Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Brisbane guy

Senior List
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And no Catholic state religion countries have legalised SSM. You failed to acknowledge this point but continue to push your vitriol. Go away Fagan.
Several Christian majority countries have legalised same sex marriage. If you can't recognise this progress as opposed to Islam's lack of, then you're probably just an anti-Christian bigot.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Several Christian majority countries have legalised same sex marriage. If you can't recognise this progress as opposed to Islam's lack of, then you're probably just an anti-Christian bigot.
Christian majority. Not Christian state. As I've pointed out several Muslim majority countries allow same sex relationships. It was only two years ago that we allowed SSM. That two years is enough to demonise those countries who actually allow SSM and homosexuality? You're quick to hang s**t on them but won't even recognise the amount of Christian majority countries that still have SS relationships as illegal.

Just stay banned Fagan, no one wants you here

That Brisbane guy

Senior List
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Christian majority. Not Christian state. As I've pointed out several Muslim majority countries allow same sex relationships. It was only two years ago that we allowed SSM. That two years is enough to demonise those countries who actually allow SSM and homosexuality? You're quick to hang s**t on them but won't even recognise the amount of Christian majority countries that still have SS relationships as illegal.

Just stay banned Fagan, no one wants you here
Why don't any Muslim majority countries allow same sex marriage like a number of Christian majority countries do? Well done to those Christian countries for being so progressive, it's a shame Muslim countries are still so far behind.

So apart from Uniting Church which Christian Church in Australia permits SSM?

Those who oppose - Catholic, Presby, Pentecostal, Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, Baptist.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
As has been pointed out to you several times, you're being disingenuous. SSM is only legalised in Christian majority countries because they aren't theocracies. It has nothing to do with the progressiveness of Christianity.

Name one that still preaches their death?
Publicly and behind closed doors.
There’s only a few that do state wide in Muslim countries..3-4, and actually go through it. A few others have small pockets/areas where it’s in law books but not used.

It was only in 1949 that Victoria removed death penalty for anal sex

That Brisbane guy

Senior List
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As has been pointed out to you several times, you're being disingenuous. SSM is only legalised in Christian majority countries because they aren't theocracies. It has nothing to do with the progressiveness of Christianity.
Not all Muslim countries are theocracies, so why isn't SSM legalised in any of those countries? As I've said, I'm not religious but credit where credit's due, Christian countries tend to be far more progressive than Muslim countries.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There’s only a few that do state wide in Muslim countries..3-4, and actually go through it. A few others have small pockets/areas where it’s in law books but not used.

It was only in 1949 that Victoria removed death penalty for anal sex

When was the last gay person executed for being gay in Victoria ?

When was the last person executed for having anal sex in Victoria ?

Christians aren't really pushing for theocracies. ( Vatican City a special case ).

Indonesia and Turkey don't have a great record.

This is an interesting interview which deals with the subject at times.

Someone who has really had to walk the line.
It suggests that there are movements to make things more progressive.

Incredible responses from a Politician, imagine asking Morrison or Trump questions of that nature.

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Not that I know of, same as the catholic church doesn't recognise them.

They don't allow SSM, but the point is catholic countries don't either. The Muslim world is getting there. Unfortunately people are just prejudice and hate Islam without any knowledge than the trash they read from right wing hate mail.

So both religious denominations that govern their own countries (well 18 islamic and errr Dominica) do allow same sex relationships but not SSM and the Muslim "world" is getting there? There are plenty of posters here who are discriminatory towards Muslims but your line of debate is absolute trash.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So both religious denominations that govern their own countries (well 18 islamic and errr Dominica) do allow same sex relationships but not SSM and the Muslim "world" is getting there? There are plenty of posters here who are discriminatory towards Muslims but your line of debate is absolute trash.

Watch out, youre going to get hit with evidence from the 1400s.

While they completely ignore the last 50 years.

Feminism and Islam simply cannot coexist. Unless you have a very thick black cloth firmly pulled over your head.

By choice.

Not because you will be beaten with sticks for daring to show any part of your body in public.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Watch out, youre going to get hit with evidence from the 1400s.

While they completely ignore the last 50 years.

Feminism and Islam simply cannot coexist. Unless you have a very thick black cloth firmly pulled over your head.

By choice.

