Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I often wonder why St. Kilda didn't do better after their move to Moorabbin and the introduction of country zoning in the mid 1960s. Sure, the Saints were in the 1965 grand final and won it in 1966, but the nucleus of this side was formed before these changes. Moorabbin and the surrounding suburbs were big growth areas and the Saints country zone was Ballarat, one of Victoria's biggest regional cities. Yet after being reasonably competitive in the late 60s and early 70s, the Saints slipped down the ladder in the mid 1970s and were easybeats until the end of the 1980s, with country zoning now abolished and the Moorabbin move long past.
Because the other clubs screwed us out of Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula Zones and then screwed themselves by giving it to Hawthorn.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
No you didn't. You lost two grand finals in a row.

And a finally decent admin doesn't change the fact you don't have the list to make top-4.

um we DREW a grand final. so how did we lose two grand finals in a row?

toepoke and a bounce of a ball.
minor premiers too.

yes we nearly won back to back flags. ask any serious person.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not running anyone down, I had them in the 19-25 bracket. Players 19-25 will more than likely play 18+ games with a normal run of injuries.

Newnes & Dunstan are 2 players in my opinion who need to be phased out, Acres I like but still more on potential than output, he's not averaging 72% game time because he's choice no.1 in any position, but he provides a point of difference size wise.

FWIW, my depth chart is as follows, I'd have Acres and Newnes alongside Dunstan & Sinclair.

I personally prefer Gresham forward, if a midfielder goes down he slides into the midfield rotation with one of the forward depth taking his flank.

View attachment 773257

Shows we need mids and another young ruck/key forward.

Ben King will be nice in 2 years.

Cerra in 2020 and BKing in 2021
Flag in 2022. boom

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
um we DREW a grand final. so how did we lose two grand finals in a row?

toepoke and a bounce of a ball.
minor premiers too.

yes we nearly won back to back flags. ask any serious person.

My bad. You lost a grand final to Geelong, drew a second against Collingwood and then got belted in the replay. Counting grand finals lost as "premierships basically won" is nothing short of delusional.

As for the rest if you think you're:

1. Getting Cerra at the end of next year

2. That Cerra and two 20 year old KPPs are getting you a premiership

Then you're really continuing that delusional form.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
why does it give people satisfaction to try and get peoples teams to relocate/merge/fold?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I think sometimes people need to stop and think about how monumentally damaging it would be to lose your club as a lifetime, passionate fan. Can't begin to imagine what it was like for Fitzroy fans.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The difference between St. Kilda and Fitzroy/South Melb is that both at the time of their end were horribly in debt. South had been losing something like $150k for several years in a row. If St. Kilda can keep their books balanced they will continue to hide out of sight of the AFL grim reaper.
They are borderline, if they slip up once, well, the AFL will go marching in.
I thought the saints weren't doing great financially and received the most help from the AFL.

I'm probably wrong and have just manufactured that out of nowhere though.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
My bad. You lost a grand final to Geelong, drew a second against Collingwood and then got belted in the replay. Counting grand finals lost as "premierships basically won" is nothing short of delusional.

Enjoy acres :)

Hill Brad Hill baby!!

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
They are getting a fair bit of money from the AFL to keep their head above water.
Good to know I didn't make that part up.

I vaguely remember reading that all clubs get some sort of money from the AFL, but if we were to ignore those funds, do you know if the saints would be in the black each year?

I don't want them to fold or merge mind you, I just thought that they constantly ran at a loss.

Roaming Lou

Senior List
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Good to know I didn't make that part up.

I vaguely remember reading that all clubs get some sort of money from the AFL, but if we were to ignore those funds, do you know if the saints would be in the black each year?

I don't want them to fold or merge mind you, I just thought that they constantly ran at a loss.
Yeah I'd be sad to see them go

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Matthews and Barker are pretty much the only names to have come from the "st kilda" region from south of the city into the city of Kingston.

The Frankston/peninsula area, despite technically being fringe saints region, has always been more spread for support.
I don't think losing st kilda would have a big impact, but again, it isn't about if they're sustainable or not, more about how they be escaped pressure
?

The AFL would lose 1 game per week.

That's instantly a 10% drop in the TV deal, plus the loss of probably about 100 customers.

Why on earth would the AFL want that?

The money the AFL 'handout' to clubs is a pittance compared to what having 18 teams in the comp pulls in in TV money and exposure to the game.

If that ever changes, then that's when the AFL will move on clubs that generate less than others.

But until then, why would the AFL just throw money away by closing down a club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Missed a massive opportunity to get back to the Junction Oval recently. That won't come around again for decades. Dumb move by the AFL really to let that slip to cricket Victoria. But they gained so much in terms of power at the MCG that you can understand why.

