Health Why is going against doctors orders glorified as an achievement?

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Found a newspaper on the train this morning and it stated that a celebrity 'defied doctors orders' to go to an outing with the family after surgery

i see this a lot in the media and don't get me wrong i think it is amazing to see an individual walk after the doctors told them they couldn't but surely common sense has to be involved

a doctor doesn't prescribe these statements as a voluntary statement, they have done years of research on the body and how it works etc, they would know best.

would love to know what others thoughts on this are:)

I don't think it's always glorified. In the case you mention it was probably admired because it was seen as selfless - putting his family ahead of himself. Doctor's recommendations do often tend to be quite conservative in order for them to protect themselves professionally. Going against them doesn't always involve significant risk.

In other situations, 'going against doctor's orders' is viewed disapprovingly. If someone was to check themselves out of hospital the day after major surgery for example, it would be viewed as quite reckless.

I don't think it's always glorified. In the case you mention it was probably admired because it was seen as selfless - putting his family ahead of himself. Doctor's recommendations do often tend to be quite conservative in order for them to protect themselves professionally. Going against them doesn't always involve significant risk.

In other situations, 'going against doctor's orders' is viewed disapprovingly. If someone was to check themselves out of hospital the day after major surgery for example, it would be viewed as quite reckless.

Really well put.

People ignore medical advice all the time. It's the nature of the advice being ignored and the extent of that choice to ignore it which may or may not be smart. Either way, I'd strongly doubt the frequency of it as a practice is glorified. For 99% of people it just is what it is.

on some things I think it goes with the 'showing you are hardened up' kind of thing. like playing sports again when you should be resting for another month.

I would say doctors tend to err on the side of caution, however if someone doesn't follow orders and ends up sicker or deader than they were prior... What is cautious?

Going against doctors orders is a masculine trait.

It shows strength to the competition (other males) and strength to potential mates (females)

to me (female) it just shows stupidity...

Going against doctors orders is a masculine trait.

It shows strength to the competition (other males) and strength to potential mates (females)

What where these so called men doing even going to the doctors. In the first place.?? :)

Now i'll be serious I think it's something taught by dad's to boys. When they fall down went there young boys. They are told get up your not hurt. Quit ya sookin. Girl falls dad runs over an picks her tells it's ok. Gives her a hug.
This was instilled in them when they where boys.
Things have improved a lot really in a very short time. In my grandfathers time. You didn't go to the quacks. Saw cut his hand open once, he acted like it was nothing. Til his wife an daughters saw it an made him stop doing what he was doing. An I remember if I ever hurt myself round him it was always. Whats wrong mate. ahhh hurt your finger in the door poor thing do you need a lie down. Sure I can find a pretty little dress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back