Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

...okay I'll bite:

As opposed to a club that won 3 premierships in its former life that was not accepted as history by the Sydney Swans and has only one in it's current history of 24 years?

I treated losing Fitzroy like losing a member of the family. Now if somebody hung sh*t on one of my family members after they had passed on, I would rip there eye balls out and feed them to the dog. I'm no different with Fitzroy.

Im fed up reading crap from little pussies hiding behind there computer monitors bagging out the club. If you don't like this Fitzroy board then f*ck off!

I just discovered this forum and had a ball reading the threads. It's great to see so many royboys and girls still up and about. I was only a young fella when i supported (11 in 1996) so my memories aren't as vivid as others, however i do remember watching the roys out at "Western Oval" and that one, glorious win over the dockers. Was it Mellington that smashed them that day? Anyway, going into the social rooms afterwards and getting to sit at a table and eat sausage rolls and party pies with the guys is possibly my greatest football moment. To all the naysayers out there, i say bah, let us enjoy it. The roys meant a great deal to a lot of people and this goes a small way to basking in the pleasures of a time past. Go Roys!

Fitzroy meant a lot to many people for many years, and this board doesn't hurt anyone. I was sorry to see Fitzroy fall over in 1996, but the Lions live on in Brisbane now, with three flags to their credit.

Considering the shoddy treatment afforded Fitzroy and the Bears in the early 1990s, these flags are the most deserved of any.

If you haven't got anything nice to say about Fitzroy, don't say anything at all.

Could I just remind all visitors to this board that:

1) Fitzroy Football Club still exists. Fitzroy still has over 1100 members, 10 years after we were removed from the AFL. 2007 Fitzroy Football Club memberships will soon be out. www.fitzroyfc.com.au

2) Fitzroy were in the VFL-AFL competition for 100 years and we have plenty to talk about. 8 premierships and 8 Brownlows for a start.

3) Some of our former players still are involved in the AFL. For example
Senior coaches: Paul Roos(Syd), Ross Lyon (StK)
Assistant coaches John Blakey (Syd), Ken Hinkley (Gee).

4) And if you want a further present day connection, the 'Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club' (trading as the 'Brisbane Lions') also plays in the AFL. Fitzroy Football is still making the news and did so as recently as July 2006 and also in December 2004. The Fitzroy guernsey is still worn in the AFL (twice in 2005) and will be worn again, possibly in 2007.

Furthermore I move that any such thread-starters of this topic on this board be permantly banned from future posting on the Fitzroy board and the thread locked, or better yet, deleted.
I,m glad to here Fitzroy is still about even if its the brissy Lions I have some great mates in Melbourne who loved and followed the mighty Lions I remember my Hawks always having a bit of trouble with Fitzroy even in our glory days never lose the memories .Traditionalists will always remember and keep the royboys alive and well in Brisbane .Go Gorillas.

Yeah I think it's time that people got over Fitzroy. Truly crap club that is well and truly in the past.
And that would be the same "crap club" that produced someone who coached the Swans to their first flag in 72 years.

Rather than being so disrespectful, you should be thankful.

I think it is great that there is a Fitzroy board on BF, and long may it be the case. :thumbsu:

Agreed. Long live Fitzroy. (I'd point out that the "JoffaMan" who started this rubbish excuse for a thread is infact a St.Kilda supporter. It's not the Joffa of gold-jacket fame/infamy. As a Collingwood supporter, I hope the Fitzroy board keeps on going strong - keep up the good work, guys!)

Well if Fitzroy get a board why don't University?

Why would anyone bother? No one here was alive when they played, or when they died, no one would have supported them, at least here there are some Fitzroy regulars that come here and discuss their old club.

Personally i am happy the Roys still have their own board. They are and were a great club i think the league has gone downhill since the roys went out of it.

Personally i am happy the Roys still have their own board. They are and were a great club i think the league has gone downhill since the roys went out of it.
That's a nice comment. :) I think the league has changed a LOT since 1996, and I don't think it's all for the better sadly......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Bored Blue. We were in alliance with Coburg a few years ago and played as Coburg-Fitzroy against the Blues at VFL level in the Fitzroy jumper and I remember well the terrific response from Blues fans. Same goes for Collingwood fans I have to say when we played them in a night game at AFL Park

Same goes for Collingwood fans I have to say when we played them in a night game at AFL Park
That was just about the worst weather conditions I can remember for a footy match (& I've even played footy in snow). Arctic Park really lived up to its name. Most spectators were hidden high in the stands. You could hear people barracking, but couldn't see them anywhere. A few mad fools ventured out into the rain & sleet for a while. Not me. I could understand that for a real Fitzroy match, but not for Coburg-Fitzroy.

Great to see the Roy's spirit alive, enjoy your rich heritage. Don't listen to the peanuts, they aren't real footy fans. All the best guys!

Thanks Fles, but I got some of my most empathetic support from peanuts, usually with face in a bowl of them at the bar of the Albion Charles!

better than your club ever did! And all brisbanes premiships don't count as yours how many premiships did u guys win ? mmm not as much as us yer thats right!

better than your club ever did! And all brisbanes premiships don't count as yours how many premiships did u guys win ? mmm not as much as us yer thats right!

One premiership in 50 years.....really impressive...

At least most people have someone to barrack for on Grand Final day when their side isn't playing - they get to barrack for (and usually they are on a winner) when they barrack for the side who is playing Collingwood!!

Mate get it right 17 years ago we won a premiship in 1990. Mate u don't even barrack for a team. Your probably are bandwagon like the rest of the brisbane lion supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back