Analysis Why isn’t McClarty getting a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a genuine question so don't crucify me...

Is his awareness an issue? Because of his hearing.

No indication or rumours about that.
Not sure why they were playing him Forward, when recruited as a Defender?
Is it his tank? Running patterns?
Something odd, thought he would have been the obvious option this weekend.
He is our last KPP left in the reserves.

No indication or rumours about that.
Not sure why they were playing him Forward, when recruited as a Defender?
Is it his tank? Running patterns?
Something odd, thought he would have been the obvious option this weekend.
He is our last KPP left in the reserves.

Seems odd that he is playing as a forward when our need is in defence.

Has been named CHB this week in VFL.
Let’s hope he plays there. With Dunn and Moore finished for the year, and Reid only just resuming, we need some options for the big forwards.

The issue has been his tank - at his size your average mobile modern KPF would blow him up on bigger AFL grounds by taking him up the ground and getting him out the back going the other way, so I reckon he just needs another solid pre season under his belt.

He's also just barely turned 20 - it is still the norm for big young KPP's to take a few years to develop before they're ready for football at AFL level.

He goes ok so I'm not worried - happy to be patient and I'm sure he'll be in the frame to get games next year if he doesn't get any in the last three rounds.

Not quite ready.
Likely benefit from another strong preseason.

As he’s been emergency a few times suggest there are no issues.

Patience will be rewarded.

Is he contracted for next year. If not he has reason to be worried.
All these injuries & hasn’t been given a look in. I know people say he may need another pre season, but the club may feel 2 years is enough time to show he can play at this level & dominate when at VFL level.

The likes of Daicos, Brown, Murray, Appleby, Mihocek, Madgen & Sier have all had chances this season.
Now even the forgotten Oxley has as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- with his 2018 role he can only really replace Cox in the side

- outside of his first 4-6 weeks his form has been patchy with only his game a fortnight ago knocking on the door

- admittedly he’s play large ruck minutes, but he hasn’t been a big goal kicker

- his body isn’t AFL ready

The coaching staff have mentioned that communication on the field is more difficult because of his hearing. I doubt it is why he isn't getting a game however.

Because he isn’t ready! I mean I’m actually confused as to why the question would even be necessary? KPP’s and big bodied mids take longer to break in because there’s less opportunities available at senior level and it takes time for their bodies to be ready for opponents at the next level. We’re at least 12 months away from his progression being an issue.

Because we have a coaching group who actually know the progress of the players intimately, and what the strength and weaknesses of each player actually is.

McClarty they clearly don’t think is ready for AFL defensive role, and outsider looking in we are valuing agility more than anything in 2018.

It’s been almost two years since he was drafted.

What is he missing?

At the beginning of the year the coaching staff made a decision to play McLarty forward and ruck. They have had a consistent policy of selecting like for like players. When the opportunity to be selected forward occurred Mihocek got the nod, performed and is yet to relinquish his spot in the team.

If McLarty were playing back and performing in the role in the twos i'm confident he would have debuted. He has been a named emergency through the season so he's gotten close.

I think playing forward ruck will be good for McLarty's long term develop. But I reckon his best footy has been back and that's where his future lies. It's interesting he's been named at full back in the VFL and it'll be interesting if he ends up playing there on the day; it might indicate that's where the coaches see his chances and long term prospects too.

Because he isn’t ready! I mean I’m actually confused as to why the question would even be necessary? KPP’s and big bodied mids take longer to break in because there’s less opportunities available at senior level and it takes time for their bodies to be ready for opponents at the next level. We’re at least 12 months away from his progression being an issue.
I was genuinely curious as I don’t get a chance to watch much VFL.

Its not what you are asking, it is who you are asking

You know full well you will get an array of answers like:
"Our selectors are idiots" or "our Coach is an idiot" by people who have NFI as to what the boy needs to do to get a gig
I’ve culled a lot of posters so haven’t seen those replies. The consensus seems to be that he is not physically ready.

I was genuinely curious as I don’t get a chance to watch much VFL.

We have a VFL thread every week so this year you have circa 100-150 pages of content to go through in order to gain a better understanding before creating a thread. My mindset is to inform myself first then clarify if required so I remain confused...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back