's heads
we don't back up the player with the ball providing an emergency handball option
we have too many players playing for outcomes rather than creating them
our midfield is too big and slow

Thought this would be an amusing thread. We all try and talk up our own team on the main board, but how about we bring everyones own team board onto the main board for a little while and people can talk about why their own team sucks, and what is wrong with your team that prevented them from winning the flag in 2018 (everyone but West Coast) and will/could prevent them from winning a flag in 2019.

For the Swans I am going to say the midfield. A few years ago it batted reasonably deep but these days loses contest after contest and as a result of opposition midfields dominating ours we lose the inside 50 count a lot more than we win it, which puts pressure on the defenders since the ball is always camped in our defensive 50, the defenders having to soak up huge amounts of pressure that the midfield is putting them under.

Another thing is Longmire, who liked his game plan from 5 years ago and has decided to never change it, with many football experts saying the Swans are the most predictable team in the AFL. Longmire also seems to have a strong dislike of small forwards, and he has attempted to turn Papley, Hayward and Ronke into midfielders at different points in the season, sort of leaving Buddy on his own to do all the scoring, but the ball approaches the forward line so slowly, that Buddy usually finds himself being double teamed, or having no room to move.

So, that is how the Swans suck, how does your team suck?
:D We're located too close to the Swans.

Seriously I have no serious criticism of the on field performance of the club. Nothings ever really good enough but they've exceeded my expectations.

I sometimes feel the on field performance has got ahead of the developing supporter base though. I worry about how long it will take before there are 30k members minimum that bleed orange and grey. I think we need that to flourish long term, survival's not an issue but our sights need to be higher than that.

It's virtually impossible to use crowd stats to guage progress because of promo tkts at Spotless and the small capacity at Manuka.

There was a noticeably better feel from the Spotless crowds this year. More passion and crowd involvement. The club may not agree but to me that's better for us than simply an improved headcount long term. The real test will come when we have a down year though, :phopefully far into the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pokies thing is a bummer. Some fans are pretty negative. Kennett hasn't pissed off yet. That's about it. On field we only have one small forward with pace and he's really old and our key forward development is way behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back