FTA-TV Why not assign commentators to particular teams instead of broadcast slots?

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've had an idea.

To me I think a lot of the issues around the quality of tv network commentary stem from the shallow analysis of players, teams and tactics that the commentators spew from their mouths each week.

In short- all the commentators sound like dummies, and try and hide their ignorance behind a barrage of useless factoids/stats, inane self referencing banter, faux excitement/drama and emphasis on players 'personalities', not their footballing.

I'm prepared to give the commentary group a break though- what is being asked of them is too much.

There are 800+ current players on AFL lists, 200+ games a year and 18 teams all with their own nuanced gameplans, styles, challenges and histories.

No wonder the commentators provide shallow analysis and revert to talking about themselves more than the game- being across ALL that in any level of depth is simply not possible.

They are flat out just simply learning all the players names and numbers each year- they don't have time to study game styles, strengths/weaknesses etc.
That's why we get nothing but garbage, shallow cliches about players and teams.

My solution to this is pretty simple:

Instead of the networks dividing the commentators up into groups like 'the friday night team', and the 'saturday arvo team' etc... they should instead assign each commentator a couple of teams that they call all year long.

This would allow them the time to learn more during preseason about particular teams beyond player names and numbers and what the star players favourite colour is, because they wont be required to memorise 18 clubs worth of players, only a couple.

Plus, because they will be watching the same couple of teams all year- they will inevitably be in a position to provide far more in depth, insightful analysis and commentary on those teams that they call.

The commentators are expected to be jacks of all trades- and the fact they are masters of none is where all the problems start.

Fix that and suddenly a lot (not all) of the garbage that comes from their mouths will be replaced by more interesting and insightful information.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I am a little surprised and it may happen as we have digital radios now that each side doesn't have their own broadcasters calling the games from the teams app or website.
Pregame talking to coaches and players etc as well as post game then call the game with a favoritism toward that team but not dumb over the top favoritism.
I could be wrong but did maybe Collingwood try their own radio station for games way back when?
Late 90's early 00's.
I know they did press red for Ed on Foxtel and I think KB did a Tigers game as well one day.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I think it was a great concept as well.
But I am sure not even Collingwood supporters could listen to a game called with such over the top bias every week.
I know I couldn't if it was Carlton.
As a novelty one off it was a great idea the way it was called but def not every match.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I am a little surprised and it may happen as we have digital radios now that each side doesn't have their own broadcasters calling the games from the teams app or website.
Pregame talking to coaches and players etc as well as post game then call the game with a favoritism toward that team but not dumb over the top favoritism.
I could be wrong but did maybe Collingwood try their own radio station for games way back when?
Late 90's early 00's.
I know they did press red for Ed on Foxtel and I think KB did a Tigers game as well one day.
It's called Krock and it's great

Would really only work under a single telecaster or single production feed controlled by a rights holder who'd then sell that to networks as part of a rights package.
I see this as the future of the broadcast anyway. AFL produces all the games and can maximise money by opening up who can bid on the product. Ch10, amazon, optus sport don't want to pay and organise production, they want a finished product they can buy. If the AFL did it themselves, then they could sell a finished product and increase competition which means more money (and more profit if you include the costs of production into the rights costs to the AFL)

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's called Krock and it's great

I see this as the future of the broadcast anyway. AFL produces all the games and can maximise money by opening up who can bid on the product. Ch10, amazon, optus sport don't want to pay and organise production, they want a finished product they can buy. If the AFL did it themselves, then they could sell a finished product and increase competition which means more money (and more profit if you include the costs of production into the rights costs to the AFL)
Only problem there would be the complete lack of coverage on anything negative towards head office. I guess it’s pretty much that way now anyway though.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Only problem there would be the complete lack of coverage on anything negative towards head office. I guess it’s pretty much that way now anyway though.
Like now? Nothing would change there.

Plus they're commentators for the game, doesn't stop Ch7/9/10 doing their own pre-show or post-show with criticism of head office if they wanted to.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I think it was a great concept as well.
But I am sure not even Collingwood supporters could listen to a game called with such over the top bias every week.
I know I couldn't if it was Carlton.
As a novelty one off it was a great idea the way it was called but def not every match.

Didn't Carlton have a similar version when 10 had the broadcast rights? Tim Lane, Robert Walls and Andy Maher

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Wouldn't want to see commentators get more matey with any teams than they already are.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I would have agreed with you had the AFL not been looking to do it several years ago then abandoned it as an idea in 2017. I don't think there's the appetite to do it now. This was the giveaway back in 2017.
2017 was well before streaming was a major player in the market. Tech moves fast. I don't think it will happen now until the broadcast deal after the next (which might see someone like amazon take a FTA feed worldwide), but we shall see.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
How about none of the campaigners at all?
Just the game, just the crowd.
You want an increase ratings, watch em soar muthafukkers.
And save millions in salaries to a bunch of useless flogs.
This aint negotiating peace in the middle east...
Who is running this media s**t show?

Back