Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Except I'm not the one in this thread making broad, sweeping generalisations about an entire generation.
You like building strawmen don't you.
I have never mentioned an entire generation(s), however I was talking about the majority.
Have you been down to one of those schools and questioned them on their times tables or asked them to write a legible few paragraphs yet?

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd happily take it further and abolish the State Gov't system altogether.

I largely agree with you.

The system does provide an extra set of checks and balances against Federal government tyranny, but at what cost.

If I could replace the Federal system with something similar but different (a different form of devolved independent State governments answering to a Federal Government, but otherwise unified legally) I would.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
My six-year-old does his 9 times tables. My brother's 15-year-old is in the advanced mathematics class (he's a maths teacher and some of his kids would confuse the s**t out of you with what they know). Your anecdotes do not equal evidence. Yes, there are people that don't have university level maths or English, and at the risk of insulting your profession, would be more attracted to working on a farm. That doesn't equate to a whole generation being poorly educated.

https://www.smh.com.au/education/au...ading-and-science-report-20180225-p4z1mx.html

"The proportion of Australian 15-year-olds who are reaching international baseline levels in maths, reading and science has fallen significantly over a decade, and federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham says parents need to start doing more to stem the country's declining performance."

Most of the elite performing kids are Asian imports, which makes the decline even worse than it looks.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...the-ethnic-imbalance-in-our-selective-schools

"Almost all selective high schools in Sydney are dominated by students from a language background other than English (LBOTE). According to the MySchool website, at James Ruse, 97% of students were from a LBOTE in 2015. Across Sydney, LBOTE students regularly make up 80 or 90% of enrolments in selective schools. Most of these students are children of migrants from various Asian countries, especially China, Korea, other east and south-east Asian countries, and increasingly, India and south Asia. "

We're a bit off-topic here though.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How is teaching kids gender equality and tolerance getting in the way of math and spelling?

Any reason we cant do both?

On what possible basis can you argue its the states duty to teach such things as "gender equality" and "tolerance"?

If I could replace the Federal system with something similar but different (a different form of devolved independent State governments answering to a Federal Government, but otherwise unified legally) I would.

Countries with a federal system tend to work better for a few reasons. More democratic (do you think anyone would pay any attention to Tasmania whatsoever if there were no states, tax competition and cost competition)

The UK is a good example of this. ie it makes no sense to pay public sector employees the same across the country. You either massively overpay up north and cripple private enterprise or pay so little in London that they cant survive.

NB not sure this has much to do with the topic at hand.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont want my kids being taught a program designed by a marxist that implies homosexuality is no different to hetrosexuality. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. In fact this whole celebration of alternate sexual orientation has gone too far the other way.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont want my kids being taught a program designed by a marxist that implies homosexuality is no different to hetrosexuality. Stupidest thing I ever heard of. In fact this whole celebration of alternate sexual orientation has gone too far the other way.
If you don’t like homosexuality, then that rules out biology and history for you too (hint: the Romans and Greeks celebrated it a fair bit). Your lack of engagement with education may explain some of your posts though.

If you don’t like homosexuality, then that rules out biology and history for you too (hint: the Romans and Greeks celebrated it a fair bit). Your lack of engagement with education may explain some of your posts though.
Ironic username to post content too.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn't say I dont like homosexuals I said I didn't like the social engineering surrounding it. Especially in our schools. Kids have enough to contemplate without being screwed up by adults pushing agendas from the fringes of society. Do keep up.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Meh, my anecdotal experience has been that nothing's gotten worse in terms of basic education. My tradie uncles in their 60s completed secondary school and can't spell for s**t. Hating on the younger generation is not a new phenomenon.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Socrates, circa 400BC.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.smh.com.au/education/au...ading-and-science-report-20180225-p4z1mx.html

"The proportion of Australian 15-year-olds who are reaching international baseline levels in maths, reading and science has fallen significantly over a decade, and federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham says parents need to start doing more to stem the country's declining performance."

Most of the elite performing kids are Asian imports, which makes the decline even worse than it looks.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...the-ethnic-imbalance-in-our-selective-schools

"Almost all selective high schools in Sydney are dominated by students from a language background other than English (LBOTE). According to the MySchool website, at James Ruse, 97% of students were from a LBOTE in 2015. Across Sydney, LBOTE students regularly make up 80 or 90% of enrolments in selective schools. Most of these students are children of migrants from various Asian countries, especially China, Korea, other east and south-east Asian countries, and increasingly, India and south Asia. "

We're a bit off-topic here though.
Context was Muslim parents taking their kids out of school due to Safe Schools like programs. Interesting you mention high achieving Chinese students - it is that cohort’s parents that are most resistant to this kind of fluffy indoctrination in Australia.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They are not afraid to point out shitty kids or parents, but the idea that the next generation is dumber than yours is as old as time and not borne out in reality.

Not dumber but certainly in general received a worse education.

I'll take the experience of five teachers in my family over your 'vibes'.

And there you have it.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Today's kids are learning different skills for different career paths. Maybe they spend less time on long division, grammar, and navigation, when technology mostly solves these problems for them.

