Why isn't the torpedo used more?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No jokes, I expect to see this become a thing within 5-10 years.

As in, clubs recruiting / selecting players for their torp length / hangtime /consistency (in addition to ability to defend / kick goals).

Even just spreading the press by 20m changes the ability to exit D50 dramatically.

The designated kicker will still need to be able to play his role fwd / back. He won't be a one-trick pony.

But he will be able to consistently hit 70m / x second hangtime kicks, and it will change the game.

Give it time, tactically / strategically speaking, the AFL is at least 20 years behind where it ought to be.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Guys...I know we all enjoy a torp...but please think about why it doesn’t get used regularly...

It’s difficult to execute and highly inaccurate....just like it has been for the entire history of the game.
And it requires a serious run-up to execute properly. It could work ok if you did have a bit of space to move into, but by that stage a modern footballer would have had time to hit a good target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Guys...I know we all enjoy a torp...but please think about why it doesn’t get used regularly...

It’s difficult to execute and highly inaccurate....just like it has been for the entire history of the game.

That Ben Graham clip exemplifies the point. It's unpredictable and is every chance of simply winding up in the oppositions hands.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Because you could count on one hand how many players could consistently do it.

Torpedoes are amazing when they work. But they rarely work and no team is going to add that sort of volatility or chaos into their game plan.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Why not just round it up to an even 100?
I kicked a 100m torp once. Well, it was 50, but it was as good as 100. Wind was in my face so if I kicked with the wind it would’ve been 65. That’s as good as 70m. 70m is 77 yards and a yard is basically a meter so that makes it 80m. But then you add that it bounced another 15m which makes it 95m and you always round up with a 5 so it was 100m.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I kicked a 100m torp once. Well, it was 50, but it was as good as 100. Wind was in my face so if I kicked with the wind it would’ve been 65. That’s as good as 70m. 70m is 77 yards and a yard is basically a meter so that makes it 80m. But then you add that it bounced another 15m which makes it 95m and you always round up with a 5 so it was 100m.
Yeah - well however long you kicked your torry - mine was 5m longer.....

While we're at it, why don't players just go "up the guts" more?

Or waste time "mucking around with handballs and just kick the bloody thing?"

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Because you could count on one hand how many players could consistently do it.

Torpedoes are amazing when they work. But they rarely work and no team is going to add that sort of volatility or chaos into their game plan.

Is that why the drop punt rules?

Note Hudson used a flat punt.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Torpedos are easy to do if you have time, and don’t kick it too hard.

the problem being of course, that players very rarely have time, and if you don’t kick it too hard it won’t go very far so you’re just better off doing a drop punt...

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s so rare that it goes longer than a drop punt anyway.

when they have the kick across the Yarra, I know from watching Hawkins for example, his torps mostly go about 55 metres - if he nailed one it might go 65 but his best drop punts also go 55-60 and he can execute them maybe 75 per cent of the time. I don’t know what mathematics would make the torp a better option

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah well my great uncle Bob once kicked a torp from Wangaratta to Glenelg. 125m shank that landed in the back of a dump truck they say. He still gets free sodas at the local

Remove this Banner Ad

Back