Why have the finals stunk so much the last few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Check the last quarter comebacks by Crows, Power and Hawks in 12,13,14. Spectacular games right down to the last seconds.

Last night was no different to those. Fizzer first half and great second.

Those were great. Doesn't mean the last 4 matches of this finals series haven't been good either?

The AFL have to look at a new Finals system unless they scrap the post season BYE!

I think scrapping the bye week would be the best thing.

The idea was to give finals teams a week off to refresh before the finals and address the problems of players being rested in the final round of the season, but it really hasn't worked that way and the result is a classic case of the law of unintended consequences - weird finals series containing many lopsided and poor standard games.

One thing I have noticed in the first round of the finals series since the bye came in is that teams look tired, stale and jaded, not fit and fresh.

Talent pool is too diluted and too many blokes playing that aren’t up to standard. When the heat gets turned up in a final these blokes get found out with their poor decision making and skills.

Zzzz

Talent pool diluted is such a classic throw away statement.

More people in NSW and QLD playing footy and bigger Aus population in general. Doesn’t make sense, I’m sure skills have changed or ‘evolved’ over time I.e. everyone’s an aerobic monster these days but yeah I don’t think it’s a talent pool issue.

Those were great. Doesn't mean the last 4 matches of this finals series haven't been good either?
Definitely good. I was at the game yest and was a great second half.

Some posters on here are saying the the game last night was one of the greatest prelims. If so then they either have short memories or easily impressed. There have been great finals games for decades.

There's been some great finals this year. Both prelims and the Bris vs GWS semi were all terrific games.

The shockingly incompetent umpiring has been the only negative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back