Why Minson in Players Association leadership group but removed from our Club's

Remove this Banner Ad

zucvv

Team Captain
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone confirm the locker room saga last season true or not? If not why is he removed from our leadership group? If it's true and such a d******d, why is he voted the vice-president of AFLPA? Someone enlighten me.

Completely different things. The players association is about player welfare and best representing the players as people first and footballers second. To have a position such as president or Vice President you need to be well spoken and be well educated in the issues the association represents. As we know Will is intelligent and well spoken.
This is completely different to being in the leadership group of a football team.

Completely different things. The players association is about player welfare and best representing the players as people first and footballers second. To have a position such as president or Vice President you need to be well spoken and be well educated in the issues the association represents. As we know Will is intelligent and well spoken.
This is completely different to being in the leadership group of a football team.
Hit the nail on the head. I was about to type a very similar response.

Being president or vice of the player's association is much more akin to being a politician more than anything else, doesn't equate to leadership on a football team whatsoever.

That's a long bow...

I think it says more about the respect Will has from his opponents, as well as the changing demographic of our team.
kane cornes wouldnt have voted for him haha

either would pearce

If it happened or didn't happen, I don't care.

Geelong had a massive rift that lasted years during their successful years and nobody batted an eyelid because they were winning. Everything from the playing group being split, to drugs and affairs. As long as the media doesn't get wind and blow it up bogans don't start drawing conclusions on what it means on the field. Suddenly because player X doesn't pass that means something else. That same player doesn't pass and kicks the winning goal nobody notices. AFL teams can win premierships with plenty of players not being friends.

There is a difference between being a hands on, mature and personable leader in a group of blokes who do physical work, and being an articulate figurehead of an organisation comprised of 18 different groups that needs someone to liaise with various stakeholders and provide reliable conceptual input.

The roles are fundamentally different. Will is clearly intelligent, articulate, and at the level of interacting with stakeholders and other groups he has demonstrated he has skill (i.e. his role within Indigenous community health organisations) and has a capacity for further development. This is what they need within the AFLPA.

He also happens to be a w***er - a loudmouth, impulsive bully. Which is why he is utterly unsuited to leadership within the club where he has to interact closely with people every day. He steps on toes, he has the 'private school' teasing bigot element about him, and he has yet to learn to avoid this behaviour. Past evidence demonstrates that he may not be able to learn in this area.

He will never be an in club leader in a day to day role. He may be an executive one day though, and I'll bet he'll be a damn good one.

There is a difference between being a hands on, mature and personable leader in a group of blokes who do physical work, and being an articulate figurehead of an organisation comprised of 18 different groups that needs someone to liaise with various stakeholders and provide reliable conceptual input.

The roles are fundamentally different. Will is clearly intelligent, articulate, and at the level of interacting with stakeholders and other groups he has demonstrated he has skill (i.e. his role within Indigenous community health organisations) and has a capacity for further development. This is what they need within the AFLPA.

He also happens to be a ****** - a loudmouth, impulsive bully. Which is why he is utterly unsuited to leadership within the club where he has to interact closely with people every day. He steps on toes, he has the 'private school' teasing bigot element about him, and he has yet to learn to avoid this behaviour. Past evidence demonstrates that he may not be able to learn in this area.

He will never be an in club leader in a day to day role. He may be an executive one day though, and I'll bet he'll be a damn good one.

Those "qualities" make him incredibly well qualified for a CEO type position, and as you say, it will be of no surprise to me to see him in such a role post-footy.

I don't know the specifics, but my hunch is Will is a divisive figure around the club.

I've met him and I thought he was a top bloke, very personable and articulate, but there's just something about him which makes me think he'd piss a lot of people off.

Probably the rumors of what a big mouth he has. Again, not sure how much that extends to off the field, but it wouldn't surprise me.

A good position for someone who is genuine about the welfare of other players and nothing to do with the leadership group at the club..

But the benefits for the players at our club gives them access to a peer who is a member of an important association in footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also happens to be a ****** - a loudmouth, impulsive bully. Which is why he is utterly unsuited to leadership within the club where he has to interact closely with people every day. He steps on toes, he has the 'private school' teasing bigot element about him, and he has yet to learn to avoid this behaviour. Past evidence demonstrates that he may not be able to learn in this area.

Too hard. He is not the sort of guy who is going to get on with everybody but hed be a good guy to go to war with. And he sticks up for teammates on the ground.
I agree with the general point though. He might rile people but he is not a nasty type. And some people Especially younger AFLers Gotta learn to be a little less precious.

So, in other words, he is our Christian Laettner. Now waiting for the ESPN 30 for 30 doco.
#ihatebigwillminson

Hopefully Big Will came emulate Christian and lead us to 4 straight top 4s and 2 championships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back