Not open for further replies.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Not sure where to post- but has there always been such a perceived hatred of Geelong as there is today? Coach is despised, the captain is bombarded with criticism about his perceived ducking, the face of the AFL and best player in the game is thought of as an arrogant so and so, our supporters and president whinge and moan, and apparently it’s geelongs fault there was a jumper clash on Friday even though it wa out “home game”?!! What gives? I have a thick skin but the amount of Geelong hate is quite surprising tbh...

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure where to post- but has there always been such a perceived hatred of Geelong as there is today? Coach is despised, the captain is bombarded with criticism about his perceived ducking, the face of the AFL and best player in the game is thought of as an arrogant so and so, our supporters and president whinge and moan, and apparently it’s geelongs fault there was a jumper clash on Friday even though it wa out “home game”?!! What gives? I have a thick skin but the amount of Geelong hate is quite surprising tbh...
I don’t mind other clubs/media despising us but when our own supporters are turning on the coach and players it shows the problems we have at the club.

It’s not as well run as we like to believe it is.

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Who here is bashing captain Selwood? On this board? Comments that he may be cooked are hardly hate and backed up by comparitive poor form. I thought he was carrying an injury, so I'm not in that camp.

But like a few, I was bewildered and disappointed and pissed off about the late ruck change. s**t! Nearly everyone was. Robbed us of a chance to win it. imo. Footy is a passionate game. Do that and supporters will act up! lol

The coach's response just made it worse.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Who here is bashing captain Selwood? On this board? Comments that he may be cooked are hardly hate and backed up by comparitive poor form. I thought he was carrying an injury, so I'm not in that camp.

But like a few, I was bewildered and disappointed and pi**ed off about the late ruck change. s**t! Nearly everyone was. Robbed us of a chance to win it. imo. Footy is a passionate game. Do that and supporters will act up! lol

The coach's response just made it worse.

No I meant from other clubs. If you speak to anyone with half a brain they will say Selwood is a champion, but the majority, which is actually frightening have so much hate for him, constantly called a duck, cheat etc

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
They hate our coach as he is always sooking and dangerfield as he is a flog. Pretty simple i would have thought

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There is only one thing worse than being hated as a club..considered a finger flick , a dust blow , a club thats really just there to build others records against.

So I have no problem if others want to hate us... what we have to do is to poke the bears.. to give plenty fuel to the fire , to ensure they have good reason to hate us because we have inflicted plenty of pain.

I think there is a few clubs who wich they took our stance and stayed at there home griound rather than chasing cash at Marvel and the G.

Success brews hate outside of the club.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I think mostly due to Scott (and the club) whinging about where finals are played - which started after the Qualifying Final in 2017. Both the perception of the club and opinion from outside were no worse than anyone else before then. Scott's mounting finals record doesn't help. I think some opposition fans definitely think Dangerfield is selfish and full of himself, and from some games (and one idiotic press conference) it's not entirely without foundation. I don't think the way Selwood plays is the problem per se, but in recent years he seems to complain to the umpires a lot more than he used to. It's never a good look.

I think also after Friday night a few opposition fans can smell blood, particularly if West Coast beat us. The nature of sport. If a team is "up" for a long time (although in reality our last genuine success was eight years ago) fans get sick of you. Happened with Hawthorn, Brisbane, and eventually us. Just part of footy.

Last edited:
Enjoy it. They hate Geelong because of success. In Australia if you're better off than someone else in any regarding, and Geelong is better off than most clubs over the past few decades, then you aren't allowed to complain and even if everything goes against you, you're supposed to 'shut up and take your medicine'

Everyone hated Carlton and Essendon in the 80s and 90s but now many don't care because they have been s**t for ages, just wait until they're good again (if ever) and you'll see it isn't just us.

Success breeds hate Hawks have samething, with best part of 15 years playing finals and lets be honest we have really beaten up some teams over that time..

This. Saw/ noticed a massive shift from "aaww Geelong are my second team, i love Geelong!" to "* you guys- home final?? Sif you deserve that!" when we started winning flags. I reckon from flag no2.

Enjoy it. They hate Geelong because of success. In Australia if you're better off than someone else in any regarding, and Geelong is better off than most clubs over the past few decades, then you aren't allowed to complain and even if everything goes against you, you're supposed to 'shut up and take your medicine'

Everyone hated Carlton and Essendon in the 80s and 90s but now many don't care because they have been s**t for ages, just wait until they're good again (if ever) and you'll see it isn't just us.

Lol says who?! I still hate Essendon as much as ever. (kinda indifferent to Carlton)

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to chime in here because I am new to this hating Geelong thing and I would like to give my perspective, firstly the Kelly trade left a bitter taste in my mouth due to how hard ball your administration was but then along come this year and the bragging mid season was the final straw...I'm now fully in hate "Hate Geelong" camp.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Its nothing to do with our coach or Selwood or danger-that’s just the excuse people use to try and justify their bitterness.
It’s because we have been up there for a long time and it’s also because in this long period of success, significantly, we’ve have had so many team’s numbers. Even though the hawks and swans have also been successful for long time, they haven’t beaten teams as consistently as we have. There are heaps of teams who have had very few wins against us in the past 15 years, and they can’t abide us for that. It’s that simple.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd like to chime in here because I am new to this hating Geelong thing and I would like to give my perspective, firstly the Kelly trade left a bitter taste in my mouth due to how hard ball your administration was but then along come this year and the bragging mid season was the final straw...I'm now fully in hate "Hate Geelong" camp.
Congrats knobhead.

Don't blame your club not paying fair value, and wanting kelly on the cheap. Just blame geelong for wanting fair trade value. Clown.

I hope Kelly ends up at Freo so all the west coast meth heads cry like little girls with a skinned knee.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol. Pity your team overlooked him for so many years.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Congrats knobhead.

Don't blame your club not paying fair value, and wanting kelly on the cheap. Just blame geelong for wanting fair trade value. Clown.

I hope Kelly ends up at Freo so all the west coast meth heads cry like little girls with a skinned knee.
Its a well known fact West coast are fair traders, we offered all we could give and it still wasn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back