Strategy Why take Will Ashcroft with the first pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never understood people's reluctance to making club's pay premium for father/sons NGAs, zone picks, etc

If this is a top end talent that a rival club is getting for cheap, it's borderline your responsibility to make it as difficult as possible.

If Will Ashcroft, Nic Daicos, JUH, etc are the top talents available, then make sure the club getting them is paying a top talent price.

I've never understood people's reluctance to making club's pay premium for father/sons NGAs, zone picks, etc

If this is a top end talent that a rival club is getting for cheap, it's borderline your responsibility to make it as difficult as possible.

If Will Ashcroft, Nic Daicos, JUH, etc are the top talents available, then make sure the club getting them is paying a top talent price.

I suspect in a few of these situations, there are other factors at play that make it more beneficial for clubs to not put in early bids (favourable pick trades, not having their own players bid on etc). These factors would directly benefit to the teams not bidding as opposed to just making teams pay up.

I hope GWS bid on Ashcroft.

Putting aside the fact he is the best player in the draft pool, Cadman is going to take longer to develop and could do without the additional scrutiny and expectation that is going to be heaped upon him.

Surely players also understand the decision to initially bypass them if there are better prospect ahead of them.

Putting aside the fact he is the best player in the draft pool, Cadman is going to take longer to develop and could do without the additional scrutiny and expectation that is going to be heaped upon him.

Surely players also understand the decision to initially bypass them if there are better prospect ahead of them.
Besides which, it seems clear that Ashcroft is the best prospect in the draft and thus he should be bid on.

I suspect in a few of these situations, there are other factors at play that make it more beneficial for clubs to not put in early bids (favourable pick trades, not having their own players bid on etc). These factors would directly benefit to the teams not bidding as opposed to just making teams pay up.
For me, all those reasons fall behind "make premiership rivals pay top price for top talent".

It's a competitive game, Ashcroft is consensus best player in the draft, Brisbane are getting a 20% discount on the best player in the draft, make them pay.

I want to see Brisbane's six picks disappear at one go! They currently only have enough points for Ashcroft, none for Fletcher if Ashcroft gets bid at pick 1.

Also takes the pick 1 pressure off the player you do select
Also means that if they match Fletcher as a R1 pick and the Lions can't cover that pick with points then it impacts on their F1st. So whilst there's no direct benefit for the Giants in this draft, there might be benefits next year or the following year.

Also means that if they match Fletcher as a R1 pick and the Lions can't cover that pick with points then it impacts on their F1st. So whilst there's no direct benefit for the Giants in this draft, there might be benefits next year or the following year.

Our future first round pick is with the Dogs, so the deficit will come off our later picks. We're likely going into deficit next year anyway, so the likely benefit to GWS next year is that their third round pick may move up a slot or two.

Our future first round pick is with the Dogs, so the deficit will come off our later picks. We're likely going into deficit next year anyway, so the likely benefit to GWS next year is that their third round pick may move up a slot or two.
Thx for that - wasn't sure if the deficit came off the F1st (if that's where the deficit is incurred) regardless of year, e.g., if you trade your '23 1st rounder, it comes off your '24 1st rounder

100% agree i mean look how many number 1 KPFs have flopped
JUH jury still out
Paddy McCartin shimmied down back after retiring and is playing the easiest role in football
Tom Boyd
Jon Patton
Jack Watts

Only success was Nroo

Though GWS won't directly benefit from that this year since their first five picks are before our first pick. They may benefit in a small way in next year's draft I guess (a third rounder moves up one spot or something.

GWS don't get a pick in the mid 30s. They'd just get the next pick. So if they bid on Ashcroft with pick 1 and Brisbane match, they'd just get to pick again at pick 2. No other additional picks are given as direct compensation.

The counter to your point re giving your player the confidence of going no. 1 is that you also give them the pressure of being no. 1 (see JHF this year, Boyd in the past etc.).
So Brisbane just have to give up the points to match the bid, they don't get transferred to the other club as compensation.

