Why is AFL commentary so cheesy?

Remove this Banner Ad

You know, all the puns and the other wackiness that exists in AFL commentary and seemingly nowhere else. It's not an Australian problem because you don't see the same kind of thing in the NRL or in A-League. Whenever I watch a bit of NRL they usually sound like they take the game seriously.

800px-Seven_Network_logo.svg.png

I agree with everything that's been said in this thread. It's depressing that it seems to be getting worse. Jason Bennett is an excellent caller and the only one bucking the trend (Bartel and Daisy do well in special comments). I can't fathom how it's gotten so bad. I'd like to think the AFL would use the TV rights negotiations to ensure quality commentators are used by the successful bidders but they clearly don't care. Or maybe there is no quality out there? I don't mind some of the ABC radio callers but they're possibly too bland for tv?

What's wrong with Adam Papalia and Brenton Speed? They're terrific. Papalia's call of the Fremantle-Brisbane thriller last Sunday was brilliant.

It is baffling how the industry rates Dwayne and have no clue how much the public can't stand him. Even Connolly & Fine on Footyology were praising him last year.
They're all in a bubble and boys club. Just pat each other on the back.

AFL media is mostly full of former players, and those that aren't, are sycophants towards the players.

Edit - See Tom Browne vs Jack Reiwoldt. Turns into a sycophant when questioned.

Last edited:

I think a lot of people would be surprised by the amount of supporters who actually enjoy the commentators.
Roaming Brian to some people is akin to watching Dave Chappelle in his prime.

Boggles the mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back