Science/Environment Why have we heard so little about this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Came across this wonderfully made short documentary last night, and I wanted to share it.

Like a step inside an Australian version of Pripyat, crossed with the movie Gummo, and Twin Peaks.

I know the far West Coast of Tasmania is probably out of mind, out of sight etc, but I couldn’t believe what I was watching at times. Depressing, but sadly beautiful at the same time.

Why have the shocking (at least they were to me) environmental and socio-economic conditions in this town and region not received more media attention?

Can only imagine what sort of skeletons this town is hiding.

What can be done to support these people?

Last edited:
Resist capatalism at every point.

That's what you can do

Cheers for a worthy thread amongst all the junk.

There’s something like this on Queenstown every few years.

Copper mining is one of the worst extractive industries (because it’s usually bound up in sulphides), but you all like electricity right?

• Banned
The same capitalism that gave you the internet and bigfooty. Being a bit hypocritical posting on here.

To be honest, my concern is more, how on earth do we improve the life for the poor souls living in that ‘community’.

Seeing that young fella riding around on his Kmart flat pack bike he has ‘made a few modifications’ too.....the dudes filmed in there underwear whilst living in squalor....the unspoken knowledge that that the water these people drink and bathe in is likely toxic....what a wretched existence for anyone.

To be honest, my concern is more, how on earth do we improve the life for the poor souls living in that ‘community’.
We don't. The only practical solution to fixing the problem is for the people in dead towns to leave, but they don't. Partially because of the sunk cost in their house which they'll never be able to sell for a price which would seem acceptable to them but mostly because they're attached to the idea of their town and their past. Hence, half of Queenstown is waiting for the mine to re-open.

Came across this wonderfully made short documentary last night, and I wanted to share it.

Like a step inside an Australian version of Pripyat, crossed with the movie Gummo, and Twin Peaks.

I know the far West Coast of Tasmania is probably out of mind, out of sight etc, but I couldn’t believe what I was watching at times. Depressing, but sadly beautiful at the same time.

Why have the shocking (at least they were to me) environmental and socio-economic conditions in this town and region not received more media attention?

Interesting as an artistic piece but for me the filmaking style was overly exploitative of the locals for emotional effect whilst providing almost no facts.
Don't get me wrong I fully acknwledge the crapfight that Queenstown is, I have been there and have a career in a scientific field that involves resolving these sorts of situations, but I hate being manipulated.

Interesting as an artistic piece but for me the filmaking style was overly exploitative of the locals for emotional effect whilst providing almost no facts.
Don't get me wrong I fully acknwledge the crapfight that Queenstown is, I have been there and have a career in a scientific field that involves resolving these sorts of situations, but I hate being manipulated.

What a arrogant post. You're posting like you're in the media forum about a fictional movie, yet claim to be involved in a s ientific field helping these people, but don't offer anything about the real issue.

What a arrogant post. You're posting like you're in the media forum about a fictional movie, yet claim to be involved in a s ientific field helping these people, but don't offer anything about the real issue.

Ahahahahahahahahaha why dont you get more sooky about it, I was sharing an oppinion without any personal attacks.
Are you one of the hacks that cobbled that crap together?

Perhaps resist rapacious capitalism would be more accurate.

It seems like a runaway train at the moment with no brakes and noone daring to attempt to build any.
This is just another catastrophe in a long list of environmental * ups caused by people who have no understanding of the ecological implications of their actions. It's happened since time immemorial; often the reason we don't cause damage now is because we've learned not to do the wrong thing the hard way.

It has nothing to do with capitalism.

There’s something like this on Queenstown every few years.

Copper mining is one of the worst extractive industries (because it’s usually bound up in sulphides), but you all like electricity right?
And the lions don’t have an issue with copper!

wait until the production of lithium comes on to line! The smelting and refining process is far worse than copper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Produced by the guardian!
Enough said some leftist propaganda to fuel emotion of the NPC muppets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back