Pets Why is killing an animal for meat considered acceptable but killing a pet is not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
If I lived on a farm and cut a sheep's neck so that it bled out and died, this would be viewed as somehow acceptable.

However if I went home and wrung a guinea pig's neck, this is viewed as disturbing behaviour.

Even if I killed the animal for the same reason, let's say I was moving to an apartment block that didn't accept animals, the two acts are seen as different.

Is there any justifiable reason, or is it just culture?

I think it has to do with the reasons you are killing it?

Killing animals for meat is part of farming.
Killing a domestic pet, well why? Did you get a pet just so you could kill it for the sake of it? Our if you can no longer look after it, why not give it away or at least euthanize it at a vet?

It's all about motive.

The domestic live stock only exist because we want to eat them.

What is better to not exist or to exist and then get eaten?

Pets exist for other reasons i.e. companionship, security, food source during apocalypse etc.

All animals have their evolutionary "advantages". For chickens, it's that they are tasty and lay eggs.

• Banned
I think it has to do with the reasons you are killing it?

Killing animals for meat is part of farming.
Killing a domestic pet, well why? Did you get a pet just so you could kill it for the sake of it? Our if you can no longer look after it, why not give it away or at least euthanize it at a vet?

It's all about motive.

If the motive is the same, because the animal can't be maintained, or you're just sick of it. Is there a difference between killing a goat or a cat?

I would say no, however we kill goats all the time. And to the goat it makes no difference whether it is eaten . . . Interesting.

If the motive is the same, because the animal can't be maintained, or you're just sick of it. Is there a difference between killing a goat or a cat?

I would say no, however we kill goats all the time. And to the goat it makes no difference whether it is eaten . . . Interesting.

In this case, killing either is completely unacceptable in my mind

Attachment is a factor, also the purpose is important. Dogs for example have a long history of human companionship. They are not wild animals and they will struggle to survive without humans. They were initially bred for the purpose of helping hunter gathers, not for food, that's why in wars, crime scenes you see dogs and not pet bears (who have better sense of smell than dogs).

How often are goats being killed for convenience? Why am I just hearing about this?

I don't think there is any justifiable reason.

What about killing elephants for ivory so the poacher can make a living and someone can wear some fancy jewellery?

Any different to a slaughterhouse killing a cow for beef so the farmer can make a living and someone can eat some fancy dinner?

What if elephants were domesticated and bred on factory farms for the sole purpose of producing ivory?What if the farmer cares for the elephants to ensure their survival - they feed them well, vaccinate them against diseases and protect them from aliens and dangerous weather conditions, only to kill them once their tusks are big enough for human consumption?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachment is a factor, also the purpose is important. Dogs for example have a long history of human companionship. They are not wild animals and they will struggle to survive without humans. They were initially bred for the purpose of helping hunter gathers, not for food, that's why in wars, crime scenes you see dogs and not pet bears (who have better sense of smell than dogs).

Believe me, if the cops could train bears and sick them on to people, it would have happened..

Believe me, if the cops could train bears and sick them on to people, it would have happened..

But they cant, thats the point. Walking around with animals weighing anywhere between 80 to 600 kgs is not practical. The training and resources needed to train them is too much. It's not possible to train bears. Fancy bringing a bear to the airport, that will go well.

But they cant, thats the point. Walking around with animals weighing anywhere between 80 to 600 kgs is not practical. The training and resources needed to train them is too much. It's not possible to train bears. Fancy bringing a bear to the airport, that will go well.
About 25 odd used to travel every second week from Brisbane between the years 1987 and 1996.

Never had an issue.

Should've thrown it out the window and let the footpath do the job.

If I lived on a farm and cut a sheep's neck so that it bled out and died, this would be viewed as somehow acceptable.

However if I went home and wrung a guinea pig's neck, this is viewed as disturbing behaviour.

Even if I killed the animal for the same reason, let's say I was moving to an apartment block that didn't accept animals, the two acts are seen as different.

Is there any justifiable reason, or is it just culture?

Simple Pets are pets, animals because we are carnivores or omnivores are food!

Connection with an animal that is a pet, is something much much more , if you have had that connection, and I have , I love animals, and I know we have to kill some to eat, that's part of nature , which we are, we have evolved and now behave like we care, most of us do some don't, I don't know how people kill in the slaughter houses , but if they are compassionate people you would hope that it is done as humanely as possible.
Unfortunately that doesn't happen much does it, in some places. The manner some animals are kept or carted is terrible too.
But you got to eat to live and you need meat and what ever the "veges" tell you , you need meat.

If you accept that killing an animal for it's meat is acceptable then your pet is merely someone else's meal, as long as it's done humanely.
Not if the pet is your property, I can't just go out and drive someone else's car if I feel like it.

Life eats life.

That is evolution and basic biology.

But sentience, self awareness thinks about it all and considers the options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back