Why the pies will NOT win the flag this year

Remove this Banner Ad

I have got to agree. Collingwood are not going to win the flag this year. Maxwell is a s**t captain and is lucky to be making the team. Collingwood would benefit so much if they dropped maxwell as they would have such a better team. They think because he is captain he will make the team but let's be honest he is so s**t!!!!!! Collingwood are so stupid for letting bucks be coach as they will now just be going down hill. Collingwood for the wooden spoon.

I highly doubt that, but if anyone new anything about winning spoons recently it would be your mob....

I have got to agree. Collingwood are not going to win the flag this year. Maxwell is a s**t captain and is lucky to be making the team. Collingwood would benefit so much if they dropped maxwell as they would have such a better team. They think because he is captain he will make the team but let's be honest he is so s**t!!!!!! Collingwood are so stupid for letting bucks be coach as they will now just be going down hill. Collingwood for the wooden spoon.

I give that 2/10. Work on your eloquence.

Last year Geelong lost Ablett and Head Coach plus Brendon Mcartney and iirc our top fitness coach and still won..

This year we lost Mooney, Ling, Ottens and Milburn. We have injuries too in Varcoe, Simpson, Vardy, Wojo? and Menzel. (may have missed one or two)

Have a ruck that is untried at AFL Level, and yes while this team is younger then last year.. Scarlett, Enright, Corey and Chappy are in there last couple of years if not this year...

I wouldn't put it like that - West, Simpson and Vardy have all played senior football. Stephenson obviously hasn't played a game but that's about to change.

Inexperienced definitely. The three I've mentioned have all shown good signs at senior level so they aren't out of their depth. Either way it's a good test for them.

It does look like a shoddy photo. It's extremely cropped, and why is the text in reverse?

I took the photo on my MAC and that was the best i could get, if your that desperate for me to prove that i am a pies supporter i will take another photo on the upcoming days!

I think we are fine in this department. Maxwell is a premiership winning captain, and some of his 1%'s on the field are crucial at times. He is not blessed with ability, as Buckley has stated in the past, but he fights as hard as anyone and this filters through the playing group. I've always said Heath Shaw has a tremendous amount of potential as a leader and if it weren't for a few major stuff ups on the field, he would be our vice captain right now with Pendlebury and perhaps Ball. We have leaders in all areas of the ground, whether it be Cloke up forward or Ball in the middle. I think we are doing quite well in this department.

We have lost Davis, Brown and Krakouer from last year. That's it. All three can be replaced, there is no doubt about that but it will take a bit of development through the early rounds. Who would have expected Geelong would win the premiership after losing Ablett to the GC? The pre season is totally irrelevant once the good stuff starts.

Rubbish. You are worried about losing Mark Neeld, a great 'midfield' coach as you said. He was the backline coach until 2010 so he absolutely nothing to do with the development of Pendlebury, Thomas, etc. Thomas had his breakout year in 2010, which has often been credited to Mick and the faith he had early in his career. Luke Ball came across as a ready made player from the Saints in 2010 and made an influence almost instantly. And a critical part of our success in 2010 came from forward pressure and the press. Oh and who was the forward coach in 2010? Yet you are quick to praise Mark Neeld, but are already writing of Buckley as a coach.

If you are writing a side off based on NAB Cup form, then you may as well write of Geelong, Carlton, and any other side that struggled. I'm more focused on our form heading into the back end of the season as compared to Rounds 1-10. We started off like a house on fire last year, but fatigue and little niggles heading into the finals didnt help. As Mick said, the season is a marathon, not a sprint and we were sprinting for most of last year. Like someone said earlier in the thread, we will be patchy early on in the year but expect us to come home hot just like 2010.

I'm not saying we will win the flag, but to say we WONT, based on the reasons you gave, makes it all rather ridiculous.

