Why has Eddie McGuire gone quiet with his whole 'Collingwood are the biggest club in Australia' narrative?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
When asked Jan 22nd 2020, Eddie responded ...

One of the things that drives you mad… you can pick a winner out of anything at the moment,” Ed said in response.

“You might be the number one team that’s playing out of Marvel Stadium, or number one in the western suburbs, the Bombers are going well, they’re making a lot of money out of their poker machines…”

“It’s a little bit of detail for someone who hasn’t looked at another club!” Darc said in response.

When in 2010 it was a bold and powerful statement, Collingwood are the biggest, whilst the host of the footy show, the narrative was the same.

In 2020 however, Richmond have surpassed them in both home attendances and membership consistency since the Tigers began making finals. On field success you couldnt argue Hawthorn are miles ahead of next best, with Richmond, Geelong and Sydney making multiple grand finals the past decade. Financial revenue's catalogue goes firmly with West Coast, while net profit places Richmond and Essendon firmly at the top.

Whilst McGuire's comments are right, its too hard to comment on who is number 1, its a far cry from the boastful boy from Broady who would tell anyone willing to listen - the pies were no.1

One thing is for sure, the closest answer to that question, the biggest sporting club in Australia, is indeed Richmond. Its tiger time and until the sun sets on Richmond's third era of dominance across the board, Mcguire will be playing cartwheels with this line of questioning.

With a little luck (or from my persepctive - bad luck), Collingwood are not far off it, they are always thereabouts as THE CLUB. It's a beautiful thing at the moment, listening to Pie supporters back pedal just a little, not be quite so up and about, but I never forget how quickly they can bounce back to that status. They have mass numbers, like the Mighty Tiges, and sustained success makes a huge difference. Personally I'd like to see them earn a few more wooden spoons, but that's not happening anytime soon:'(

When asked Jan 22nd 2020, Eddie responded ...

One of the things that drives you mad… you can pick a winner out of anything at the moment,” Ed said in response.

“You might be the number one team that’s playing out of Marvel Stadium, or number one in the western suburbs, the Bombers are going well, they’re making a lot of money out of their poker machines…”

“It’s a little bit of detail for someone who hasn’t looked at another club!” Darc said in response.

When in 2010 it was a bold and powerful statement, Collingwood are the biggest, whilst the host of the footy show, the narrative was the same.

In 2020 however, Richmond have surpassed them in both home attendances and membership consistency since the Tigers began making finals. On field success you couldnt argue Hawthorn are miles ahead of next best, with Richmond, Geelong and Sydney making multiple grand finals the past decade. Financial revenue's catalogue goes firmly with West Coast, while net profit places Richmond and Essendon firmly at the top.

Whilst McGuire's comments are right, its too hard to comment on who is number 1, its a far cry from the boastful boy from Broady who would tell anyone willing to listen - the pies were no.1

One thing is for sure, the closest answer to that question, the biggest sporting club in Australia, is indeed Richmond. Its tiger time and until the sun sets on Richmond's third era of dominance across the board, Mcguire will be playing cartwheels with this line of questioning.
Also notice when they were #1 they spruiked thier Membership count, now it's hidden from sight...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in todays HUN about Pies investing in share market???? What other AFL clubs don't invest in the share market? Do the HUN just reprint press releases from the Pres of "former " number one club in AFL? Spare us please.
look-at-me is alleged to have said some time ago he runs the media in this state. maybe there's something to that.

If Richmond can maintain success for the next 5 years we will have another generation of Richmond followers who's parents were not a Tigers fan
a 8/9 year old in 2017 (when kids actually change clubs if they ever do) will be 18 years old and will be life long supporters.

This is what happened from 67-74

If Richmond can maintain success for the next 5 years we will have another generation of Richmond followers who's parents were not a Tigers fan
a 8/9 year old in 2017 (when kids actually change clubs if they ever do) will be 18 years old and will be life long supporters.

This is what happened from 67-74
Great analysis . That's exactly what happened for Richmond. Saw us through some sh*tty times.

However It doesn't seem to translate for the Hawks ( Success wise , the best club of our lifetime ) who have had three great eras in my life (I'm 52) . I'd say the attraction for the Tigers is the ever present emotion and REAL TRADITION ( Take note Port Power (est 1997) , not contrived but REAL ) .

We've klearnt our lessons well , we will have sustained success and remain at the forefront for a long time.

I love this club.

Great analysis . That's exactly what happened for Richmond. Saw us through some sh*tty times.

However It doesn't seem to translate for the Hawks ( Success wise , the best club of our lifetime ) who have had three great eras in my life (I'm 52) . I'd say the attraction for the Tigers is the ever present emotion and REAL TRADITION ( Take note Port Power (est 1997) , not contrived but REAL ) .

We've klearnt our lessons well , we will have sustained success and remain at the forefront for a long time.

I love this club.
thats because hawks had terrible support all the way until the late 2000s and it only just became ok during the 3peat. They are a medium sized club with a lot of genuine bandwagoners who have now disappeared. Richmond was always a big club

also the fact that they wear brown has to be a factor too. they dont pickup as many new supporters because of it

I love this club.
There are alot of Hawks supporters but they are a different breed to our tigers brothers and sisters, They are more subdued and less crazy but they are there and you see them when they win but not when they are not winning.

The reason that McGuire has gone quiet about his whole 'Collingwood are the biggest club in Australia' narrative?

The same reason Ive gone quiet about being a super stud with fame and riches.

Because Im NOT.

But at least I never put it out there in the first place.

I love this club.

When the Hawks were in a position where they had to consider a merge with Melbourne, my thoughts at the time were.. How the hell can they be in that position given the large amount of success they had through my life time up to that stage. Their drop off in the nineties wasn't that bad.

We had to really stink it up big time in the latter half of the eighties to force our tin rattle. (and boy did we do that)

I suspect there have always been more Collingwood supporters out there than any other club. They just have fewer people willing to commit to being paying members. In 2019 their average crowds were 4000 per match higher than ours ... if only because more people turned up hoping to see them beaten.

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2019.html

Let's leave sleeping dogs lie ...

I married a nominal Pie supporter. It was her brother's choice, since discarded for family unity, if one can discard something one never really had.

Financial revenue's catalogue goes firmly with West Coast, while net profit places Richmond and Essendon firmly at the top.

This is untrue

As far as revenue generated, Richmond is number 1 in the AFL

we are also number 1 in home crowds, and memberships

It is not even a debate any more, Richmond is not only the number 1 football club in Australia, but the largest sporting organisation in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back