Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try and understand

No, I'm asking you what being 'Western' means. I want you to list the traits of this 'Western culture' for me.

You're the one saying it exists, and it has traits. I would like you to tell me (in your words) what they are.

Can I have dark brown skin and be 'Western'?
Can I be an atheist and be 'Western'?
Can I be of the Jewish faith and be 'Western'?
Can I be of the Islamic faith and be 'Western'?

Rattle off some traits for me please.

No, I'm asking you what being 'Western' means. I want you to list the traits of this 'Western culture' for me.

You're the one saying it exists, and it has traits. I would like you to tell me (in your words) what they are.

You like giving orders to people

I filled you in on what people mean when they say the west or western culture.

This lesson was for free

I filled you in on what people mean when they say the west or western culture.

I'm asking you what your definition of Western culture' is. Specifically traits of this culture. In your own words.

The fact you cant do it, is telling.

I'll go with this definition:

Western culture, sometimes equated with Western civilization, Western lifestyle or European civilization, is a term used very broadly to refer to a heritage of social norms, ethical values, traditional customs, belief systems, political systems, and specific artifacts and technologies that have some origin or association with Europe.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/western_culture.htm

From that article:

Tendencies that have come to define modern Western societies include the existence of political pluralism, prominent subcultures or countercultures (such as New Age movements), and increasing cultural syncretism -- resulting from globalization and human migration.

Western Culture:

• High trust / low corruption societies
  • Has the concept of free will (effectively non existent in other cultures)
  • Strong belief in democracy and individual freedom (derives from both of the above)
  • Highly technologically advanced
Probably can't be Islamic faith and Western. Islam for instance lacks the full concept of free will - all will is subordinate to Allah's will and predestined.

Western Culture:

• High trust / low corruption societies
  • Has the concept of free will (effectively non existent in other cultures)
  • Strong belief in democracy and individual freedom (derives from both of the above)
  • Highly technologically advanced
Let us know when we come close to achieving these aspirations.

How is that relevant to why Australia has higher civic engagement levels relative to China? Why do we?
Possibly buried deep in our history:

And back in 2003, a piece in the American Conservative magazine warned that democracy would not flourish in Iraq because of its high rate of cousin marriage. However, at the time there was certainly a sort of a priori idea that democracy must be replicable anywhere, because to say otherwise would be racist. David Cameron made that exact argument around the time of the Arab spring. A rather wiser minister, the United Arab Emirates ambassador Oma Saif Ghobash, explained in a 2014 lecture that Arab democracy was vulnerable, not just because of Islamism, but ‘also because of the lack of institutions that can rise above partisan politics’. He said:​
‘Given the social, cultural and educational realities of our part of the world, many of us recognise that an introduction of electoral democracy that precedes the development of effective, impartial institutions may exacerbate tribal and sectarian divisions’​
One of the reasons that Islamism emerges so quickly in clannish countries is that it is the only force that can overcome deep-seated tribal divisions. One of the attractions of religious movements in politics is that Islam is seen – with good reason – as being a force for reducing corruption and raising public morals. Hardliners such as Hamas or the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt appeal to people sickened by corruption and clan-based nepotism, so that given a choice of a crook or a fascist they will opt for the latter. The Brotherhood’s economic platform upon taking power in Egypt was simply ‘more virtue’, which unfortunately didn’t produce quite the economic miracle they might have hoped for. This is why the idea of trying to spread democracy everywhere is not a wise one; it’s why I despair when I hear western politicians talk about installing democracy in Syria (cousin marriage rate: 35 per cent).​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back