In other words, by selecting Ashcroft, GWS are just forcing Brisbane to forfeit a late pick or picks, depending on points value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a Key Defender is the easiest role in football?
You get led the football you just have to follow a bloke around not make things happen

So Brisbane just have to give up the points to match the bid, they don't get transferred to the other club as compensation.

In other words, by selecting Ashcroft, GWS are just forcing Brisbane to forfeit a late pick or picks, depending on points value.

Correct. If Brisbane don't have the picks this year, they will lose/drop back picks next year, but GWS do not get the picks Brisbane lose.

Wonder if they will chicken out like Daicos last year, Collingwood got away with murder
Not sure about that. GWS had said that they don't believe in bidding on a player they are not looking to fill a position to force another club to use points. They were wanting a key position player and so they bid on Darcy. I doubt they were afraid of Collingwood.

So, if they continue with that, I would think they won't bid on Ashcroft and go for Cadman (assuming they are still looking for a key position player).
North will most likely bid on Ashcroft.

Clubs pay for matched bid picks with swathes of 2nd, 3rd round picks, the earlier they have to match a bid, the more points they have to pay, the more picks are required and the more the drafting position of every other club is improved.

These guys at the top of the tree are competitive individuals. If they don't want to be number 1 they should go and play tiddlywinks. Have you ever gone for a job and been offered the job with the boss saying you were not our choice but you'll do. No one in life should accept to be bypassed and be second choice. Anyone that accepts that you would not want them in your team. You certainly don't want them in the trenches with you.

These guys at the top of the tree are competitive individuals. If they don't want to be number 1 they should go and play tiddlywinks. Have you ever gone for a job and been offered the job with the boss saying you were not our choice but you'll do. No one in life should accept to be bypassed and be second choice. Anyone that accepts that you would not want them in your team. You certainly don't want them in the trenches with you.
So maybe Cadman should have been better?

There’s no benefit in patronising a player. It’s a competitive industry as it is, and players don’t hang their hats on their draft position in the long term. Reckon Thilthorpe is currently aggrieved he was taken second after the Crows bid on JUH at Pick 1?

There is a lot of benefit in shielding a player from being Pick 1 if they are likely to take longer to come on and could do without the immediate expectation to perform. This is why it’d be a smart move for GWS to remove that as a barrier and allow Cadman to develop without the unnecessary scrutiny and intrigue that comes with all first ND picks.

So maybe Cadman should have been better?

There’s no benefit in patronising a player. It’s a competitive industry as it is, and players don’t hang their hats on their draft position in the long term. Reckon Thilthorpe is currently aggrieved he was taken second after the Crows bid on JUH at Pick 1?

There is a lot of benefit in shielding a player from being Pick 1 if they are likely to take longer to come on and could do without the immediate expectation to perform. This is why it’d be a smart move for GWS to remove that as a barrier and allow Cadman to develop without the unnecessary scrutiny and intrigue that comes with all first ND picks.
Good on Cadman accepting protection from...what?. I prefer Ashcroft's attitude. "I want to be number one, bring on the pressure" and I like Brisbane's attitude "Yeah we'll take him at number one, we believe Ashcroft can handle it."

Why not reward the player you want with 1 the extra money and fame and show you care and value them higher?

So, yes, there's huge reason not to bid.

Pick 2 a completely different scenario.
Pick 1 gets $10k, pick 2 gets $5k. Absolute irrelevance. It's not like it's a $100k prize.

Nothing good comes from being known as the number 1 pick - if it's anything, it's a distraction. Make it someone else's issue, PLUS make them pay the true price for their player. It's enough of a ridiculous advantage getting a 20% discount, you shouldn't throw a competitor more of an advantage by letting them pay less than market rates.

What a lot of crap - Petracca goes ok being taken after Melbourne bid on Heeney at pick 2

You should make the other club pay fair price, FFS, it's already discounted by 20%! Let them get their player even cheaper means they have more picks to use elsewhere or next draft. Could just be the player that edges them past you in a big final or even a GF! You missed the flag because you let Brisbane off really cheap.

It's a cut throat industry, don't give a competitor an easy break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back