Why is such a big deal made of the ANZAC game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, the AFL jumped on the bandwagon many years after Anzac day was revived and popularised. To me they're just jumping on the coat tails. The popularity of Remembrance increased from the 70s and then exploded in popularity over next two decades from events such as the 75th anniversary Govt pilgrimage to Gallipoli, funding for shrines/events and revitalised annual rituals for all wars.
I'm afraid to say that the AFL will jump on any event if they can make money on it.
I'm no Pom lover but its often forgotten or never mentioned that they lost twice as many men at Gallipoli than the Anzac's and French put together. A very sobering thought on this day.

Nothing more to add. My original point was directed at the Port supporter who said that only the two competing clubs profit from today. All 18 clubs profit. The AFL needs to make money off marque games. It supports all the teams.
I agree it helps. I have no problem with the game or the permanent participants. We've previously played a game in Canberra against the Dees on ANZAC day and growing that is the answer for non-Vic clubs, if there needs to be an answer in my view. The participation medals though are a different story.

No argument from me. Just quoting the financials.

I reckon GWS should relocate to Canberra. Sydney is a hostile city that doesn't give a s**t about AFL. I was up there two weekends ago and had to flip back to the classifieds in the Sunday paper to find anything on AFL.
This is what we are up against in Sydney and this junior competition is getting even bigger.
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2019/04/10/panthers-primed-to-break-junior-league-record/
I'm not sure Canberra is the answer to be honest, but certainly i think the money spend on propping up GWS could be better spent elsewhere

Pies and Bombers fans harping on how great they are at drawing a crowd, you get 60k to your non-anzac day games no better then a Geelong vs Hawthorn game. They and a number of other clubs could easily get the 90k crowds as well when 30k of the crowd is just there because of the day not the teams playing.

As for it being the 2nd biggest game of the year, you have half the workforce at home for a day and most of us get bored by around lunchtime looking for something to watch on TV. I could not name 1 Anzac day medalist or even who won any of them.

I never said a non vic club should be played at the G, I am not even saying it shouldn’t be as it is. I am just pointing out how these clubs get a leg up from the AFL when they don’t need it.
A normal Richmond V Melbourne rounds 3-7 game in my lifetime draws about 40-60k.
AFL jump behind it, make it stand alone FTA around Australia and surprise surprise it is all of a sudden a marquee game played in front of 80k plus.
30 plus years of the game going national and still to this day neither the Derby or showdown has been given stand alone, AFL pump up, FTA nationally.
It makes little sense to me.
Again it’s not about my club as my club is fine but what a spectacle that would be if you had a stand alone day let’s say Good Friday where just the Showdown and Derby is on. Pumped up by the AFL machine, stand alone day. No vic clubs. Nationwide FTA.
Dees v Tigers got 72K last night.

Hawks v Cats have had Easter Monday for a decade now, and often been a battle between two top4 teams. I think they have one crowd of above 80k.

The day doesn’t create the ‘blockbuster’. Collingwood v Essendon creates the ‘blockbuster’. The AFL milks those clubs in the name of maximising the commercial dollar.

From an AFL perspective, they have no incentive to play Eagles v Dockers in a stand alone slot unless the TV networks start demanding it.

Pies and Bombers fans harping on how great they are at drawing a crowd, you get 60k to your non-anzac day games no better then a Geelong vs Hawthorn game. They and a number of other clubs could easily get the 90k crowds as well when 30k of the crowd is just there because of the day not the teams playing.

As for it being the 2nd biggest game of the year, you have half the workforce at home for a day and most of us get bored by around lunchtime looking for something to watch on TV. I could not name 1 Anzac day medalist or even who won any of them.
It hasn't always been Collingwood and Essendon on ANZAC day you know, other teams have played this day before, can you name the games that got 90k to them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good being at the MCG when it's genuinely full and there's a neatness to always knowing the game will happen a year in advance but the Anzac side of it is pretty tired.

How many H/A games between Essendon and Collingwood have you got 90k outside of Anzac day?
A bit of a ridiculous question when you consider there has only ever been 13 H&A crowds over 90K

Collingwood v Essendon on ANZAC have 6 of them.

There are only two 90k+ H&A crowds that didn’t occur on a public holiday

R1 2018 when 90,152 went to see Tigers v Carlton for Richmond to show their first flag in almost 40 years

R20 2000 when 91,571 went to see ESS v Carl on Friday in a 1 v 2 clash

People have some ridiculous notion that it is ANZAC Day that creates the massive event...play Coll v ESS/Carl/Rich on a public holiday early in the season and you will get 85K+

Put North v Saints on ANZAC day and you get 40-50k max. And all of a sudden it isn’t the big ‘blockbuster’ anymore.

And to be fair, I couldn’t give a s**t about ‘blockbusters’ but the AFL has put commercial interests ahead of competition integrity, and the result is a fixture designed to maximise attendance and TV $$$.

For me, Anzac Day is Essendon v Collingwood and should always be. What irritates me is the media fawning over the game, with stupid articles about the greatest moments, ranking the Anzac Day medalists, etc. It is a two horse race.

That's not what i asked, you said other clubs can draw 90k to THIS day, i asked you to tell me out of all the other clubs that HAVE played ANZAC games, how many drew 90k?
I'll answer your little question, you will still deflect from what I have put to you and focus on what you want to hear though.

You guys took over Anzac Day in 1995, prior to that the games were not stand alone or even played every year but there was a 92k crowd between Richmond and Collingwood on Anzac Day though for what its worth.

I'll ask you again, how many Collingwood vs Essendon H/A Games have got 90k fans outside of Anzac Day and if it is so much about the clubs themselves why do your average attendances drop 30,000 when you don't play on Anzac Day?

I'll answer your little question, you will still deflect from what I have put to you and focus on what you want to hear though.

You guys took over Anzac Day in 1995, prior to that the games were not stand alone or even played every year but there was a 92k crowd between Richmond and Collingwood on Anzac Day though for what its worth.

I'll ask you again, how many Collingwood vs Essendon H/A Games have got 90k fans outside of Anzac Day and if it is so much about the clubs themselves why do your average attendances drop 30,000 when you don't play on Anzac Day?

It’s because it is an event on the AFL calendar, many neutrals attend Anzac Day game that don’t attend the return game later in the year. I know many that have gone from Perth for today’s game and all of them are looking forward to the pre match ceremony more than the game itself.

So the answer is 1 team other than Collingwood and Essendon, and that team played Collingwood, so you are just talking crap.
The rest of your post is just (your word) deflection from what you claimed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back