Society/Culture Why I blame Islam for the fact it's raining today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Presumably they're not real Muslims, right?

This decision has absolutely nothing to do with their belief system, right?

Who has ever said the Taliban are NOT Muslims, or are NOT advancing a strict fundamentalist interpretation of their religion (syncretized with Pashtun honor codes/ social norms).

Literally no-one.

Lets not jump at shadows here. They're adherents to a fundamentalist interpretation of Islam. No-one is suggesting otherwise.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On the hadith, there's one where Muhammad endorses the medicinal qualities of camel urine. I'll definitely pass on testing that one out and reserve the right to make a mockery of it as advice (while of course recognizing the right of all Muslims to choose to regard it as inauthentic).

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Who has ever said the Taliban are NOT Muslims, or are NOT advancing a strict fundamentalist interpretation of their religion (syncretized with Pashtun honor codes/ social norms).

Literally no-one.

Lets not jump at shadows here. They're adherents to a fundamentalist interpretation of Islam. No-one is suggesting otherwise.
I think you should read back over the arguments made here before accusing me of misrepresenting folks. Surely you've seen enough to know this.

I think you should read back over the arguments made here before accusing me of misrepresenting folks. Surely you've seen enough to know this.

"presumably" means you are presuming what someone is saying.
If that presumption is wrong then you are misrepresenting.

Unless there is some other meaning of the word presumably that didn't make the cut for the dictionary.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
"presumably" means you are presuming what someone is saying.
If that presumption is wrong then you are misrepresenting.

Unless there is some other meaning of the word presumably that didn't make the cut for the dictionary.
Look at your desperation.

This kind of post is explicable only by the fact you feel like you've been dominated and now need to make a show of trying to claw back some of the ground you lost.

Try not to advertise it. It only makes it worse.

Last edited:
Look at your desperation.

This kind of post is explicable only by the fact you feel like you've been dominated and now need to make a show of trying to claw back some of the ground you lost.

Try not to advertise it. It only makes it worse.

There's another explanation.
You are like dogshit.
Everybody knows to avoid, but it's everywhere and sometimes you get caught off guard and bam, there you are trying to scrape dogshit off your shoe.
Dogshit is smart like that.
So in a way, you are smart as dogshit.

It's not your fault. We should just remember to be more vigilant.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
There's another explanation.
You are like dogshit.
Everybody knows to avoid, but it's everywhere and sometimes you get caught off guard and bam, there you are trying to scrape dogshit off your shoe.
Dogshit is smart like that.
So in a way, you are smart as dogshit.

It's not your fault. We should just remember to be more vigilant.
Everyone can see you're sore from your previous hidings. You're not concealing it well.

If I'm as smart as dogshit, I guess that makes you dumber than dogshit?

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
On the hadith, there's one where Muhammad endorses the medicinal qualities of camel urine. I'll definitely pass on testing that one out and reserve the right to make a mockery of it as advice (while of course recognizing the right of all Muslims to choose to regard it as inauthentic).

It may be just as likely to cure Covid as ivermectin

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sweet Jesus you're clearly an adherent for logic. That's a really good thing.

Do you feel you have a stronger drive for moral right, or logical right?

You know there are ridiculous arguments in support of religion. And you have called them out really well. And you've called out people for overstepping the defense of Islamic religion.

Don't you think it's a reasonable approach, in general, when it seems that the other 'side' is to take everything to the extremes, and cast it across (not all) all Muslims?

As in, yes, in pure logical terms, certain things shouldn't be defended.
But in the recent and current situation, diffusion vs fuelling has both 'sides' making illogical statements. But in the wider narrative it makes sense, because the aim is to reduce harm.

For example, pointing out that racism exists in Australia is a waste of time, because logically it does and always will exist.
But, in reality, if racism and other bigotry isn't addressed and called out, it cannot be challenged, and cannot be changed.

Looks like Islam is catching up with the times. They will be live streaming their public amputations and other atrocities soon.
This is an example that I wish you'd interact with, in the same way you interact with the good faith posters. That's my emotional position.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
You know there are ridiculous arguments in support of religion. And you have called them out really well. And you've called out people for overstepping the defense of Islamic religion.

Don't you think it's a reasonable approach, in general, when it seems that the other 'side' is to take everything to the extremes, and cast it across (not all) all Muslims?

As in, yes, in pure logical terms, certain things shouldn't be defended.
But in the recent and current situation, diffusion vs fuelling has both 'sides' making illogical statements. But in the wider narrative it makes sense, because the aim is to reduce harm.
I don't criticise all Muslims. I criticise certain aspects of religious belief. I criticise bad ideas. And no, I don't think it's a "reasonable approach" to defend them if those beliefs are incompatible with my values. I'd say that's the opposite of "reasonable". I'm not going to start nonsensically defending aspects of religious belief that I find grotesque just because some other people are mean to Muslims across the board. I still find aspects of those beliefs grotesque, but that's married to the belief that these Muslims nonetheless have fundamental rights and in a liberal society are entitled to certain protections. That's what makes liberal values worth defending, whether that's from racists, woke idiots or religious zealots.

But what do you mean by "in pure logical terms certain things shouldn't be defended"? Surely you don't need to go deep into some vaccuum of "pure logic" to identify certain conduct as indefensible. Forget about "pure logic", I reckon throwing gay people off buildings shouldn't be defended on any terms. I don't need "pure logical terms" to conclude that.

For example, pointing out that racism exists in Australia is a waste of time, because logically it does and always will exist.
But, in reality, if racism and other bigotry isn't addressed and called out, it cannot be challenged, and cannot be changed.
Who says we shouldn't address racism?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Before we move forward. Please read my post again, without hostilities.

Reference.
Huh?

Am I responsible for that other poster's remarks?

Should I refrain from criticising certain beliefs because of an argument someone else might make?

How do you expect to criticise bad ideas if that's the standard?

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Huh?

Am I responsible for that other poster's remarks?

Should I refrain from criticising certain beliefs because of an argument someone else might make?

How do you expect to criticise bad ideas if that's the standard?
Not at all. I'm sorry.

I'm just asking you, if you understand why some people might take an extended/extreme position... in order to combat positions seen on these recent pages.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't care why. I care if those positions make sense on their merits. They don't.

Bullshit is still bullshit even if it makes some people feel better.
Looks like Islam is catching up with the times. They will be live streaming their public amputations and other atrocities soon.
Sweet Jesus
If your position is that you're calling out all the bullshit.
That means that what you don't call out, isn't bullshit.

If you're only calling out certain bullshit, and not calling out other bullshit. It gives a certain implication. Factual or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back