Expansion Why the National comp can never be national

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If this Saturday we can avoid the absolute reaming from the umpires that Sydney copped in last year's Grand Final then you can have as many teams in Victoria as you like and we'll never mention the whole thing ever again.

Otherwise North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda ship off to Tasmania.

Deal?

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just can't see why North Melbourne even exist. They just shouldn't be a thing. There is no reason for them. Should have been merged with Footscray eons ago.

It's actually really simple. In 1869 they started a football club. Enough people love it to stop morons like you trying to kill it and have for 148 years.

Hence here we are.

Any other simple things you don't understand?

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Melbourne has only ever had 1 300 game player in its 150 year existence so your theory is incorrect.
That's because anyone good from there goes to a decent club top finish off their career with some success :)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I would follow a WA state side no problems at all, I can still remember before the WCE come into the competition I just followed South Fremantle and watched about 4 VFL teams that had WA boys in them. If the Eagles and Freo merged back into the WAFL and we had a super team in a super league you would unite the whole state which would be good for the game. The talent now is too confined to a couple of teams like GWS and most clubs don't bat deep anymore so I think personally the quality of the game has taken a step backwards.
You might go follow, many wouldn't. WC has a lot of rusted on supporters. I know I'd follow my team where ever it goes - there's too much history for me to ignore

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
You might go follow, many wouldn't. WC has a lot of rusted on supporters. I know I'd follow my team where ever it goes - there's too much history for me to ignore
A lot of our supporters are old and rusty now, the time has come for a super league. Too much bias now and financial meddling for it to be anything other than the WWE with a ball.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
A lot of our supporters are old and rusty now, the time has come for a super league. Too much bias now and financial meddling for it to be anything other than the WWE with a ball.
I get your idea but you'll need people to follow it, fork out their hard earned and I'm not confident the bulk of supporters would for a brand new unknown. If for instance we had a choice between a new super league and the current AFL or even a return to the state leagues you'd argue that the overwhelming majority would choose the current or state leagues - because that's where their clubs are

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I get your idea but you'll need people to follow it, fork out their hard earned and I'm not confident the bulk of supporters would for a brand new unknown. If for instance we had a choice between a new super league and the current AFL or even a return to the state leagues you'd argue that the overwhelming majority would choose the current or state leagues - because that's where their clubs are
I never like T20 cricket and resisted it for years being a hard core test cricket man, this current version of the Big Bash is the future of sport. The way it is marketed and unites a state is impressive and the way it is kind of decentralized is what made me convert. Give the game to the fans who don't want to have to put up with this conceited poo the AFL try hard to dish up to us. I can see easily the Magpies being a team in the new Super League as West Coast, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Richmond would all get to keep their current identities.

The key is to engage the fan...not enrage them.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I know, relax - wasn't having a crack at you
Cheers. Hard to tell in text format.

My main point is that I'm paranoid about copping the same treatment or worse that Sydney got in last year's Grand Final. It sucks that it is even a consideration.

In all seriousness I love the tradition of the old Victorian clubs. It's what I feel for my local SANFL team Sturt, except you've had the opportunity to take it to the big stage. I love seeing the displays of loyalty for Carlton along Lygon Street, for the Dogs out in Footscray, for the Tiges around Punt Road, and on it goes. It's beautiful and I hope we never lose it. I just wish it felt more like a national and neutral competition than it does.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

My main point is that I'm paranoid about copping the same treatment or worse that Sydney got in last year's Grand Final. It sucks that it is even a consideration.
FWIW, it won't be what gws dealt with as there won't be as many tiger fans this week and more neutral fans than the weekend. And the fact I think there'd be some sympathy for the crows given all they've been through in the last couple of years and the players leaving the club.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
FWIW, it won't be what gws dealt with as there won't be as many tiger fans this week and more neutral fans than the weekend. And the fact I think there'd be some sympathy for the crows given all they've been through in the last couple of years and the players leaving the club.
I really hope you're right mate. Has all the hallmarks of another "fairytale".

"Noise of affirmation" apparently isn't a concern when it's 90k Tigers supporters at the 'G. Only in Perth or Adelaide.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

FWIW you won't have to deal with the same as gws did. Sure a rabid tiger army is some mountain to climb but there won't be as many; add to that the nuetrals in your corner given the last couple of years with players leaving and the tragedy of 2015

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I just think they should just start a national completion & call it the AFL where the team that finishes on top & maintains it's top rating gets to play the Grand Final in their home state.

ezywalker

ezywalker
Oct 10, 2009
S.W Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
As a WC supporter I think the comp is fine. I do agree you with regards to the 300+ gamers, but is that really an issue? Sports science and recovery improves a little every year (especially the Bombers :p) . Fairness has improved and continues to. No longer locked into a stupid agreement that so many finals must be played at the G per w/end etc. Keep the G/F at the G. It's the home of football, it's pretty much neutral anyway come GF day with ticket issuing. It was all very different back in 1997..

DERIBERATE

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds, Bohemians
Life isn't fair. Get over it.
That's correct, life isn't fair. We should stop pretending it is, and punishing whoever we can to try and force it. So, no more drafts, salary caps or handouts. You can be St Kilda - 1 premiership in a century, no fans and no money, and you can compete with us on a level playing field. And when your club is dead and buried the administrators can flog your cup off on ebay to pay for a memorial service. Because life isn't fair.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I just think they should just start a national completion & call it the AFL where the team that finishes on top & maintains it's top rating gets to play the Grand Final in their home state.
But it won't have any paying supporters or members, would you leave sydney and follow a new team in a new comp? I know the vast majority wouldn't, certainly not me

Paratus78

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's correct, life isn't fair. We should stop pretending it is, and punishing whoever we can to try and force it. So, no more drafts, salary caps or handouts. You can be St Kilda - 1 premiership in a century, no fans and no money, and you can compete with us on a level playing field. And when your club is dead and buried the administrators can flog your cup off on ebay to pay for a memorial service. Because life isn't fair.
Triggered much?

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Its really only a six-eight team comp anyway.
Why not two divisions with relegation

I know nobody like it but you would keep all the clubs and event the destitute could play finals

Back