Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhhhh ... 2016.

Since then the Dogs have paid off their crippling eight figure debt and bounced their membership hard.
That really tells the truth of that Grand Final and how Swans were screwed by the umpires. Especially in the first half where the count was 15-3. Where also there was a free given out every time Sydney attacked. Mind you similar was perpetrated on Hawks and GWS to get Bullies to the GF

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

...when are you referring to? last time those talks happened St. Kilda were a good club so why would they be in that conversation
Saints have won one premiership. They have only looked like winning one more. They have been in financial trouble for decades. The AFL has rescued them on many occasions. Their club ethic has always been very debatable or shaky. This is why they have not succeeded.

I think Victoria cannot viably sustain 10 teams. Eventually it has to Fall to 8 then in the end to 6. As it stands 20 teams are at the same state the VFL was in when Swans moved to Sydney, in difficult financial situations. Melbourne is not just struggling it is close to bankruptcy. Saints are just holding on. Before Tigers won the flag they were in trouble. Bullies are rescued by state government and AFL grants. Even a premiership did not help their finances greatly. The pokies in their entertainment precinct did though. Half paid for by Victorian tax payers. Swans get no such benefits from NSW government.

Herpa derp, my old 'cant survive in Vic so we will move up North and live on handouts there' mate.

So many interstaters get their rocks off wanting to kill Vic teams. Small brains and massive chips

So to clarify you are complaining about Non-vics deathriding Victorian clubs, but think the opposite is childish.... right....

Give yourself an uppercut.

I'll say this once and once only, and I'll do it slowly as you seem to have a problem with comprehension - I don't care about the whole VFL - AFL debate. It is here and it is what it is. What I do care about is this perverse joy anyone outside of Vic has at the idea that 100 year plus clubs should be snuffed out just so they can get their jollies. You have read something, decided something else, and want to fight with me on it. So yeah... childish.

I'll say this once and once only, and I'll do it slowly as you seem to have a problem with comprehension - I don't care about the whole VFL - AFL debate. It is here and it is what it is. What I do care about is this perverse joy anyone outside of Vic has at the idea that 100 year plus clubs should be snuffed out just so they can get their jollies. You have read something, decided something else, and want to fight with me on it. So yeah... childish.

And yet you don't see it the other way.

Childish would be carrying on like a pork chop with such comments like "getting your jollies"

But good luck to you.

The AFL wouldn't bin 100s of years of history with it's Melbourne teams. They would just relegate four of them back to purely VFL status and install two new franchises that also fail financially for ten years trying to roll the memberships of four clubs into two new Frankenstein monsters.

Why hasn't there been more pressure on Hawthorn to exist gambling?

This could apply to St Kilda also, oh and Richmond

I think Victoria cannot viably sustain 10 teams. Eventually it has to Fall to 8 then in the end to 6.

Been saying the same thing for years and I 'm originally from Melbourne too.

In an 18-team competition, having 9-teams in the one city is stretching the resources way too far. The Lions & the Swans were moved out (both in varying degrees of professionalism & fairness) so it's not like it has never happened before.

Saints to relocate to the Sunshine Coast plus North & Footscray to merge would be my starting point.

Bullies are rescued by state government and AFL grants. Even a premiership did not help their finances greatly. The pokies in their entertainment precinct did though. Half paid for by Victorian tax payers. Swans get no such benefits from NSW government

The Dogs are in a significantly better position financially since winning the premiership. The clubs debt has been completely erased and the club has got rid of all of their pokies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why hasn't there been more pressure on Hawthorn to exist gambling?

This could apply to St Kilda also, oh and Richmond
Plenty of pressure to exit gaming, but the club needs it as we don't get gifted favorable fixtures (we are lucky we even get a home game v collingwood!)and dont get anything else from the AFL
Taking money from vulnerable people is ok if you win premiership don't you know.
Laughable a saints fan having a dig at pokies given their club cracked the shits at the council for not approving plans for a new social club

Mitchell Madness said:
Laughable a saints fan having a dig at pokies given their club cracked the shits at the council for not approving plans for a new social club

I understand your point and the sentiment but we're not posting in a 20 page thread about whether the Hawks or Richmond should be wound up are we.

Been saying the same thing for years and I 'm originally from Melbourne too.

In an 18-team competition, having 9-teams in the one city is stretching the resources way too far. The Lions & the Swans were moved out (both in varying degrees of professionalism & fairness) so it's not like it has never happened before.

Saints to relocate to the Sunshine Coast plus North & Footscray to merge would be my starting point.

Why would the AFL relocate a club to the Sunshine Coast when Gold Coast is a basketcase that the AFL needs to bail out with extra draft picks?

It always becomes that because it is obvious that it needs to occur

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gold Coast is a more obvious problem for the AFL than any of the Victorian clubs, if any club is going to fold or relocate it's them.

It always becomes that because it is obvious that it needs to occur

No it becomes that because people from traditional footy states feel hard done by over the economic reality that Victoria always was, and always will be, the locus of the competition.

You realise that’s the case for half the clubs in the competition right also Geelong is far from a financial power house how do you think you would be going if you didn’t receive all the government funding you have to upgrade your stadium you would be playing in a run Down dump !
They were sponsored by ford for 90 odd years

Last edited:
If a team in a traditional market needs a "boutique" stadium, they are in the wrong competition or location

The stadium is already there, all we need is for the AFL to schedule a couple of games against low drawing interstate clubs and we are laughing.

20k at Moorabbin would make more money for the club than 30-35k at Marvel but that would need the AFL and corporate cronies agreeing to forego direct revenue in favour of the Saints getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back