Why hasnt there been more pressure on st kilda over the years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you serious?

Basically in the saints most successful era in their existence (2004-2011) their membership plateaued in the low 40,000’s (from a base of 22,000 in 2002) and crowds in the mid 30,000’s

Hawthorn membership ballooned from a base of 28,000 in 2006 to 70,000 plus in 2013 and now 80,000 steady in what has been a mediocre stretch for the club since the 2015 flag (in relative terms)

Between 2008-2017 Hawthorn consistently averaged more than 40,000 to home and away games (with several games against non Vic opposition drawing 50k, 60k and 70k) despite playing 4 of 22 games in Launceston.

Even before Hawthorn’s extended run in the upper echelons, the Hawks had a stronger membership than the Saints in all seasons from 1997-2008 (including 1997 and 1998) save 2005 and 2006 (when the Saints were effectively a kick away from the GF) and Hawthorn finished 15th and 14th (and even then, the saints finished with 3,000 more than Hawthorn only)

But I guess you have ‘vibe’
St Kilda fans must not have as many dogs and cats ;)

Should be merged with Melbourne into the Melbourne Saints.
Train at Moorabbin. VFL aligned team at Cranbourne. Casey Saints rolls off the tongue.

Then merge the Roos and Dogs into the West Melbourne Kangaroos.
Train at Arden St. VFL team at Whitten Oval.

Bring in Tassie team. 8 games in Hobart, 4 in Launceston with a guarantee of playing 2 of Essendon, Richmond, Carlton or Collingwood in Launceston each year for the first 5 years.

17 team comp.
Play every other team once, then half the comp a 2nd time = 24 games. Alternate the double up each year.

Season plays over 26 rounds so that teams get multiple byes.

Top 8 play finals.

No preseason cup/AFLX etc to account for longer season.
While we are at it let's merge Collingwood and carlton. The carlton magpies...has a great ring to it

Because there seems to be a general consensus that St Kilda fluked a spot in the national competition just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

They have contributed much less to the game than say Norwood, East Fremantle or even Southport, yet they are now one of the 18 most significant clubs in the game through a quirk of history.

In time they will be talked about with fondness in the same way we talk about Fitzroy and South Melbourne, for now let them enjoy it while it lasts.
You have about half the intelligence of your nick/avatar, which probably makes you one of the smarter people in Adelaide... Great insight, yeah St Kilda have contributed the same to the football landscape as Southport, tell us more oh brilliant one...

While we are at it let's merge Collingwood and carlton. The carlton magpies...has a great ring to it

Why would you merge 2 of the biggest clubs in the comp? Makes no sense.

In the cold light of day the Saints, Dogs and North aren't really needed. We are hangovers from a competition long since gone.

I'll love the Saints til the day I day, but speaking from as neutral a position as possible, it would make sense to merge some teams and tighten up the competition.

Because there seems to be a general consensus that St Kilda fluked a spot in the national competition just because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

They have contributed much less to the game than say Norwood, East Fremantle or even Southport, yet they are now one of the 18 most significant clubs in the game through a quirk of history.

In time they will be talked about with fondness in the same way we talk about Fitzroy and South Melbourne, for now let them enjoy it while it lasts.

No one made you support a fake club mate. No need to project on others that support real ones.

This explains a lot.

I may have been by a bit harsh on you in the past
Yep I am from South Australian. According to your Fellow Victorians, South Australians are considered inbred and subhuman. lol

There are crazy tales of People Born in Adelaide is a Punishment for commiting sins in previous life times lol

Yep I am from South Australian. According to your Fellow Victorians, South Australians are considered inbred and subhuman. lol
No that's Tasmanians, South Australians are just a bit bogan and about 20 years behind (plus that weird murder thing). ;)

Last edited:
No one made you support a fake club mate. No need to project on others that support real ones.
There are no "real" or "fake" clubs, just 18 franchises at the whim of the AFL

To be fair, no AFL team could claim to be a "real" club. They exist merely as a 2 or 3 teams playing in a commercial operation. They draft players from real clubs with no concern for junior development or even development of the game in general. They work on squad theory taking the cream from around the country, with all the hard work done by volunteers at real clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you merge 2 of the biggest clubs in the comp? Makes no sense.

In the cold light of day the Saints, Dogs and North aren't really needed. We are hangovers from a competition long since gone.

I'll love the Saints til the day I day, but speaking from as neutral a position as possible, it would make sense to merge some teams and tighten up the competition.

I think it should go the other way - add one more team to the comp and play a straight 18 round season.

I think it should go the other way - add one more team to the comp and play a straight 18 round season.

Yep I'm good with that too. Add in Tassie, 18 rounds (9 home and 9 away) and flip the fixture every 2nd year.

The difference between St. Kilda and Fitzroy/South Melb is that both at the time of their end were horribly in debt. South had been losing something like $150k for several years in a row. If St. Kilda can keep their books balanced they will continue to hide out of sight of the AFL grim reaper.
They are borderline, if they slip up once, well, the AFL will go marching in.
Dont forget they get Millions in handouts from the AFL if they didnt they would have to be wound up due to company laws!

Stkilda kangaroos
North Melbourne saints
stkilda bulldogs
Western saints - Footscray saints
Western kangaroos
North Melbourne bulldogs

I like all those names compared to the currents

How about the Richmond Suns? Would make sense since you've poached so many of the Suns players over the years.

Dont forget they get Millions in handouts from the AFL if they didnt they would have to be wound up due to company laws!

Didn't Geelong get millions in handouts from the AFL and the Vic government to redevelop their home ground? A ground that gives you a big financial advantage over most other clubs in the AFL that have to share their home grounds with other clubs.

How about the Richmond Suns? Would make sense since you've poached so many of the Suns players over the years.

2 directly, one that went to feeling first after being at Gold Coast. Hardly a poaching, we gave them an excellent wingman this year as well, they have more players directly from us than we do directly from them

Stkilda kangaroos
North Melbourne saints
stkilda bulldogs
Western saints - Footscray saints
Western kangaroos
North Melbourne bulldogs

I like all those names compared to the currents
Forgotten the Save Our Skins campaign? Honestly the way some wish ill upon struggling club's is beyond me.

Aka get ****ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back