Not because you will be beaten with sticks for daring to show any part of your body in public.
Head coverings for women are biblical and mandated by Paul in the New Testament. (1Corinthians 11:5)

I've found fundamentalist Christians to be equally sexist as their Islamic counterparts.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
So Zambia is officially a Christian country according to its constitution. Homosexual activity is outlawed. Human rights are trampled over in all sorts of ways.

Now if you ask me would I rather live in Ireland (majority Catholic) or Saudi Arabia, well the answer's obvious isn't. I can still get a beer in Ireland, they gave the world Thin Lizzy and Stiff Little Fingers, Irish people are pretty nice and I have a thing for redheads. But because it is less bad than a Islamic theocracy is something of a moot point. There's been some appalling human rites abuses and you could still go to gaol for blasphemy until early this year. There's been civil war and terrorism for years, a large amount of it driven by religious differences. Luckily, humanist interests are bringing Ireland along for the progressive ride and the country will be better off for it.

The question should be would you rather live in a theocracy or a pluralist, secular nation like Australia? The answer is pretty bloody clear to me. I've harped on this point many a time. If you have a go at Islam, fine. But if you are of a religious bent, you have to expect the same criticism to be levelled at your belief. Atrocities have been committed in the name of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism - geez, even the hippies' favourites the Buddhists aren't immune.

Which leaves me personally at this conclusion. Is if fair to label all people that follow a religion by it's worst elements? Because if you want to follow that logic with Islam, it logically follows the same should be applied to all religions.

Which leaves me personally at this conclusion. Is if fair to label all people that follow a religion by it's worst elements? Because if you want to follow that logic with Islam, it logically follows the same should be applied to all religions.
Especially when those religions have been built and developed along those same lines.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Zambia is officially a Christian country according to its constitution. Homosexual activity is outlawed. Human rights are trampled over in all sorts of ways.

Now if you ask me would I rather live in Ireland (majority Catholic) or Saudi Arabia, well the answer's obvious isn't. I can still get a beer in Ireland, they gave the world Thin Lizzy and Stiff Little Fingers, Irish people are pretty nice and I have a thing for redheads. But because it is less bad than a Islamic theocracy is something of a moot point. There's been some appalling human rites abuses and you could still go to gaol for blasphemy until early this year. There's been civil war and terrorism for years, a large amount of it driven by religious differences. Luckily, humanist interests are bringing Ireland along for the progressive ride and the country will be better off for it.

The question should be would you rather live in a theocracy or a pluralist, secular nation like Australia? The answer is pretty bloody clear to me. I've harped on this point many a time. If you have a go at Islam, fine. But if you are of a religious bent, you have to expect the same criticism to be levelled at your belief. Atrocities have been committed in the name of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism - geez, even the hippies' favourites the Buddhists aren't immune.

We have a country at last. 17 million people. Islam its a couple of billion people.

Probably doesnt mean much to the gay people in Zambia I guess.

And its definitely unfair to label all people of a religion by the worst elements. Problem is, while in Christianity and Judaism its rare, in Islam the views are rampant.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
We have a country at last. 17 million people. Islam its a couple of billion people.

Probably doesnt mean much to the gay people in Zambia I guess.

And its definitely unfair to label all people of a religion by the worst elements. Problem is, while in Christianity and Judaism its rare, in Islam the views are rampant.

There are other nominally Christian countries (eg mentioned in their constitution) in which women's rights are seriously compromised particularly in the South Pacific but in general, yes Islamic states are worse. Maybe that's why so many people try to escape them.

I don't know if it's totally fair to say extremist views are rare in Christianity/Judaism (there is definitely an element there) but I do accept that extremist views do exist in large numbers in Islamic communities. But those same views once were much more prevalent in Christian/Jewish communities and not that long ago either. Ireland is a good example of a country that was rooted in extremist Christian views (ironically aimed at each other). So why did those attitudes change?

The scientific revolution and the concepts of progression that came with it had a massive part and that came about in the Western world first. It took a while for the ideas to take hold but it has been a slow and gradual acceptance that religion might not have all of the answers. Maybe that's where I sit with Islam - the more education that Muslims are exposed to, hopefully the more that question the religious dogma.

Those trends (while starting at a much lower level) are heading in the same direction as the Western world. So again, maybe by embracing moderates we can do something about the extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back