Why don't players and clubs be open about free agents and their plans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I'm not sure why players don't make it common knowledge they're going elsewhere - particularly as a free agent.

It seems like a good idea to let everyone know that they're at the club, they're committed to the season but they'll be leaving in the off season. That allows everyone to get it off their chest and just focus on what's ahead, without having the media circus affecting not only the player but the clubs.

It seems to me that it would cut out the speculation and absolute crap that the clubs and players involved have to deal with, it'd also cut it out for us as fans and deprive media parasites like Barrett and Tom Browne of crap to sling.

Win, win?

giphy.gif

Because we have to operate in a world where we all think our players love playing specifically for our club and are going to be one club loyal champions.

Because we have to operate in a world where we all think our players love playing specifically for our club and are going to be one club loyal champions.

Testing the waters is fair enough, its not as if players dont stsy for unders as provrn by the Cats & Hawks over more than 10 years.

it's time the footy world get comfortable with free agency and players changing their place of work.

it's great that players have more freedom and can choose happiness, or $s, rather than slaves to a system and contracts

power to people not big business (the AFL and clubs)

Unnecessary secrecy is a feature of the AFL.

The thing is other clubs know, managers know, certain players in the team often have some idea, media figures usually know, but they just can't handle being open with the public. It's the same way certain clubs handle their injury lists. Always vague.

It's rare you have a player like Gaff who just goes right up to the line before making a decision.

Testing the waters is fair enough, its not as if players dont stsy for unders as provrn by the Cats & Hawks over more than 10 years.

Players rarely stay for unders.

People are naive if they think Best Players At s**t Teams are demonstrating loyalty.

Personally, I'm not sure why players don't make it common knowledge they're going elsewhere - particularly as a free agent.

It seems like a good idea to let everyone know that they're at the club, they're committed to the season but they'll be leaving in the off season. That allows everyone to get it off their chest and just focus on what's ahead, without having the media circus affecting not only the player but the clubs.

It seems to me that it would cut out the speculation and absolute crap that the clubs and players involved have to deal with, it'd also cut it out for us as fans and deprive media parasites like Barrett and Tom Browne of crap to sling.

Win, win?

Because scummery wins friend.

That is the judeo-christian capitalist society we live in

And don't have the guts or honesty to treat it as a job and as the business that it is, for fear of criticism from some couch-sitting average Joes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might have to endure people boooooing them in the crowd. Big no no these days. Rustles all sorts of SJW jimmies.

Or you could have just typed “im not able to understand nuance and the reasons why booing this would be seen differently to another reason altogether for booing. Furrhermore, i am actually proud of the fact that i sit here and stew in my own ignorant feculence and wear it as a badge of honour”

Because it creates the exact same impression of you in the readers eye.

Unnecessary secrecy is a feature of the AFL.

The thing is other clubs know, managers know, certain players in the team often have some idea, media figures usually know, but they just can't handle being open with the public. It's the same way certain clubs handle their injury lists. Always vague.

It's rare you have a player like Gaff who just goes right up to the line before making a decision.
To say that the AFL is clandestine on almost everything is an understatement.
Its like a freemason lodge.

Players rarely stay for unders.

People are naive if they think Best Players At **** Teams are demonstrating loyalty.

While I agree with you to a certain extent, there is no way a bunch of Geelong players weren’t being paid unders for a chance of success. Barrel, Enright, Scarlett, Johnson all could have gotten far more then what they were paid, especially once the expansion clubs came along.

I agree with you mostly though.

The AFL industry and fans are very immature in regard to player movement and free agency compared to other leagues.

This is because player movement and drafting is a lot more restricted than other sports, it historically has happened once a year for a brief period.

The current attitudes towards player movement are immature because of that. Compare it to other sports where they can sign/trade/FA players multiple times through the year and it's not as big a deal.

What about Andrew "done deal" Gaff? We had 3 FAs last year weighing up offers. Two stayed, Lycett left. Everyone knew North wanted Gaff and he was considering it but in the end he stayed.

Given the paperwork can't be lodged until October anyway what happens if a player agrees to terms with a club, makes it public and then suffers a career threatening injury?

Needs to be a true mid season draft and trading. Then players who are surplus or who are already going can get out early (if they or the club want)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back