Let me start off by saying you raised some really good points and counter arguments. I have to say in terms off your paragraph on leadership, no person in the general society who is not directly involved with the club cannot comment on his leadership skills and i also admit i am in the wrong if i have ever questioned his skills as a leader. Secondly when you say "it will take a bit of development through the early rounds" when exclaiming your point abount lost players, i have to disagree with you. The Pre season is not irrevelant, losing players to injury during the pre season will effect the general fitness of the players. I think that you underestimate how good these players are. Davis was in our top 5 players last year and i think it will be such a long time until we get a player who played his role and can do it as good him. Brown was not the most consistent of players but worked really effectively in his role around the ground in various positions. Krakouer who kicked 35 goals in his first season for pies played extremely well. Also no mention of Macaffer :( I am not judging why they wont solely by Nab cup and just showed that there were important lessons to be learned whether they be the performance of players or Buckleys game plan.

a lot of pies supporters pulling the rag out for this one. Reality is harsh sometimes.
Listen if 1 of your (supporters) put up a post that only dealt in the negatives such as the op did here I wonder how long it would cats fans to come out firing,not long I would think at least the (loyal) ones anyway.

As for your 2nd comment about reality you only have to look at the cats prior
to last season where did you think the cats would finish I am betting it was not 1st,unless things go badly wrong we will be close when the whips are cracking.

i read the article, and you clearly don't know your stuff. every argument made was obviously wrong as pointed out by everyone else. You wrote an article 1500 words long on that, do you have a life? you say your a collingwood 'supporter' but clearly there's no support. Some points i can see from your point of view, but "pera" hit the nail on the head. You responded by saying "you raised some really good points" but you were practically admitting that you don't know anything. Go back to the drawing board joseph.

i read the article, and you clearly don't know your stuff. every argument made was obviously wrong as pointed out by everyone else. You wrote an article 1500 words long on that, do you have a life? you say your a collingwood 'supporter' but clearly there's no support. Some points i can see from your point of view, but "pera" hit the nail on the head. You responded by saying "you raised some really good points" but you were practically admitting that you don't know anything. Go back to the drawing board joseph.

I wish that for one stage people do not have to undermine other peoples opinion and just provide feedback and give there own opinion. You have clearly just projected some of your anger out to me. I have a passion for football and a passion for writing, yes it may not always be the best or it may not share the same opinion for you but theres no need for making comments like "you have no life". Your unintelligence profounds me as you cannot share to me some original ideas and arguments as you just simply took others. By the way it's good to acknowledge other peoples point of view because i believed that he had valuable arguments and i tend to agree with some of what he was saying. So listen mate, this is a public forum and we are free to say what we want BUT it still doesn't give you the right to act like an absolute jerk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win against the Saints on Friday (for those who take the preseason seriously, ie op)

Collingwoods preseason hasnt been too bad, a couple of injuries mostly to older players or fringe players, notwithstanding.

The assistant coaching changes were going to happen regardless of whether Malthouse of Buckely were in charge.

And theres nothing wrong with the leadership, which has lead the club to the last two grand finals.

Well, I think the OP is entitled to his opinion.
I have to say by the end of last season collingwood was fighting a defensive retreat. They were never going to beat Geelong (how many times have they beaten them in the last 4 years?)
What has happened at collingwood over the offseason that would improve them?
I hope they kick arse this year, but it is a big step from finishing top 4 to winning the GF.

Well, I think the OP is entitled to his opinion.
I have to say by the end of last season collingwood was fighting a defensive retreat. They were never going to beat Geelong (how many times have they beaten them in the last 4 years?)
What has happened at collingwood over the offseason that would improve them?
I hope they kick arse this year, but it is a big step from finishing top 4 to winning the GF.

Brown nearly back to playing and will be available this year

Younger stars at their peak nearly- Pendles, Cloke, Thomas, Reid

Expect Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham, Fasalo to improve and develop

Didak, Shaw placed for better seasons

Jolly and Maxwell had their 2011 impacted by injury are up and about with full preseasons

Brown nearly back to playing and will be available this year

Younger stars at their peak nearly- Pendles, Cloke, Thomas, Reid

Expect Sidebottom, Beams, Wellingham, Fasalo to improve and develop

Didak, Shaw placed for better seasons

Jolly and Maxwell had their 2011 impacted by injury are up and about with full preseasons

Im not so confident with how Jolly will perform this year. He is turning 31 this year and will retire within the coming years. His season was marred by injury last year and i'm not sure if he can get up to the same intensity as he did when playing for sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back