Why doesn't official AFL Media treat fans better?

Ronald Risher

Draftee
Aug 27, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone else part of the small minority of fans that would appreciate better data driven journalism, like fans of overseas in particular american sports get?

I find this very weird that someone who hosts a podcast on AFL stats/trends would have a dig at people who just provide content for free.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Anyone else part of the small minority of fans that would appreciate better data driven journalism, like fans of overseas in particular american sports get?

I find this very weird that someone who hosts a podcast on AFL stats/trends would have a dig at people who just provide content for free.

Never heard of him or them. 'Journalism' around the world is a disgrace so anyone who'd expect sports journalism to be any different is dreaming.

It’s kinda like State run media really isn’t it?

More just marketing/promotion work than actual journalism?

It’s not like that they are going to publish a cutting expose about the league or something..

and they're big enough that journos in other companies wont go at them because they don't want to risk never being employed there (and risk losing their credentials).

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
As a kid I loved footy media (read the newspapers, followed the websites, watched the tv shows), but the standard of footy journalism these days is on life support. The AFL website is a joke, the Age has severely cut back, the C7 shows like The Kick/Gameday are about as interesting as toilet paper, etc.

I would only buy the herald-sun for the footy news especially on weekends.

Now on the odd occasion I do buy it, I end up getting angry at myself for paying for the dribble

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are more than 800 accredited AFL media, plus many hundreds more commenting on the AFL (not the sport of footy - just the sport's professional league). It's clearly far too many for what remains a seasonal sport played in a tiny region, but it hides an even bigger issue - it has all gone in-house.

Since the AFL founded AFL Media in about 2010, they've taken control over all parts of the game's reporting and now retain all the key contacts and knowledge. The AFL and club media are better at manipulating stories than Pravda; club officials are becoming ever easier to track for leaks, AFL staff are tightly monitored and there are more in-house channels for telling supporters about footy news.

Footy media blandness will only get worse too. The heyday of major newspapers, radio and TV breaking stories is long gone. The best connected people work in-house, news budgets are too low, immediate content is king and - frankly - there aren't that many inventive people or great media talents covering the game. Plus the TV coverage - which is where about 65 per cent of AFL revenue comes from - is all about selling the best product. No scandals or self-criticism there, please.

So, to answer the OP: they don't treat fans better, because the medium and the message are both on the AFL's terms.

Back