We'd love for them to be experts in all the old school skills, but we also expect them to be competent with modern day skills. At what point do we say "* long division and reading a melways" and focus instead on "learning to code" or "how to build and maintain self-service checkouts" or "Terminator 2: how to prepare for the inevitable cyborg apocalypse"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Teachers saying teachers are doing a good job. Who would have thought.

And no, that hardly makes you informed.
Teachers saying they have a smart group of Year 12s, for example, isn’t patting themselves on the back given they didn’t teach them at all in the first 11 years. But sure, everyone but you has an agenda :drunk:

I know teachers that work good state schools, shitty state schools and catholic schools and the s**t, dumb kids are still the exception, not the rule. As pointed out above, maybe if you weren’t applying outdated standards, you might recognise that. Or are you and I idiots because we don’t know how to code?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Context was Muslim parents taking their kids out of school due to Safe Schools like programs. Interesting you mention high achieving Chinese students - it is that cohort’s parents that are most resistant to this kind of fluffy indoctrination in Australia.
This is something I’ve wondered about given it happens with Desis a lot, too. I really think it’s related to the fact the Chinese and Desi parents recognise how s**t their countries are so if their kids don’t succeed then they’re gonna end up in poverty. They’re also in a position to see what wealth can bring so it’s that perfect combination of the two.

Do you have any information on the academic achievements of the special "Muslim Schools"?

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
East Asian countries tend to feature better respect for authority than most Western countries. And they don't encourage outspokenness.

I'm currently teaching in one of these countries and it's somewhat amusing to see many on here ride the high horse on kids not respecting authority.

It's not cool to openly hang poop on cops, teachers, parking inspectors, employers, judiciary members over there as an adult like it is in the Western world.

And yes kids are much more willing to learn and are easier to teach over here.

Last edited:

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
East Asian countries tend to feature better respect for authority than most Western countries. And they don't encourage outspokenness.

I'm currently teaching in one of these countries and it's somewhat amusing to see many on here ride the high horse on kids not respecting authority.

It's not cool to openly hang poop on cops, teachers, parking inspectors, employers, judiciary members over there as an adult like it is in the Western world.

And yes kids are much more willing to learn and are easier to teach over here.

I think that's generally true that there's much greater respect for authority, but if you find yourself teaching the children of the "authorities", they're often pretty much the worst students (and people) possible.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
An educated, researched response.

Where else in all the Muslim arguments have you seen anyone like this espousing that the so called peaceful Muslim majority are IRRELEVANT. That the German peaceful majority were IRRELEVANT, that the Russian, Chinese, and Japanese Peaceful Majority were IRRELEVANT.

I capitalise only to highlight the very nuance I think many miss. The inference is; those that argue about peaceful majorities of any cause/faith/movement are completely missing the point and history proves it. The peaceful majority are IRRELEVANT, if there is a fundamental non peaceful unchallenged group within. It is a fundamental shock to the core when realised and most have never really heard it argued, The peaceful majority are Irrelevant unless they vociferously stand and fight against their own non peaceful minority and therefore self evidently those of the peaceful majority who remain silent. Nowhere else is that being disseminated as well as here.

Just think on that concept for a moment, which is perhaps misaligned with everything you may have thought. That a peaceful majority will win out, is a lie, proven historically, unless that peaceful majority turns on and faces the non peaceful minority and tears it down itself, the majority still lose.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Where else in all the Muslim arguments have you seen anyone like this espousing that the so called peaceful Muslim majority are IRRELEVANT. That the German peaceful majority were IRRELEVANT, that the Russian, Chinese, and Japanese Peaceful Majority were IRRELEVANT.

I capitalise only to highlight the very nuance I think many miss. The inference is; those that argue about peaceful majorities of any cause/faith/movement are completely missing the point and history proves it. The peaceful majority are IRRELEVANT, if there is a fundamental non peaceful unchallenged group within. It is a fundamental shock to the core when realised and most have never really heard it argued, The peaceful majority are Irrelevant unless they vociferously stand and fight against their own non peaceful minority and therefore self evidently those of the peaceful majority who remain silent. Nowhere else is that being disseminated as well as here.

Just think on that concept for a moment, which is perhaps misaligned with everything you may have thought. That a peaceful majority will win out, is a lie, proven historically, unless that peaceful majority turns on and faces the non peaceful minority and tears it down itself, the majority still lose.

Men are statistically far more likely than women to perform rapes, mass killings, domestic violence and murder.

Are the peaceful majority (those of us Men that don't go around mass killing, raping etc) equally at fault for the actions of the mass killers, rapists etc? Would that be a fair point to make?

Like; re-watch that video. Imagine it was a 'Leftist' panel of feminists etc harping on about DV, rape, Me-too, and hanging s**t on men.

Now imagine a (nice) bloke stood up and said 'But I'm not one of those DV rapists, Im a nice guy. Not all men are like that.'

And imagine your outrage when that bloke got shot down and lumped in with all the mass killers, rapists and DV *-heads of the world. Simply on account of being a man, he's no different to the rapists and mass killers.

You cant say the majority of blokes who are NOT rapists, sexists, misogynists, mass killers etc are equally at fault for the minority that are can you?

I mean; I suppose you can. But that puts you in the same camp as Clementine Ford and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back