Why no threads about Sri Lanka and the Tamil Tigers?

bit_pattern

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 6, 2008
Mosman
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because you've been too goddamn lazy to start one! It's good to see you have finally stepped up and started pulling your weight around here, junior ... :mad:

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
Decades of nasty conflict are about to come to a close, in a brutal finale. Neither side has covered itself in glory.

But why no threads about this here?

As I said before the left only like nasty terrorists the great evil the US kills, truely innocent people they have no time for.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I imagine the reason why there aren't any threads on this is because it JUST happened.

I read about it in the paper today, and come on here to find a thread posted yesterday asking why this isn't an issue.

DR, this is a bizarre thread.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
As I said before the left only like nasty terrorists the great evil the US kills, truely innocent people they have no time for.

Erm, as a leftie I'd say its more passive support of the regime and that people really don't have any grave feelings or concerns about this issue. For me it's the latter, I really can't find much fault with the Sri Lankan government. If you want independence, do it peacefully, don't take to arms and engage in violent warfare, especially as your actions have actually forced the government to persecute your people even more. Well done Tamils. Oh and any group which uses people as human shields is despicable IMO (yes Qsaint that includes Hamas).

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Decades of nasty conflict are about to come to a close, in a brutal finale. Neither side has covered itself in glory.

But why no threads about this here?

The Lefties don't care because the people doing the killing aren't Israeli or American.

The Righties don't care because they know that s**t happens all over the planet, and they're only concerned about the parts which are relevant to them.

Short answer: No one cares about Sri Lanka.

bit_pattern

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 6, 2008
Mosman
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Lefties don't care because the people doing the killing aren't Israeli or American.

The Righties don't care because they know that s**t happens all over the planet, and they're only concerned about the parts which are relevant to them.

Short answer: No one cares about Sri Lanka.

You don't suppose that the reason "lefties" care about America killing because it is relevant to them? Or do "righties" have a monopoly on relevance?

Karl Pilkington

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Erm, as a leftie I'd say its more passive support of the regime and that people really don't have any grave feelings or concerns about this issue. For me it's the latter, I really can't find much fault with the Sri Lankan government. If you want independence, do it peacefully, don't take to arms and engage in violent warfare, especially as your actions have actually forced the government to persecute your people even more. Well done Tamils. Oh and any group which uses people as human shields is despicable IMO (yes Qsaint that includes Hamas).

What a ridiculous notion. Independance is won with war. Peace is a nothing concept and peaceful independance is for naught but show.

If you want real freedom you have to be prepared to fight and kill for it. that is a fact.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
What a ridiculous notion. Independance is won with war. Peace is a nothing concept and peaceful independance is for naught but show.

If you want real freedom you have to be prepared to fight and kill for it. that is a fact.
I must of missed the Australian Civil War.

Karl Pilkington

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I must of missed the Australian Civil War.

I must have missed Australian independance.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/protocol/protocol_guidelines/15.html

PF_408971_999~Union-Jack-Posters.jpg

queen2_5_dollar_note_front_big.jpg

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I imagine the reason why there aren't any threads on this is because it JUST happened.

I read about it in the paper today, and come on here to find a thread posted yesterday asking why this isn't an issue.

DR, this is a bizarre thread.

FWIW, it didn't just happen. This last battle has been going on for a while, with nasty consequences for non-combatants in the area.

TerryBosniak

Debutant
Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For the record, the Sri Lankan forces were heavily assisted by Israel over the years, especially in training and weapons supplies.

TerryBosniak

Debutant
Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lankan Govt. Also suggestions, never proven to my satisfaction, that Israelis at points trained the Tigers.

In the mid 80s, when India was still leaning left, they allowed the Tigers to set up training camps in the south of the country and the claim is Israeli advisors were brought in to provide 'deniable' training for the LTTE.

I'd be very surprised if the war is now over. The Tigers will just back underground and fight an insurgency.

They key player is Colonel Karuna. If he feels the SL Govt haven't been fair in their dealings with him, he could very easily go back to war.

His defection 18 months ago is the only reason the LTTE rump have been defeated in this battle.

Also, Tigers claiming Prabhakaran actually not killed. They tend not to bullshit about this stuff, but who knows.

bit_pattern

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 6, 2008
Mosman
AFL Club
Collingwood
So...you've got nothing?

No, I just question the point of arguing against such vacuous idiocy.

But since you asked...

Virtually every organisation and activist that lobbies on the behalf of human rights victims are what you would probably define in your loose generalisation of "the left".

Take Amnesty for instance, an organisation that is often attacked for its perceived "left" bias, who the **** do you think is at the coal face exposing killings and other HR abuses other than Amnesty?

And who do you think was exposing the abuses of Saddam back twenty years ago when he was slaughtering urds while Donald Rumsfeld shook his hand and lauded his regime? The Left.

Who do you think was on the case when our ally Turkey was secretly massacring hudreds of thousands of Kurds during the 90's. The Left.

Who is it that is keeping on the back of western governments that support Burma and Thailand even as they massacre the Karen? The Left.

Who is it that have kept the pressure up against the Chinese to stop them killing Tibetans? The Left.

I could go on all night... When was the last time The Right championed human rights in anywhere other than the Muslim world? Instances are few and far between.

Karl Pilkington

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
They financed a war against themselves?

That's weird. You were the one who just asserted it. :eek:

Nah mate, you misread his posts.

His first one says that Sri Lankan government forces were trained by Israeli's. At a cost to the SL government (following your question).

He then says the Tamils were also trained by the Israeli's, or so goes the rumour.

Back