Why penalties relating to concussions can be unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The way the game is heading, the AFL is trying to minimise the risks of concussions and the dreaded potential long-term impacts. Of course this is a serious issue, but I would like to discuss that it can be unfair on the players being penalised for causing concussions, particularly the players who have no intent to cause concussions with their bumps/tackles.

First of all, what is a concussion?
- when the brain is traumatised either by direct forces to the head, or indirect forces in sudden head jolts (eg. in whiplash).
- from the trauma impact, it then causes the brain to become temporarily dysfunctional with a combination of common symptoms such as drowsiness, unsteady gait, weakness, erratic speech patterns, poor memory/concentration, headache, insomnia.
- the effects of concussion varies depending on the site of trauma, the severity of the blow, as well as the indiviudal's brain resilience to such trauma.

So back to the main point, why judging purely on concussions as a guide for the severity of the penalty, is unfair:
- a smaller player would more likely be concussed against a bigger/more powerful opponent or vice versa.
- depending on whether an incident happens in the 1st quarter (players usually are at maximal game strength, and are more likely to be able to cope with body/head blows) or the 4th quarter (players have usually ran out of "gas" and brain functioning would be much less than in the first quarter)
- depends if the injured player had a good sleep or poor sleep the night before the game (the brain functions optimally when it gets good sleep and therefore more resilient to becoming concussed)
- depends if the player has a current virus or recovering from recent virus (more likely to feel drowsy prior to being concussed, or the effects of concussion might become magnified).

Concussions can be serious, make no mistake. Though I feel at times the perpetrators of the concussions need to be assessed depending on who their opponents are and other varying factors. Further thoughts?

Sounds like thinly veiled I feel for Tex post.
I expected this comment...but..no, it's been brewing inside my head for the past few months now.
The game, whilst being attentive to the concussed, are being unfair towards the players causing the blows. This is how I truly feel about where it's heading.

Completely agree.

The problem is everyone knows they can’t argue against concussion because concussion. It’ll hurt their reputation, so they all agree uncomfortably with it.

Completely agree.

The problem is everyone knows they can’t argue against concussion because concussion. It’ll hurt their reputation, so they all agree uncomfortably with it.
If we 100% dead set worry about concussion, we might as well make it a non-contact sport. Eliminate the bumps/tackles, and eliminate the high flying marks because technically, all of these can involve incidental contact of the head and/or concussions.

The way the game is heading, the AFL is trying to minimise the risks of concussions and the dreaded potential long-term impacts. Of course this is a serious issue, but I would like to discuss that it can be unfair on the players being penalised for causing concussions, particularly the players who have no intent to cause concussions with their bumps/tackles.

First of all, what is a concussion?
- when the brain is traumatised either by direct forces to the head, or indirect forces in sudden head jolts (eg. in whiplash).
- from the trauma impact, it then causes the brain to become temporarily dysfunctional with a combination of common symptoms such as drowsiness, unsteady gait, weakness, erratic speech patterns, poor memory/concentration, headache, insomnia.
- the effects of concussion varies depending on the site of trauma, the severity of the blow, as well as the indiviudal's brain resilience to such trauma.

So back to the main point, why judging purely on concussions as a guide for the severity of the penalty, is unfair:
- a smaller player would more likely be concussed against a bigger/more powerful opponent or vice versa.
- depending on whether an incident happens in the 1st quarter (players usually are at maximal game strength, and are more likely to be able to cope with body/head blows) or the 4th quarter (players have usually ran out of "gas" and brain functioning would be much less than in the first quarter)
- depends if the injured player had a good sleep or poor sleep the night before the game (the brain functions optimally when it gets good sleep and therefore more resilient to becoming concussed)
- depends if the player has a current virus or recovering from recent virus (more likely to feel drowsy prior to being concussed, or the effects of concussion might become magnified).

Concussions can be serious, make no mistake. Though I feel at times the perpetrators of the concussions need to be assessed depending on who their opponents are and other varying factors. Further thoughts?

why is the AFL going down this path? Labor has passed legislation meaning the directors of the AFL and the clubs are now CRIMINALLY LIABLE rather than civil.

If you were in their shoes, would you risk going to jail?

why is the AFL going down this path? Labor has passed legislation meaning the directors of the AFL and the clubs are now CRIMINALLY LIABLE rather than civil.

If you were in their shoes, would you risk going to jail?
If I was in their shoes I'd take a long hard look at myself and being definitive at what I really want:
- less concussions?
- maintaining the AFL tradition of bumps and contacts?

Because you can't have a contact sport and no bumps or incidental head knocks. It's an irrational equation!

If I was in their shoes I'd take a long hard look at myself and being definitive at what I really want:
- less concussions?
- maintaining the AFL tradition of bumps and contacts?

Because you can't have a contact sport and no bumps or incidental head knocks. It's an irrational equation!

if you're in their shoes the equation is:
- do I want to maintain the tradition of bumps and jail time
- do I want a wage and sweet retirement watching the tennis

if you're in their shoes the equation is:
- do I want to maintain the tradition of bumps and jail time
- do I want a wage and sweet retirement watching the tennis
I don't really want to go too deep with this argument because politics is just not really my thing.
I don't see how the AFL bosses can go to jail if someone gets a concussion on a footy field. What kind of contact sport has never had any significant leg/knee injuries or concussions? I'm struggling to think of one.

Agree. Last week we saw two tackles very similar against Swans players. Through sheer luck, neither hit their heads hard enough to be concussed. No free, not looked at. One tackle from a swans player with a very similar action. No concussion, free paid against for slinging action but again not sighted. Pretty sure the rules state the tackle is the illegal action not the outcome.

Agree. Last week we saw two tackles very similar against Swans players. Through sheer luck, neither hit their heads hard enough to be concussed. No free, not looked at. One tackle from a swans player with a very similar action. No concussion, free paid against for slinging action but again not sighted. Pretty sure the rules state the tackle is the illegal action not the outcome.
Thanks for the input. Basically this thread poses the question:
"How would you feel if a player from your team does an exact same motion, where 99% others get either a free for or against, nil suspensions; and your player is the 1% that gets a 1-2 weeks suspension?"

I don't really want to go too deep with this argument because politics is just not really my thing.
I don't see how the AFL bosses can go to jail if someone gets a concussion on a footy field. What kind of contact sport has never had any significant leg/knee injuries or concussions? I'm struggling to think of one.

Sadly legislation is driving change

Sadly legislation is driving change
Can we ever rid of concussion in a boxing match? Legislation all they want, sport is sport, and nothing is ever guaranteed in sport

I'm all for being aware of concussion on a footy field. My beef really is that rules are seemingly added on a weekly basis, and suspensions are happening on the fly. It might be for the betterment of concussion, but it might become to the detriment of the game or the detriment of the players involved, resulting in suspensions where there are zero intent (to cause concussion).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another variable is the ground factor:
- harder surfaces, harder blow to the head, increase risk of concussion
- softer surfaces, less risk of concussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back