Society/Culture Why is Melbin [sic] so out of step with the rest of Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes i get it. My homeless people dont count to making a place crap but yours do. Do you read what you write?

There is no good data on cities. But given most people in those states live in those two cities then the data aint going to be much different from the state data. You act like melbourne has multiple times higher. In the end its about the same. Might even be slightly lower then Brisbanes.

Change your opinion when the facts suggest you are wrong. Be mature.
Demographics would suggest that homelessness goes in to the cbd because the services are there (Bourke st drop in centre run by salvos), while homeless in suburbs either hidden (couch surfing) or in shelters and srs.

Facts are facts. We aspire to more then a steak or parmigiana meal with local beer, jimmy barnes songs playing in the background and old farts trying to chat up women half their age.
Sounds awesome. Add some pub poker and I’m there!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Demographics would suggest that homelessness goes in to the cbd because the services are there (Bourke st drop in centre run by salvos), while homeless in suburbs either hidden (couch surfing) or in shelters and srs.
That would make my argument even stronger as more victorians are city based and yet victoria still has lower homeless rates then queensland.

That would make my argument even stronger as more victorians are city based and yet victoria still has lower homeless rates then queensland.
No, if the argument is Brisbane v Melbourne then the homeless are concentrated in Melbourne while they are (for example) spread outside of Brisbane (eg remote communities) then it makes Melbourne seem worse than Brisbane despite Victoria having a lower homeless rate.

Note I only give this as a possibility I have no statistical evidence

Country areas empirically has a higher rate of homelessness than the city

Not to mention the rampant drug use. In my hometown in Tassie, it's hard to find someone that doesn't smoke meth.

I know a few people in their late 30s/early 40s who have moved to Castlemaine and Ballarat.

I suspect the push by both Federal and state governments to make regional centres more attractive, plus upgrades to major rail links, means more people will decide to make the change.
We've been thinking of moving further into Clive Palmer territory up the coast, where shoes and teeth are optional.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Live an hour and a half out of Melbourne. Visit maybe a half dozen times a year for footy, or to visit brother in Altona Meadows.

That’s enough for me.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Problem is, Melbourne has been a progressives enclave for much longer than the rest of Australia. It means that they are 3-4 generations deep now, so they drown out anyone who disagrees with them.
The rest of Australia didn't catch up until the 90s, so the opposition to the progressives is still large (percentage wise)
I'm not so sure about this.

It's the home of the labour rights movement in Australia, of organised student politics and contemporary activism.

But there was always a big political divide. Lets not forget, it used to also be home to a lot of safe liberal seats. Though Victorian liberals were of a different kind (mostly creepy toffs), to their northern counterparts. I think it's a mix of history (labour movement), industry (education) and demographics (young people).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why are people perpetuating this lie. Are they that afraid of non-white people?

At least you are consistent in your stupidity.

Courses under Cookery and Hospitality field not only promise an exciting career but also hold potential in obtaining permanent residency status. Passionate students invest in their career through quality Australian education and hands-on work experiences. Whether your passion is in cooking, baking or managing hotels, Australia’s booming tourism industry is always in need of hospitable and passionate persons making a difference in their job.

Cookery, Patisserie and Hospitality jobs in the list are Chef; Cafe or Restaurant Manager; Caravan Park and Camping Ground Manager; Hotel or Motel Manager; Licensed Club Manager; Bed and Breakfast Operator; Accommodation and Hospitality Managers; Baker and Pastrycook.

With so many disenfranchised youth from SA, Tas and country Vic heading to Melboume it is no wonder they vote green or labor.

Everyone in their youth wants an opportunity and to feel secure. So naturally they support the sales pitch of the parties selling that story.

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You can't really call a city out of step if it makes up a solid proportion of the nations population and isn't that dissimilar voting wise, from the other largest state capital.

It was way out of step with Sydney and south east Queensland. Both have similar or larger populations

Back