List Mgmt. Why the Late Change of Choice for Pick 5 in 2014 Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this Interesting:

Was listening to Peter Wright's u18 coach at Calder this morning. He mentioned he was shocked the Pies didn't take him in the draft. We were right into him and were supposed to pick him up, but last minute changed to a mid. They mentioned Wright and Moore would be hard to stop in CHF and FF once they developed.

That is what I thought would Happen.

So IF True. What would made us Change our Mind? Moore saying he really wanted us to Draft De Goey

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=80273&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

De Goey will produce more with more centre square minutes and I'm not unhappy with the selection. That said the majority of star KP players were selected early in the draft and it's rare to have that opportunity. Will probably never know if it were a needs based selection after losing Beams or if we just rated De Goey higher.

Nah, leave it as it was.
Will do very nicely indeed.

A couple of theories ...

(1) DeGoey was part of the Oakleigh Chargers 2014 TAC Cup Premiership. Collingwood are a club that is hungry for success, so a player who has had a taste for it and know what it means (even at junior level) would get an extra tick next to their name.

(2) Hine seems to take a holistic approach to recruiting. Maybe he reckons that recruiting players who know each other helps with them settling into the club? We had already effectively recruited Moore at that stage through the F/S process, recruiting somebody Moore was familiar with (Moore and DeGoey played together at Oakleigh Chargers) might help both players settle in. Of course you don't need to burn a pick five just to acquire a companion pony. But it might have entered calculations. We've seen this practice many times at Collingwood: Grundy + Kennedy (+ to a lesser extent Broomhead); Phillips + Crocker; Treloar + Golds. It might have even been a factor with Aish + Scharenberg.

Last edited:
De Goey showed plenty last year when he played more inside and all of us watched him won inside ball by himself and a clean handball to get the clearance.
I do agree the De Goey does not improve a lot this year, but it is too early to call De Goey will not be better than Wright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Annoys me how particular people on here take pot shots at DeGoey and Maynard. They are only 2nd year players ffs.
This board has become a place where young players are immune from criticism.

I really don't think they would have been keen on taking a player that had come back after a knee reco, especially after Shaz.

It was a risk, but he was a top 5 pick prior to his injury and his attitude/leadership is first class... plus he plays a position we desperately need some young talent in.

I'm not saying De Goey will be a bad player, he should end up quite good, but I think it's a poor choice to take a midfielder with "potential" over a largely proven Key-Position junior star like Wright or Lever

A couple of theories ...

(1) DeGoey was part of the Oakleigh Chargers 2014 TAC Cup Premiership. For a club who is hungry for success, a player who has had a taste for it and know what it means (even at junior level) would get an extra tick next to their name.

(2) Hine seems to take a Holistic approach to recruiting. Maybe he reckons that recruiting players who know each other helps with them settling into the club. We had already effectively recruited Moore at that stage through the F/S process, recruiting somebody Moore was familiar with (Moore and DeGoey played together at Oakleigh Chargers) might help both players settle in. Of course you don't need to burn a pick five just to acquire a companion pony. But it might have entered calculations. We've seen this practice many times at Collingwood - Grundy + Kennedy (+ to a lesser extent Broomhead); Phillips + Crocker; Treloar + Golds. It might have even been a factor with Aish + Scharenberg.

1 could be a Reason but I think there will valid reason for Number 2.

As all the Examples you shows that Hine does seem to like to Draft more then 1 Prospect from a Team. Could mean De Goey is less chance to leave of having a TeamMate and Good Mates with Moore.

I think some posters will be embarrassed in a few years if this thread gets bumped.

I never said De Goey is a Dud. I just saying Wright would been the Better Fit then De Goey was

It was a risk, but he was a top 5 pick prior to his injury and his attitude/leadership is first class... plus he plays a position we desperately need some young talent in.

I'm not saying De Goey will be a bad player, he should end up quite good, but I think it's a poor choice to take a midfielder with "potential" over a largely proven Key-Position junior star like Wright or Lever
It's easy to get blind sided by these type of scenarios when players form is fluctuating. It really is something to look over in a couple of years time. DeGoey is probably finding it tough right now but I've got no doubt in my mind players like Lever and Wright are probably going to go through the same thing because at the end of the day they are young kids.

DeGoey was drafted because he was a high level of character and probably was more of a safe bet. Lever had his knee and Wright had big question marks over whether he was going to be a forward or a ruck. Plus he had a poor championship carnival. It's an interesting discussion that's for sure.

There's still a long way to go in terms of both players development, lets just wait and see what happens in a few years time. What if De Goey turns out to be an A grade gun?

Im one of the ones who believe De Goey is played out of position, he should be in the guts, right in the thick of it.

He was played in the guts for quite a while this year and didn't get near it. When he did, he butchered the pill. I worry about our young De Goey.

I think some posters will be embarrassed in a few years if this thread gets bumped.
That's like saying people will be embarrassed if Buckley coaches us into the top four next year. You judge a footballer or coach on what they are dishing up on a consistent basis in any given season. De Goey has been poor. That doesn't mean he can't improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back