Analysis Why have the Eagle never played well in wet games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 92-94 team was ROCK HARD! Bruising contested footy..
They were so hard they sprayed themselves with WD-40 before every wet game!
No latte-sipping, baby hugging metro-sexuals back then! ;)

Last edited:

Ditto. Silly thread IMO. Short memories.
Every team plays worse in the wet than in the dry, so of course it can "feel" like a team has never played well in the wet. In our case we've had a stack of good wins in the wet over our history.
During the Optus era I can agree that our level has suffered more than the league average when it has been wet/slippery.

How long have we been in the comp for? 35 years +

Never in our entire history has an Eagles side played well in wet conditions. Why not?

And until this issue is addressed we are nothing but a down hill skiing, fair weather football club.
How mad are you at this years results, from a scale of:

- not at all bothered'

to

- writing off 35 years of hugely successful history that at least 14 teams would have cut their right arm off to have experienced because we don't play well in the wet sometimes

How mad are you at this years results, from a scale of:

- not at all bothered'

to

- writing off 35 years of hugely successful history that at least 14 teams would have cut their right arm off to have experienced because we don't play well in the wet sometimes

So you are fine with us being a flat track, fair weather football team?

This has been an issue for a long time. If a club needs to rely on the weather to win thats a problem.

If you and others dont think its an issue good for you. Im jealous as it really pisses me off.

We wouldnt have won a single GF if it was wet, it is simply lucky for us it wasnt.

Remember the days when they used to turn the sprinklers on to get players used to the wet. Now with the use of recycled water or bores you can't do it. Soaking the balls in water and soap doesn't have the same effect.

Remember the days when they used to turn the sprinklers on to get players used to the wet. Now with the use of recycled water or bores you can't do it. Soaking the balls in water and soap doesn't have the same effect.

Back in my day you’d take a guy who didn’t want to win a hard ball out back and beat him with a rubber hose, now you’ve got your god damned unions.

92 we won a few great wet weather matches.

I went to the MCG one Friday night v NM and we smashed North by 44 points. Shouldve been more as we kicked like 14.26

We kicked 8 goals to 1 in the first qtr v Adelaide at the WACA in driving rain in 92 setting up a good win

But I have always thought we play better during the day and dry.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well a part of me wanted to come on here and read all the posts from last nights game highlighting how wrong my view is.

But we couldnt beat this years wooden spooners in the wet......at home.

Obviously not surprised.

Actually thought we tried pretty hard and didnt play too badly. But we lost to North........at home.

Not surprised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back