Anyway, I kinda agree the pressure is different for the Saints, not internally or with their fans, but from the media/neutral fans.

The Saints are the Bohemian club of the AFL, it's the club musos/actors/artists support, it was the party club once too.

Stupid stereotypes perhaps, but still there and pretty powerful.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s funny hawks fans starting to get salty realising there getting kicked out of Tassie in 12 months time no more cash 💰 cow to milk back to loosing money in Melbourne you guys were as broke as any club Pryor to playing in tas short memory that’s all I’ve got to say 👍

I mean that’s great and all but if Hawthorn walks away from financial equalisation then the Saints will fold, and very quickly too

With Dingley (and with coverage at Box Hill City Oval, Waverley Park and Glenferrie Rd) Hawthorn is moving south and east so I’m not surprised that some of the Saints are threatened

So yeah

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I'm not running anyone down, I had them in the 19-25 bracket. Players 19-25 will more than likely play 18+ games with a normal run of injuries.

Newnes & Dunstan are 2 players in my opinion who need to be phased out, Acres I like but still more on potential than output, he's not averaging 72% game time because he's choice no.1 in any position, but he provides a point of difference size wise.

FWIW, my depth chart is as follows, I'd have Acres and Newnes alongside Dunstan & Sinclair.

I personally prefer Gresham forward, if a midfielder goes down he slides into the midfield rotation with one of the forward depth taking his flank.

View attachment 773257
Excellent job on the colour coding there mate - nice work.
A couple of observations from it:
-Ryder isn't really a forward, and Battle played as a defender mainly. Key forwards look a bit thin.
-I've always though Dunstan was under-rated. His stats certainly stack up really well.
-Not sure how many games you'd expect from Hanneberry. Broken foot, ECHO.
-Hope Roberton is OK. Best for him to get his health right. Terrific young man, but probably shouldn't play AFL again. It's just a game.
-Not sure what the rift is between Carlisle and the club, but clearly something's up. Perhaps it's his back? attitude?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers

Imagine what Belly will ask if they chase Cerra. Holy cow - it'll make the Tim Kelly deal look like a bargain.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
Excellent job on the colour coding there mate - nice work.
A couple of observations from it:
-Ryder isn't really a forward, and Battle played as a defender mainly. Key forwards look a bit thin.
-I've always though Dunstan was under-rated. His stats certainly stack up really well.
-Not sure how many games you'd expect from Hanneberry. Broken foot, ECHO.
-Hope Roberton is OK. Best for him to get his health right. Terrific young man, but probably shouldn't play AFL again. It's just a game.
-Not sure what the rift is between Carlisle and the club, but clearly something's up. Perhaps it's his back? attitude?

Ryder will probably be around 70% game time 40 ruck 30 forward depending on match up.
Battle is a forward, he went back to cover Carlisle and to a lesser extent Roberton. With Carlisle back, Roberton hopefully back and the recruitment of Howard he goes forward.
Dunstan goes missing too often for too long, unfortunately he doesn't have an AFL build or tank..
Hannebery is best 22, form and fitness will dictate the week to week line ups, obviously.

Carlisle's a meat head, insane amount of talent though, unfortunately he's one of the best kicks in our team.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I mean that’s great and all but if Hawthorn walks away from financial equalisation then the Saints will fold, and very quickly too

With Dingley (and with coverage at Box Hill City Oval, Waverley Park and Glenferrie Rd) Hawthorn is moving south and east so I’m not surprised that some of the Saints are threatened

So yeah
No club is is walking away from equalisation unless you plan on starting your own comp and I’m not to worried about dingley the plans look great for the training centre ect but you guys are a long way of having the funding required and the land may be large but it’s actually in a very poor location not exactly a great sell to players you guys also don’t own glenferie oval or box hill lol yes you do own Waverley but you’re facilities the are quite dated and would be in the bottom 4 in the comp !

_Rake_

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think there's much pressure because honestly I don't think anybody (in the general sense) has any expectations for them to succeed. They just seem irrelevent (and I have a fondness for them, 2nd team etc) in many conversations whilst going through the motions for the past 8 years to add to an extremely unsuccessful history. In a nutshell, I think it's the equivalent of a year 9 drop-out not becoming a doctor or lawyer but is just a part time labourer, that's fine, it's expected. But you'd expect more from triple degree scholar etc. the thing that makes it more compex is that we have a salary cap and a supposedly equal trade/draft period. So it's disappointing, but try are not alone.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
The Bulldogs built their flag on a few factors:
1. Hired a very good coach to give them a tactical advantage - a smart move but not available to every club all the time.
Where's his "tactical advantage" been since?
They slumped to 15th this year, twice, before getting smacked by 10 goals in an EF. After not making finals the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back