Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world#Islamic_states

This thread is presumably 99% Westerners living in Australia.

If you had to live in a Muslim majority nation (whether Islamic state, secular state or other), which one would you choose?

I reckon I'd probably pick Bosnia, or perhaps Egypt. Lebanon might be OK these days too. I don't think UAE counts if you are just there as an expat, and Bali doesn't count as Indonesia. I would've said Turkey but Erdogan is taking the country down the toilet, so **** that.

Morocco seemed nice, although I never went to the Sahrawi/Western Sahara bit. You could buy a beer there!

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Turkish politics and turkish people are 2 different things, lets just say that western turkey is really awesome. Most people are so liberal and so friendly and those all inclusive holiday packages i keep buying comes with free alcohol with is not very healthy for me :D

Eastern Turkey is a whole different story though.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Morocco seemed nice, although I never went to the Sahrawi/Western Sahara bit. You could buy a beer there!

Same in Bosnia. You can get a beer in UAE, but it's probably less hassle to buy drugs in most places.

I've got a friend from Malaysia who will drink pints but won't eat pork. Cherry picking is the highlight of any religion.

I had an Iranian lecturer, on a bus trip there were stubbies in the esky, he grabbed a beer, spotted a floating coke label and stuck it over his beer, saying "In case Allah is watching ". Like Christianity, there are plenty who pay lip service to it. I used to go nuts when people who didn't blink at a church all year refused to eat meat on good friday.

Bear in mind that in Malaysia , some people don't get a lot of choice.
If you are labelled Muslim, you can get arrested for holding hands on the beach.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Only-tourists-can-kiss,-but-not-passionately-5854.html

The Hindu's , Christians , Bhuddists , and atheists there enjoy a lot more freedom.

Had a friend who ended up with a girlfriend who had run off from her husband ( the one she never wanted to marry in the first place ), she was literally on the lam all the time. ( Years later she convinced him to divorce her ).

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Turkish politics and turkish people are 2 different things, lets just say that western turkey is really awesome. Most people are so liberal and so friendly and those all inclusive holiday packages i keep buying comes with free alcohol with is not very healthy for me :D

Eastern Turkey is a whole different story though.

Turks very friendly. Great food too. Went from Greek islands to Turkey via ferry, far preferred being in Turkey.

Hear what you are saying but I don't think of it as cherry picking, more the final taboo. I know a few muslims who love a drink, a line of coke and some women on the side, but won't go near pork. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Traditions take a while to die out. Eating pork was something they never did as kids.
Like non practising christians on Good Friday who still avoid meat..

Must spend a fortune. Beer was bloody expensive in KL.
I found spirits cheaper, as they often are in hotter climate countries where refrigeration/power costs would be higher.
Loved the food though.

I found spirits cheaper, as they often are in hotter climate countries where refrigeration/power costs would be higher.
Loved the food though.

Malaysia tax the beer.
If the Infidel's want to drink the stuff , then why shouldn't the government make money from it?
Bottleshop/supermarket prices we probably have it cheaper here, ( where our government also takes a handy dip ), but a bottle of beer at a Hawker centre , or most other cafe's etc will probably be similar to in a pub here, round 5 aussie bucks. Probably not so many pushing the AU$10 mark that some of the restaurants here do. It also depends if you're happy with Carlsburg, or Tiger, or whether you insist on your Corona etc.

It seems more expensive, because everything else is so cheap.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I think beer is expensive in Malaysia relative to other stuff in Malaysia rather than to the cost of beer anywhere else. From memory a beer at my hotel near the airport was less than AUD10 which is nothing out of the ordinary but an amazing feed of a few different dishes was a about 15. Here that would be more like 10 for the beer and 50 for the food.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Applying for a Passport in Pakistan, * me.

28468072_1697060207003819_113110414100256343_n.jpg

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world#Islamic_states

This thread is presumably 99% Westerners living in Australia.

If you had to live in a Muslim majority nation (whether Islamic state, secular state or other), which one would you choose?

I reckon I'd probably pick Bosnia, or perhaps Egypt. Lebanon might be OK these days too. I don't think UAE counts if you are just there as an expat, and Bali doesn't count as Indonesia. I would've said Turkey but Erdogan is taking the country down the toilet, so **** that.

Bali doesnt count because its a Hindu province. Why does being an expat dismiss UAE? Could you not say the same for Saudi?

Personally I would choose Bahrain. Nice place, good vibe.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Bali doesnt count because its a Hindu province. Why does being an expat dismiss UAE? Could you not say the same for Saudi?

Personally I would choose Bahrain. Nice place, good vibe.

UAE doesn't count in my book because the majority of the population aren't even locals. Generally if you live there as a Western expat you live in your own little bubble.

Who is to blame when its not raining? :)

All those gods are bastards.
Pray for rain they send it somewhere else where its already flooding .
Or they send so much that you need to build a big ship full of animals.
and always sending earthquakes to destroy their subjects.
Assho............

arghhhhh

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The man who supplied the gun used to shoot police accountant Curtis Cheng dead in 2015 has given an Islamic State salute after being sentenced to 44 years in prison. Raban Alou shouted "this is only the beginning" as he was led from the NSW Supreme Court in Paramatta.

The 20-year-old admitted obtaining and giving a handgun to 15-year-old Fahad Mohammad at the Parramatta Mosque.

Alou refused to stand for Justice Peter Johnson during the hearing. This is the first time in Australia someone has been sentenced for the offence of committing a terrorist act.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...years-for-role-in-curtis-cheng-murder/9496300

Have fun in prison dickhead.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no sympathy for the guy, but someone care to explain how providing a gun gets you 44 years and two women brutally murdering an autistic teen get 28?

My exact thoughts.

Deliberate premeditated murder with zero justification gets you 28 years.

A brainwashed 20 year old kid handing someone else a gun gets 44.

I expect an appeal.

Wont be upset if it doesnt get up though. * him. Only wish the two women that murdered the 18 year old also got lengthier sentences.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
UAE doesn't count in my book because the majority of the population aren't even locals. Generally if you live there as a Western expat you live in your own little bubble.

Get your point, it is a good one however most if not all westerners live in compounds in ME countries such as my aforementioned Saudi. However in Saudi most of the population is local so I'm tying myself in a knot here.

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
My exact thoughts.

Deliberate premedicated murder with zero justification gets you 28 years.

A brainwashed 20 year old kid handing someone else a gun gets 44.

I expect an appeal.

Wont be upset if it doesnt get up though. **** him. Only wish the two women that murdered the 18 year old also got lengthier sentences.

From what I have read the judge was was pretty pissed off with his demeanour and outbursts in court, would that play a part in sentencing?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Get your point, it is a good one however most if not all westerners live in compounds in ME countries such as my aforementioned Saudi. However in Saudi most of the population is local so I'm tying myself in a knot here.

Fair. I've never been to Saudi so I'm not sure what expat life is like. I wandered around Dubai for a few days and it just felt like a generic city that could be anywhere. Mall of the Emirates had fewer Arabs walking around than the big shopping centre in Broadmeadows and just felt like an airport terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back