Why don't we remove Academy and Father son picks all together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't gets this anymore. Is ruining the game. Father son is a bit of a joke now. There is no family in AFL. It's all business and don't think any father of a club would give two shits about what team there son plays for. Who cares anyway. Father's are already proud that their son is making the big dollars playing AFL anywhere. AFL needs to move with the times and make a fairer comp it should be removed all together. I don't mind if Peter Materas son gets drafted to another club if it makes it better for the integrity of the game and even across the board for all clubs.

Let's just have a draft that's free for all. Hard enough rebuilding for poor sides as is but when a top side gets a number 1 pick because of academy or father son it isn't improving this game. Only making it worse for those poor clubs that should be having the best available with their picks.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Don't gets this anymore. Is ruining the game. Father son is a bit of a joke now. There is no family in AFL. It's all business and don't think any father of a club would give two shits about what team there son plays for. Who cares anyway Father's are already proud that their son is making the big dollars playing AFL anywhere. AFL needs to move with the times and make a fairer comp it should be removed all together. I don't mind if Peter Materas son gets drafted to another club if it makes it better for the integrity of the game and even across the board for all clubs.

Let's just have a draft that's free for all. Hard enough rebuilding for poor sides as is but when a top side gets a number 1 pick because of academy or father son it isn't improving this game. Only making it worse for those poor clubs that should be having the best available with their picks.

I COMPLETELY agree with you - except for getting rid of father sons. I agree with the fairness you are calling for.

GWS and GC don't get father sons yet - so we should compensate those clubs with accademies.

I can't enjoy Sydney Swans new young brilliant exciting tallent - these players were touted as guns three years ago and Sydney adopt their whole recruiting strategy around their accademy influx. They get top 3 picks while finishing top 4 - what a rebuild, the media say - "other clubs can take a leaf out of their book"

The Sydney "armchair" Swans again are flaunting their advantages and surely their time is up.

I COMPLETELY agree with you - except for father son.

GWS and GC don't get father sons yet - so compensate those clubs with accademies.

I can't enjoy Sydney Swans new young brilliant exciting tallent - these players were touted as guns three years ago and Sydney adopt their whole recruiting strategy around their accademy influx. They get top 3 picks while finishing top 4 - what a rebuild, the media say - "other clubs can take a leaf out of their book"

The Sydney "armchair" Swans again are flaunting their advantages and surely their time is up.
It makes it less complicated to remove all of these free picks.
We don't need it and isn't doing anything to this game. We don't need father son picks either. This game isn't what it was back in the day. It's all about the money. Let's just make it what it is so it's simple. Let's just have a draft with no free handouts to any club.

It makes it less complicated to remove all of these free picks.
We don't need it and isn't doing anything to this game. We don't need father son picks either. This game isn't what it was back in the day. It's all about the money. Let's just make it what it is so it's simple. Let's just have a draft with no free handouts to any club.

Nah - we need the romance of Father Sons.

Yes to More fairness - but every club benefits from father son (except GWS and GC).

The Hawks, despite our many great teams, rarely produce FS talent, but still I love seeing it for other teams.

Academies yes. I don't think the positive effect it has had in terms of a higher contribution in non-AFL related areas is as conclusive as we are lead to believe. There will no doubt be players who come through who might not have been involved without academies, but I don't think it would be the case for most. Having direct access for so many years before a player is draft eligible is an enormous leg up that just shouldn't happen. Yes, this applies to us getting Ugle-Hagan as well. Of course he'd be playing footy regardless of whether he was in an academy or not. But we got access to a number 1 pick just... because? That's not right.

Father/Son is never going to happen. There would be too much outrage.

Why

It's an important part of feeling connected to a club. Ultimately AFL becomes what it is when people support it and stay connected.

I have no issue with Daicos. sons playing at Collingwood. Remember they still have to USE a draft pick to get them, it's not like they're getting them without cost.

F & S is no different to go home factor. Which W.A gets a fair chunk of, since only two clubs to go home to.
So what you are trying to say is it's there because of the interstate go home factor.

Well we shouldn't disregard the Geelong go to contender factor thats happening.
Can't see it any difference in Eagles and Geelong with amount of players trading to each club over the years.

Still doesn't make it even because no one wants to go home to a crap performing Vic club.
If we need a father son pick in Vic to even it up then it should be given on merit of the poorest performing side gets the father son pick.

Make it a Victoria father son pick for all Vic clubs to get any father pick that's eligible for it.
Kangas if they win spoon which is a given should be ok to pick up anyone in draft even if it's father son picks from other Vic clubs. Should be given choice of bottom order of ladder like the draft.

Last edited:
Don't gets this anymore. Is ruining the game. Father son is a bit of a joke now. There is no family in AFL. It's all business and don't think any father of a club would give two shits about what team there son plays for. Who cares anyway. Father's are already proud that their son is making the big dollars playing AFL anywhere. AFL needs to move with the times and make a fairer comp it should be removed all together. I don't mind if Peter Materas son gets drafted to another club if it makes it better for the integrity of the game and even across the board for all clubs.

Great IF we dont want to grow the game. The heartland States have many obvious advantages over the developing States.
Giving the heartland States academies simply pandered to noise from the usual suspects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Academies yes. I don't think the positive effect it has had in terms of a higher contribution in non-AFL related areas is as conclusive as we are lead to believe. There will no doubt be players who come through who might not have been involved without academies, but I don't think it would be the case for most. Having direct access for so many years before a player is draft eligible is an enormous leg up that just shouldn't happen. Yes, this applies to us getting Ugle-Hagan as well. Of course he'd be playing footy regardless of whether he was in an academy or not. But we got access to a number 1 pick just... because? That's not right.

Father/Son is never going to happen. There would be too much outrage.
The biggest Rort is the north Melbourne academy in Tasmania how does a club get a whole state that’s 100% already football playing public you can’t tell me if north didn’t have there academy there taryn Thomas wouldn’t be playing afl

The biggest Rort is the north Melbourne academy in Tasmania how does a club get a whole state that’s 100% already football playing public you can’t tell me if north didn’t have there academy there taryn Thomas wouldn’t be playing afl
Your obsession with north is frankly bizarre.
Scrap academys all together

Give us and West Coast an academy and we’re playing off in the Grand Final pretty much every season. Do it.

We have no advantages of being a Victorian club, we get no home finals.

giphy.gif

At one point, there were quite a few F-S picks that ended up getting traded to other clubs anyway - probably at a rate higher than players taken freely from the draft. It somewhat undermined the argument that familial dynasties are so important that they're worthy of a leg-up in the draft.

Has calmed down a bit in recent years, but I'd still be perfectly happy with getting rid of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back