Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It's cool for old people to whinge about young people, but education standards in this country are hardly parlous. Maybe a few more people are falling through the gaps as we get bigger as a nation, but our exceptional students continue to excel, often above and beyond their predecessors. And the vast majority still graduate to the same standard as previous generations.

My daughter finished and passed Yr 12 last year with enough to graduate into Psychology at a very good Uni, with spelling and numeracy that shocked me.
It's a bloody joke.

But she probably wrote a good essay ( excusing spelling mistakes ) Comparing "Game of THrones " to "Toy Story 2".

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's cool for old people to whinge about young people, but education standards in this country are hardly parlous. Maybe a few more people are falling through the gaps as we get bigger as a nation, but our exceptional students continue to excel, often above and beyond their predecessors. And the vast majority still graduate to the same standard as previous generations.
Lol.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Rubbish.
Between my old man and I we've been employing high school graduates for many decades.
Today's kids can't add up/multiply/divide/subtract without a calculator and struggle to read and comprehend the most basic of instructions.
They're very switched on about their 'rights' and 'privileges' though.

I'll take the experience of five teachers in my family over your 'vibes'.

They will tell you they are all doing a bang up job, and should be getting paid more , despite the ridiculous amount of free time they have. I know i know,...they spend months of the year marking papers.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
More informed than yours.

They are not afraid to point out shitty kids or parents, but the idea that the next generation is dumber than yours is as old as time and not borne out in reality.

No-one said DUMBER, what we are saying is poorly educated in the basics of numeracy and literacy.
I challenge you to attend one of your five family members schools and ask five 15 yr old students the 9 times table.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
More informed than yours.

They are not afraid to point out shitty kids or parents, but the idea that the next generation is dumber than yours is as old as time and not borne out in reality.
The next generation isn’t necessarily dumber, just deficient in key skills after enormous investment in them through education.

If you spend 13 years in education and can’t spell basic words something has gone wrong. Parents (and taxpayers) aren’t getting bang for their buck.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The next generation isn’t necessarily dumber, just deficient in key skills after enormous investment in them through education.

If you spend 13 years in education and can’t spell basic words something has gone wrong. Parents (and taxpayers) aren’t getting bang for their buck.

How is teaching kids gender equality and tolerance getting in the way of math and spelling?

Any reason we cant do both?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
No-one said DUMBER, what we are saying is poorly educated in the basics of numeracy and literacy.
I challenge you to attend one of your five family members schools and ask five 15 yr old students the 9 times table.
My six-year-old does his 9 times tables. My brother's 15-year-old is in the advanced mathematics class (he's a maths teacher and some of his kids would confuse the s**t out of you with what they know). Your anecdotes do not equal evidence. Yes, there are people that don't have university level maths or English, and at the risk of insulting your profession, would be more attracted to working on a farm. That doesn't equate to a whole generation being poorly educated.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, time and resources.

Wut?

You're talking literally about a single unit (among dozens like language, PE, maths, science, art, technical skills like woodworking etc, home economics, geography, english, religion etc) that would take up all of a single 1 hour lesson per week for no more than a few semesters.

Safe Schools (for example) only ran coursework in years 7 and 8, and was literally one 45 minute lesson per week. Resource wise it got a fraction of the resources of the other faculties.

What do you think High schools do? Run gender diversity and 'how to be a decent person and not be a nasty piece of s**t' courses for hours of each day over all of High School?

Is there a reason why we cant pump more funding into Maths and English, while also teaching our kids to be decent human beings?

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Your anecdotes do not equal evidence.

But yours obviously do.:drunk::drunk::drunk:
I'm a father of a 28, 21 and 18 yr old and have seen their individual skill levels over the years plummet dramatically. Plus have been employing, or been in the employment of, many, many youngsters over decades and can also see, quite clearly, the skill in basic math and literacy declining rapidly.
But hey, what would i know?
Thanks for the farm analogy that paints us all us uneducated hicks.
Very few of us under 40 have much less than a Bachelor degree. Most from 40-55 have at least a Diploma level.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, but I feel like that's a seperate issue. Lets increase the funding for Maths and English, and fix the cirriculum.

I can live with that.
The current curriculum needs standardising across the nation first, because so many families move interstate, and a bigger focus on basic life skills. There is plenty of room for the rest.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I can live with that.
The current curriculum needs standardising across the nation first, because so many families move interstate, and a bigger focus on basic life skills. There is plenty of room for the rest.

Your issue then is with the Federal system.

It creates supid things like HSC/ VCE, different cirriculums, high school starting varying from year 7 to year 8 and so forth.

So many areas of law would be so much better off under Federal jurisdiction and not State jurisdiction.

Education and Health are the two main ones that spring to mind. Firearms and Criminal law also.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wut?

You're talking literally about a single unit (among dozens like language, PE, maths, science, art, technical skills like woodworking etc, home economics, geography, english, religion etc) that would take up all of a single 1 hour lesson per week for no more than a few semesters.

Safe Schools (for example) only ran coursework in years 7 and 8, and was literally one 45 minute lesson per week. Resource wise it got a fraction of the resources of the other faculties.

What do you think High schools do? Run gender diversity and 'how to be a decent person and not be a nasty piece of s**t' courses for hours of each day over all of High School?

Is there a reason why we cant pump more funding into Maths and English, while also teaching our kids to be decent human beings?
Time and resources.

The whole "why can't we do both" applies to many things. There's an expectation that schools teach kids about consent, how to be a good person, gender and sexual diversity, indigenous history, indigenous language, say no to drugs, personal health and hygiene etc. All these in the name of "teaching our kids to be decent human beings".

At some point you're no longer doing both.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Time and resources.

The whole "why can't we do both" applies to many things. There's an expectation that schools teach kids about consent, how to be a good person, gender and sexual diversity, indigenous history, indigenous language, say no to drugs, personal health and hygiene etc. All these in the name of "teaching our kids to be decent human beings".

At some point you're no longer doing both.

And how much time in the curriculum is dedicated to doing that?

Find me a State in Oz that devotes more than say 1 hour a week towards those issues over a 6 year High school degree.

Bearing in mind English and Math are several hours a week over those 6 years.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
And how much time in the curriculum is dedicated to doing that?

Find me a State in Oz that devotes more than say 1 hour a week towards those issues over a 6 year High school degree.

Bearing in mind English and Math are several hours a week over those 6 years.
We're not talking about high school, we're talking about primary school, where English and Math [sic] are falling behind in international comparisons.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
But yours obviously do.:drunk::drunk::drunk:
I'm a father of a 28, 21 and 18 yr old and have seen their individual skill levels over the years plummet dramatically. Plus have been employing, or been in the employment of, many, many youngsters over decades and can also see, quite clearly, the skill in basic math and literacy declining rapidly.
But hey, what would i know?
Thanks for the farm analogy that paints us all us uneducated hicks.
Very few of us under 40 have much less than a Bachelor degree. Most from 40-55 have at least a Diploma level.
Except I'm not the one in this thread making broad, sweeping generalisations about an entire generation.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Your issue then is with the Federal system.

It creates supid things like HSC/ VCE, different cirriculums, high school starting varying from year 7 to year 8 and so forth.

So many areas of law would be so much better off under Federal jurisdiction and not State jurisdiction.

Education and Health are the two main ones that spring to mind. Firearms and Criminal law also.

I'd happily take it further and abolish the State Gov't system altogether.
One huge layer of completely unnecessary bureaucracy gone in a swipe and give councils an actual purpose instead of being grant and allocation spenders with little accountability.
Anyway, that is highly unlikely to happen, ever, under our current system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back