Pets Why is killing an animal for meat considered acceptable but killing a pet is not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kaiserchief13

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Killing an animal (such as a pig or a lamb) for food is considered socially / culturally acceptable whereas killing a pet (“a domestic or tamed animal kept for companionship or pleasure.”) would be seen as inhumane.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
A pig or lamb could be a pet. Who are you to decide what animal is a pet and what isn't?

perthblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
It's amusing to me that vegans get accused of being irrational or emotional, when it's always the meat eaters who bring up nothing but emotional arguments for questions such as the one in the OP. It is the height of hypocrisy that we can slaughter so-called food animals en masse, but I am not legally allowed to raise cats and dogs for slaughter and sell their meat.

sprockets

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It's amusing to me that vegans get accused of being irrational or emotional, when it's always the meat eaters who bring up nothing but emotional arguments for questions such as the one in the OP. It is the height of hypocrisy that we can slaughter so-called food animals en masse, but I am not legally allowed to raise cats and dogs for slaughter and sell their meat.
So you're saying the meat eaters make the laws?

There's nothing wrong with killing animals for food because it's something we've always done since humans were invented and even before that. If humans stopped killing animals for food it wouldn't put any sized dent in the number of animals killed for food by other animals. As much as some don't want to believe it humans aren't more important than other animals, except some might say the propagation of its species is an animal's number one duty.

Having said that, I'd put the lives of my dogs before that of most other animals because I have an emotional attachment to them and they've helped me through some tough times with their genuine love and loyalty. Next question is 'What is love"...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom