Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah

Yeah it was madness buy rod butters president at the time in the two games we played in Launceston we were earning more then the other 9 home games at marvel put together there reason was we had a poor playing record in Launceston and were contending for finals was a crazy decision as st kilda naturaly has big following in Tasmania going back to the 1960 teams having a lot of locals in the team if we stuck it out I could have seen us having 15-20 thousand members in tas !
And Freos only win in Tassie was against your mob by a point. Freo has never been close to winning in tassie. Maybe a close loss to your mob in the previous year in 2005 and a narrow hawks loss.

Amazing how most vic sides get pillaged in the Docklands deal, even if you get 30,000 a game. I dont know what the rent is and I can understand why the AFL wanted to buy out docklands.

On the other hand, you get money at tassie games regardless of how many people rock up. Mainly as previously said, the Tassie government are desperate to have AFL teams there, they would charge your mob $750,000 a game. Sure, you had a bad record there, but the extra 3 million made up for it. I mean if the Saints stuck with that Tassie deal, for 10 years, thats an extra 30 million for the saints.

Funny how in 2013, Geelong Hosted Freo in that 2013 Qualifying final. Cats make more money getting 35,000 at Geelong than getting 50,000 in docklands. Again, mainly due to Cheap rent.

I am Suprised Carlton dont stump up some cash to redevelop Princes Park and Bring up the capacity to 25-30,000 seats. I am sure Carlton fans are more than happy to play 2-3 games a year there against low drawing sides.

StylesMedia

Draftee
Jan 1, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
A Good Chance St. Kilda will ever get Successful is a Merger, With Nearby VFL Club Frankston Dolphins since both Clubs share the Red, White and Black, it'll make Sense that the Club will play Matches at Frankston Park as the Frankston Saints.

A Good Chance St. Kilda will ever get Successful is a Merger, With Nearby VFL Club Frankston Dolphins since both Clubs share the Red, White and Black, it'll make Sense that the Club will play Matches at Frankston Park as the Frankston Saints.

Frankston would at least be successful

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Yes, with their list combined with ours we would be an instant contender.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
And where would you final new Markets? Canberra? Newcastle?
Not necessarily new markets, but relocating to dedicated markets.

There are two clear Victorian regions , Western Victoria (based at Ballarat) and Albury-Wodonga. Move the Western Bulldogs full time to Ballarat, they do not even need to rename themselves. One of the other small clubs can go to Albury.
Tasmania is the other obvious existing region that is crying out for their own team, move a club there.

That has dealt with three clubs, the remaining can be consolidated via merger, or relocating to emerging markets.

Next to be exploited should be Northern Australia, share a team between Cairns and Darwin, half a traditional market, the other a growth opportunity, neither with the population to sustain in their own right, but could gather strong support between them and leveraging off an existing team's supporter base.

Longer term Newcastle and New Zealand both have potential.

Should be merged with Melbourne into the Melbourne Saints.
Train at Moorabbin. VFL aligned team at Cranbourne. Casey Saints rolls off the tongue.

Then merge the Roos and Dogs into the West Melbourne Kangaroos.
Train at Arden St. VFL team at Whitten Oval.

Bring in Tassie team. 8 games in Hobart, 4 in Launceston with a guarantee of playing 2 of Essendon, Richmond, Carlton or Collingwood in Launceston each year for the first 5 years.

17 team comp.
Play every other team once, then half the comp a 2nd time = 24 games. Alternate the double up each year.

Season plays over 26 rounds so that teams get multiple byes.

Top 8 play finals.

No preseason cup/AFLX etc to account for longer season.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think, the Saints "deserved" to win a flag in the recent Ross Lyon era, most likely in 2009. Collingwood were the worthy winners in 2010. If Geelong won in 2008 as they should have, maybe they don't win in 2009 and justice is done. If that happened I think people would see the Saints in a different light today.

I think, the Saints "deserved" to win a flag in the recent Ross Lyon era, most likely in 2009. Collingwood were the worthy winners in 2010. If Geelong won in 2008 as they should have, maybe they don't win in 2009 and justice is done. If that happened I think people would see the Saints in a different light today.

