Society/Culture Why is Melbin [sic] so out of step with the rest of Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot of them don't know people there however. Thinking of expat English who move to Perth. You ask them where they're from and the answer is overwhelmingly not London/Manchester/biggish place you've heard of. The draw was taking the 'boring' life they already had and adding sunshine to it.
You are talking about your parents here, right?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
All this leftist stuff on here is typical of Melbourne - Always has been radical going back to the 1800`s.
I hope your all happy living in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Victoria when the rest of the country is largely happy to sit in the middle politically.
Learn from the recent election - Albanese has learned already and will adjust Labors policies accordingly it seems.

All this leftist stuff on here is typical of Melbourne - Always has been radical going back to the 1800`s.
I hope your all happy living in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Victoria when the rest of the country is largely happy to sit in the middle politically.
Learn from the recent election - Albanese has learned already and will adjust Labors policies accordingly it seems.
I wouldn't call the LNP "the middle".

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

At least we're honest unlike Queenslanders spinning their votes for a third Liberal term as "protest".

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Tertiary education for overseas students in Melbourne is rort to gain entry into the country. Complete a degree in catering and you're entitled to permanent residency. Some of the people 'graduating' can barely speak English. Not that it matters when they drive for Deliveroo or the Chinese only equivalent 'mo er Ben song can'

The crime stats in Victoria have been falling for a number of years, except for a certain demographic and type of violent crime.
Complete a degree and you're entitled (after checks) to 2 years of temporary residency.

Why bother lying?

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
As a lefty lynchmobber myself, the views a vast majority of young voters hold is a saving grace for Melbourne as a town. Barring the footy & E/SE inner burbs, the place doesn't have much going for it. Of course, its residents would quickly realise this if they weren't stuck so far up their own arses.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Suits their agenda for whatever reason.

Completing degrees in Australia definitely does not mean you get instant PR.
In some professions, Go8 grads get their feet through the door a little easier overseas, though it's by far the defining factor.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Tertiary education for overseas students in Melbourne is rort to gain entry into the country. Complete a degree in catering and you're entitled to permanent residency. Some of the people 'graduating' can barely speak English. Not that it matters when they drive for Deliveroo or the Chinese only equivalent 'mo er Ben song can'

The crime stats in Victoria have been falling for a number of years, except for a certain demographic and type of violent crime.
Crime stats are falling on a per capita basis, but the raw numbers have increased.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Complete a degree and you're entitled (after checks) to 2 years of temporary residency.

During the two years of temporary residency they are entitled to work full time then during this time apply for permanent residency via a skilled independent visa. There's a very long list of skilled occupations that qualify including chef and hairdresser. It would be hard to find a degree that didn't qualify you for permanent residency.

And that's just the government sanctioned side of it. Overseas students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week but many work full time and do a minimum of study, or no study at all. The Australian Financial Review reported the existence of "ghost schools" that facilitate this practise. They can do this because they are not required to report attendance figures.

https://www.afr.com/news/policy/edu...l-education-and-training-rort-20181019-h16u7a

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
There's more.

The Council for International Students in Australia said foreign potential students were attracted to Australia by the possibility of migrating here.​
The national president of CISA, Bijay Sapkota, said… “For people coming from low socio-economic backgrounds there has to be a value proposition. If they go home they will not get value. So there has to be a possibility of immigration.”​
The reality is that Australia’s education system has become an integral part of the immigration industry – effectively a way for foreigners to buy backdoor permanent residency to Australia.​

1558685830921.png

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/08/foreign-students-lobby-admits-immigration/

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Main difference between Melbournians and people from other capital cities is that Melbournians aren't obsessed by the rest whereas the rest seem obsessed by Melbourne.

Take the OP for example:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...eming-feature-of-living-in-melbourne.1213824/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/melbourne-crime-infestation-and-glorification.1213687/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...melbourne-clubs-stinking-up-the-comp.1213189/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...t-of-step-with-the-rest-of-australia.1219163/

That's an awful lot of 'Melbourne' hating topics started by one person in just 3 months and it's not even taking into account his other posts bagging the place. That's quite a large chip.

While I'm here, do you people realise that uni's actually head hunt students from places such as Vietnam? I know because it was part of my brother's (civil engineering lecturer) job. They sent him on yearly junkets to Vietnam to do just that.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any man who hasn’t lived in a major city (or overseas) before he is 35 is a failure*.

I'm wearing that failure badge like a boss.
You can stick ALL cities up your collective jacksies.
However, Melbournians do have a quite special trait in being sanctimonious know all's above all others.
So many w***ers down there.
At least we're honest unlike Queenslanders spinning their votes for a third Liberal term as "protest".
Speaking of sanctimonious w***ers

Yesss, let the tears flow.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Move away from Fitzroy.

They have taken over all the traditional inner city working class burroughs.

It's in synch with their take over of the Labor Party.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Of course there is that correlation when the unis are preaching ridiculous left wing propaganda such as multiple gender pronouns and trigger warnings. Probably needs to be a review of the overall higher education system
This is so dumb.

Uni's are training grounds. Go there, get trained, leave. They're are taking on more vocational training. Hardly any money goes into the small, and shrinking, departments you're talking about.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This is so dumb.

Uni's are training grounds. Go there, get trained, leave. They're are taking on more vocational training. Hardly any money goes into the small, and shrinking, departments you're talking about.

Heaps of money goes in to that crap at Uni administration level.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
The Victorian media would have had you believe Dan Andrews is doing a terrific job and federal labor were certainties to win.
As much of a smug, opportunist campaigner Andrews is. This removal of train crossings project of his got rid of the crossing at Gardiner Station in Glen Iris. I can't tell you how much of a pain in the arse that crossing is. Even if it doesn't affect 95% of Melbournians, just doing alone that should get him a second term.

Now, they're getting rid of the Reservoir station crossing at High st. That on its own should be enough for a third term.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
So the natural choice for most is Melbourne. Reasonably cheap, lots of things to do, the home of footy if that’s what you love, great bars, restaurants, breweries, decent public transport (compared to Sydney). It’s the natural centre of young, progressive people.
Melbourne is pretty good but I've seen most of Australia and I think I've yet to see a place that is more overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back