Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where's his "tactical advantage" been since?
They slumped to 15th this year, twice, before getting smacked by 10 goals in an EF. After not making finals the last 2 years.
11 of their premiership 22 no longer on the list. Things move quickly. I'm not saying Bevo is a super coach forever but he stumbled upon an advantage at the right time/right place. The kind of dumb luck that rarely happens for a smaller club because they aren't up the pointy end all that often. I think they'll bounce back the next few years but that's not the point. The point was one Dogs flag doesn't mean the smaller clubs aren't at a disadvantage.

Dogflogger

Senior List
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do people think the clubs at Etihad get a fair return financially on the matches they play there?

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
cos they aint putting pressure one themselves.. cos they are aren't likeable.. cos they aren't wanting to be in the mix..

shambolic and give me a hand grenade...

They won't fold. The league is expanding not shrinking. Won't be long before we have 20 teams.

Having said that, it was bizarre how OTT the fawning over the Saints's list management has been this year.

IN: Hill, Ryder, Butler, Jones, Howard
OUT: (inc) Bruce, Acres, Steven, Armitage, Longer, McCartin, Newnes

Outside of Hill, their outs are better than their ins, and they've demolished 2 years at the draft to do it.

Then you get comments from Montagna like "they absolutely won this trade period.”

If I'd just come off a season where we'd finished bottom 5, and was told our hand at the draft was 51 and 82, and we'd taken the chainsaw to next year as well, I'd be furious.

The media reward turnover during trade period, especially if Big Names move.

11 of their premiership 22 no longer on the list. Things move quickly. I'm not saying Bevo is a super coach forever but he stumbled upon an advantage at the right time/right place. The kind of dumb luck that rarely happens for a smaller club because they aren't up the pointy end all that often. I think they'll bounce back the next few years but that's not the point. The point was one Dogs flag doesn't mean the smaller clubs aren't at a disadvantage.

It's a vicious cycle. More money -> more success -> more money.
Yeah, it's not set in stone that one leads to the next, but it definitely improves the chances.
Conversely, less money -> less success -> less money.

Richmond's fund raising effort 'fighting tiger' was all about that...We didn't *need* the money, but getting it was aimed at jumping from the 'less' to the 'more' track before we sunk too far down the spiral.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do people think the clubs at Etihad get a fair return financially on the matches they play there?

We do now but spent the past 15 years helping to pay off Marvel Stadium for the competition.

That screwed our revenue base making us the patsies for any weird fixturing the AFL directed us to do (Townsville, Cairns, Darwin, China etc).

Hopefully we get to a point where we can play home games at Moorabbin ala Geelong against the non-Vic clubs and make some money rather than having to write the AFL a cheque for the pleasure of playing at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
How bout the bottom Melbourne team every year is forced to relocate and play in Hobart as the 'Tassie Convicts'. The Convicts may only win their traditional strip back by finishing above another Melbourne based team at the end of the following year to replace them.
The Tassie convicts reserve team stays constant providing locals a pathway into the AFL. The team relocating get to nominate 30 players to take + use of the reserve team players.
No team has to relocate permanently - keeping tradition - gives great meaning to bottom of the ladder clashes - stops tanking. A kind of a relegation battle late season.
I reckon it would be excellent for the League, and Tasmania.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I thought it was media consensus that Essendon won trade period.

Because, you know, big names didn’t move.
There are certainly different takes on 'winners'. Personally, I think it's a bit of a crock, particularly with player movement so fluid these days. Avery club is going to be involved in trades at some level. I guess clubs just make the most of the hand in front of them. It's pretty hard to stuff it up completely as long as you A) improve your team for round 1 without destroying your draft or B) Improve your draft without destroying round 1 with a bit of C) complete trades for quality players who nominate your club.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Saints will be unstoppable lightning quick
we have
- Hill
- Hind
- Jones
- Kent
- Parker
- Long
- Howard

thats blistering pace. Expect us to use the wings next year. then bang to big maxy, membrey, ryder, marshal!!

Wasn't that the North Melbourne tactic at the start of the year? Use their pace to break through presses? How did that go?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Wasn't that the North Melbourne tactic at the start of the year? Use their pace to break through presses? How did that go?

Did you miss the part where we sacked our coach because he said he hadn't planned properly for the new rule changes and 6-6-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back