They deserve what they earn, no free handouts otherwise I’m sure Melbourne deserve one of their 80’s losses.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Why hasn't there been more pressure on this s**t thread?
Because there seems to be a general consensus that St Kilda fluked a spot in the national competition just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

They have contributed much less to the game than say Norwood, East Fremantle or even Southport, yet they are now one of the 18 most significant clubs in the game through a quirk of history.

In time they will be talked about with fondness in the same way we talk about Fitzroy and South Melbourne, for now let them enjoy it while it lasts.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
They deserve what they earn, no free handouts otherwise I’m sure Melbourne deserve one of their 80’s losses.

No I don't think so. Like I posted elsewhere, Collingwood in the 60s and 70-80s, Geelong 88-95 and the Saints under Ross Lyon are 3 great teams who should by rights have won flags.

I never thought for example that my team under Northey or Daniher were in that class.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
No I don't think so. Like I posted elsewhere, Collingwood in the 60s and 70-80s, Geelong 88-95 and the Saints under Ross Lyon are 3 great teams who should by rights have won flags.

I never thought for example that my team under Northey or Daniher were in that class.

John Northey had a Solid run with the demons from 1986-1992. They made finals from 1987-1991. However, Ron Barrassi laid the foundations from 1981-85. Sure everyone would say that as a coach, Barassi was successful at carlton and North Melbourne. But when it came to the demons...... Sure, on the surface sure they won 33 games in 5 years from 1981 to 1985, But he saw the long term view. Barassi punted on youth. Short term it hurt, Long term it set up the demons to eventually play finals from 1987-1991.

Some of those blokes that played under Barassi from 1981-5, played in that 1988 VFL grand final vs the hawks.

Looking back now, You could say that Barassis demons years in the early 1980s was under appreciated.

NeXus Nick

All Australian
Jan 28, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why hasn't there been more pressure on this s**t thread?
You are a co
Because there seems to be a general consensus that St Kilda fluked a spot in the national competition just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

They have contributed much less to the game than say Norwood, East Fremantle or even Southport, yet they are now one of the 18 most significant clubs in the game through a quirk of history.

In time they will be talked about with fondness in the same way we talk about Fitzroy and South Melbourne, for now let them enjoy it while it lasts.
Hey Screech, did you know that you are a complete and utter MORON.

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

And yet we'll always be more important than Adelaide because we're not from a sheethole like South Australia.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

Why shouldn't we get a free handout? The Bulldogs and Richmond got free handouts when the umpires gave them an armchair ride in the 2016 and 2017 GFs, if only we were lucky enough to play interstate teams in 2009 and 2010 and get the same armchair ride.

That's debatable and none of those clubs would have more support than St Kilda if they joined the AFL.

Based on what? Because you happen to disagree?

What reasons can you provide that St Kilda is more viable than Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Hawthorn?

Why do we need to prove that we're more viable than those clubs? There are several other AFL clubs that aren't more viable than them either.

Why shouldn't we get a free handout? The Bulldogs and Richmond got free handouts when the umpires gave them an armchair ride in the 2016 and 2017 GFs, if only we were lucky enough to play interstate teams in 2009 and 2010 and get the same armchair ride.

That's debatable and none of those clubs would have more support than St Kilda if they joined the AFL.

Why do we need to prove that we're more viable than those clubs? There are several other AFL clubs that aren't more viable than them either.

Excuses.
They’re useless.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
The AFL in 2050 will comprise the following teams.....

Melbourne Kangaroos
Geelong Bulldogs
St Kilda Saints
Richmond Tigers
Collingwood Magpies
Hawthorn Hawks
Carlton Blues
Essendon Bombers

West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Swan Districts
Peel Thunder

Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Sturt Double Blues

Sydney Swans
Greater Western Sydney Giants

Brisbane Lions
Gold Coast Suns

Tasmania Devils

and this thread will still be active in 2050 as the Saints still wouldn’t won a Premiership, but a handful of wooden spoons...

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crowded market that once the national competition matures will only hold up to 5 teams, if they are not more attractive than the other clubs in that market, then their days are numbered. It is a gradual process, two clubs have already made way (Fitzroy and South Melbourne) and more will follow in time, St Kilda would be one of the next in line - what are they doing to secure their future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back