Why have the finals stunk so much the last few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
After a snooze fest that was the first round (Geelong losing by only 10 was fairly flattering), it hit me we haven't had a great finals series for a few years.

From 2016 to now, the average losing margin has been 38 points. Games with a margin under 20 points:

2016 = 2/9
2017 = 1/9
2018 = 3/9
2019 = 1/4

So almost 80% of games have a margin over 20 points.

For comparison's sake, from 2012 to 2015, only 55% of games had a margin over 20 points.

Now, this lines up perfectly with the introduction of the pre-finals bye but it's pretty hard to say that correlation = causation.

Well I can't see how the bye could possibly make finals LESS equal all things being equal.

I think it's just a natural fluctuation, really. At least the 16 and 18 grannies were close affairs. None of the 90s grannies were close.

Two topics about the same thing created by two Sydney supporters. Wonder if it's got anything to do with Sydney being a shadow of its former self...

Two topics about the same thing created by two Sydney supporters. Wonder if it's got anything to do with Sydney being a shadow of its former self...

Had a feeling I wouldn’t be the only one who noticed that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent pool is too diluted and too many blokes playing that aren’t up to standard. When the heat gets turned up in a final these blokes get found out with their poor decision making and skills.
If they're in every team they should cancel each other out.

Bulldogs, Essendon - middle of the road teams that came up against a couple of teams that were in top 4 contention through the year.
Brisbane - finals inexperience?
Geelong - patchy last half of the year

If they're in every team they should cancel each other out.

Bulldogs, Essendon - middle of the road teams that came up against a couple of teams that were in top 4 contention through the year.
Brisbane - finals inexperience?
Geelong - patchy last half of the year

Bulldogs are a good team but they lost matches against teams they shouldn’t have lost to, and had to peak in August to make finals. That means tapering and little volume in their training to make sure they were right for games. They were always going to struggle without the work. It was nothing like their 7th in 2016 when they were top 4 until the last few rds and they dropped a couple of matches due to injury.

You’ll generally find 7th and 8th are scrapping to make it and are playing their finals a month out so training is adjusted to account for this. Even Hawthorn would’ve been belted.

Then you have a team like Richmond with the best lead in to a finals any club could wish for. 7 straight games at home including five 7+ days turnarounds between matches to round out season. They’re tuned to perfection 👌

Probably not, because we're demonstrably not a shadow of our former self.

But I'm accustomed to Sydney haters being predictably unwilling to inform themselves about our great club.

Prejudice would never get anywhere without ignorance prodding it along at every step.

Do a Final 6 over 5 weeks,
ditch the pre-finals bye

Week 1
1v2
3v4
5v6

Week 2 onwards becomes the old Final 5
Bye: 1/2 winner
QF: 1/2 loser v 3/4 winner
EF: 3/4 loser v 5/6 winner

Limiting the finals to the top 6 may increase the standard, a few repeat match ups are possible in Weeks 3 and 4 but can switch home/away side for variance... 9 finals over 5 weeks

Con is that you need to be in the top third of the comp to play finals, which is good but low sides play dead rubbers early

The obvious answer is the Bye so I'll go with that. For a first round of a finals series, it sure has been a stinker. Viewer numbers would be interesting, plenty would have been switching off & with good reason. But I'm sure HQ will confirm everything is honky dory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back