Why isnt Castanga a midfielder yet ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Blind Freddy can even see this gem of a player is best suited to run. So I'm just a little perplexed how our coaching group hasn't identified his main strength is his run and carry and he should ideally be in the midfield and start on the wing.

His set shots are often cringe, but his agility, evasiveness, speed and endurance make Jason the ultimate player to develop for the midfield. Instead of bringing in and plonking on the wing players who are genuinely slow and can't make decisions quickly (Aarta, Graham, Higgins, Caddy, Ross), develop Castagna and build him up for this new role.

This opens up the forward line for Rioli, Shai, Stack where they should be the 'new' mosqito fleet. I am interested in hearing about Bolton playing midfield in a few years time too.

We are slow at the moment identifying that the current game is different to last year. Speed kills in 2020, slow ball movement and decision making isn't as relevant as it was without spectators and we need to inject serious workrate and speed into this line up.

Castanga to the midfield should be as much a priority as Balta in defence.

Tend to agree.
We have an abundance of Small fwds but the lack of a quick endurance wingman since errrrrrrrrrrl Ellis left.
I have high hopes for at least one of Naish/Turner or English to fill a wing spot over the next few years.
Up until then i think George fits that bill perfectly.

Tend to agree.
We have an abundance of Small fwds but the lack of a quick endurance wingman since errrrrrrrrrrl Ellis left.
I have high hopes for at least one of Naish/Turner or English to fill a wing spot over the next few years.
George was actually drafted as a half back so he definitely has the attributes to play the role
He’s also a very good mark for his size

George was actually drafted as a half back so he definitely has the attributes to play the role
He’s also a very good mark for his size
For his size he's an excellent mark.

Midfielders need football smarts/decision making to work through traffic constantly and ball winning ability. They also need good skills especially as an outside player likely on a wing.

Castagna doesn't have any of that. It would be like trying to convert Prestia into a forward. It just wouldn't work.

Midfielders need football smarts/decision making to work through traffic constantly and ball winning ability. They also need good skills especially as an outside player likely on a wing.

Castagna doesn't have any of that. It would be like trying to convert Prestia into a forward. It just wouldn't work.
Do you watch the same Richmond I watch?

Granted he's not a good handball, and not a great kick, but his run and carry is supreme and his movement through traffic is better than anyone besides Edwards. Ball winning ability? As a wingman, does he need to develop that skill? Or can we just teach him to play to his strengths and kick to the advantage of our forward structure?

Same people s**t on Butler last year and he's slowly morphing into a 2020 Andrew McLeod.

Because he’s s£#t house! Absolute dud who shouldn’t be getting a game. Opposition leave him on his own in forward 50 all the time cos they know he’ll blow it. His opponent peels off And chops out one of our decent forwards. Should’ve kept butler and delisted this dud!

Because he’s s£#t house! Absolute dud who shouldn’t be getting a game. Opposition leave him on his own in forward 50 all the time cos they know he’ll blow it. His opponent peels off And chops out one of our decent forwards. Should’ve kept butler and delisted this dud!

Lmfao 2 time premiership player dud

Moron

nah hes definitely not a midfielder imo. talk about run, half forward is generally the hardest position in terms of the running and sprint efforts, especially in a richmond team. he fits in perfectly where he is now.

bolton is the one who should be moving more into the midfield as his career progresses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Panic merchant in the forward line, imagine him under some actual midfield pressure. Not smart enough to find the ball either. Plus his inside 50s would be disgusting.

We could always play natural wingers like Naish and Turner on the wing, but that move would make too much sense.

Panic merchant in the forward line, imagine him under some actual midfield pressure. Not smart enough to find the ball either. Plus his inside 50s would be disgusting.

We could always play natural wingers like Naish and Turner on the wing, but that move would make too much sense.
It seems like only their small stature is holding them back. Was hoping Naish especially would've used the break to bulk up but apparently not. They should be best 22 locks by now.

should play wing permanently every time they put him in there for 5 minutes he makes good stuff happen then they move him back

Don't think he should be a midfielder but he should be in the middle at times. To me his gf position from last year was perfect. Starting forward but pushing up the wings even up to half back at times to run and carry into the forward half.

If there's a player who should move to the middle it's rioli. While not huge he is tall enough, is smart, fast, and has sublime skills. Just needs to learn to get the ball more, but that's hard when you're always in the forward 50.

Castagna got up the ground and even played wing at times in the GF and if he had kicked half straight would have won the Norm Smith. He really hasn't been tried, but he aggression and running would be something we don't have. He could just hoof it long when he gets it.

Tend to agree.

Macca and Pickett doing ok.

Cotchin. Martin. Prestia. Nank. Bolton. Edwards. Lambert. Graham. Caddy?

Bit of a logjam

So if he should be a winger, is he better than KMac?

IF so - Do we put George on the wing (and we have seen him up and down the park this year with a defensive presence) this weekend instead of KMac ?

Prestia for Ross.
Bolton for K Mac with George on a wing and Bolton forward rotating through middle with Dusty ?

So if he should be a winger, is he better than KMac?

IF so - Do we put George on the wing (and we have seen him up and down the park this year with a defensive presence) this weekend instead of KMac ?

Prestia for Ross.
Bolton for K Mac with George on a wing and Bolton forward rotating through middle with Dusty ?
Id swap them during the game and see what works.

No, George's biggest asset is his pressure. The combo of him + rioli + Aarts means that there is constantly so much pressure on the other team when trying to get out of defence. They don't all have to play well, usually one of them has a good game and the other two are quiet, it's the nature of that position.

Especially against a team like Brisbane George is valuable because they don't have great rebound 50 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back