Strategy Why we got Hopper and Taranto?-my opinion from outside the loop

Remove this Banner Ad

Growapair

Club Legend
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally, I always thought that Liam McBean had a wonderful pair of calf muscles. Slender but strong.
I believe Markov did this run down the wing just to get a look at those calves. If you look closely, and you are very lucky, you might just see them glistening in the lights.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
The point of this thread is strategy, learn from it.

How can this scenario rhyme for Richmond in the future?

Now the reason, to me, we got Hopper and Taranto, apart from the leg work, identification etcc.. was simply a matter that Richmond did not have a lot of strength in bigger midfield types into the future. Simple as that.

Part of it would be to do with windows, part of it is to do with them being mates, but to me a lot of the carrot RFC could offer is inside bigger mids RFC lack significantly.

The only players that realistically could compete with Hopper and Taranto is Cotch and Dusty. Cotch is getting closer to father time and, lets face it, would prefer a chop out, and Dusty is happy like a pig rolling in the mud to be dancing in the forward line anyway.

So the bottom line, apart from being thereabouts in terms of premiership contention, Hopper and Taranto help address a weakness. Hopper and Taranto know, unless they stink like a skunk they are very highly likely to be almost guaranteed games and they is a strong likelihood their presence will make others around them better. If they are not welcomed we would be morons in this scenario. There is no BS, that simply is reality.

So what does this mean going forward??? i mean myself and others have been banging on about getting bigger mid chop outs for years. This no secret. Ely Smith and others mentioned at draft time, even Dunkley back in his draft, and Kennedy more recently. Finally, this has been addressed.

Now what does this mean going forward?? Well now some wish to bang on about the need to get KPF??? why given our record for not being able to develop them? How many misses can be included in this???

Currently with have JR, an all timer, and Lynch, a relatively good player who won our B&F and and on good coin. It is a good chance in five years time both will not be going strong. If Gibcus and Bauer do not work then, based on Hopper and Taranto, the chances of getting a gun forward via a trade could be high. If we are contending and that is the new weakness history might rhyme into the future based on our ability to attract Hopper and Taranto!!
The point of this thread is strategy, learn from it!!!

That's all I read and thought that is the most arrogant and condecending way to start a thread, * that. Did anyone get past this point?

Last edited:

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
The point of this thread is strategy, learn from it!!!

That's all I read and thought that is the most arrogant and condecending way to start a thread, * that. Did anyone get past this point?

Well allow me to retort.

In the title it read" Why we got Hopper and Taranto, my opinion from outside the loop" So there are two qualifications. One it is my opinion, meaning it is only a opinion, not fact etc.. and two I recognise I am outside the loop to draw context from.

Now, within this context the thread is about strategy. Strategy in the sense of future strategies that anybody may consider given what has transpired with the trading and so forth. When I write learn from it I am talking in the context of the trading which has transpired.

Apart from the fact in the title I mentioned it is only a opinion and I am outside the loop, I am not your father, I am not your mother, I am not your teacher, your lecturer, your anybody you think has any authority in your life. So when I write learn from it I am not dictating to a reader learn from the thread as a command! I am simply a poster who is not part of the cult, I am a thinker but I am not part of groupthink 1984 style, I am merely providing food for thought. Why would try and influence how people think? If we all thought the same what would be the point of dialogue. I post on here to support info to help Richmond win premierships. If we all thought the same why bother posting??

As I said I post to assist in anyway to help even indirectly any way RFC can get closer to win a premiership and even more later. The point is not to shape minds. The point is to enhance perspectives and info. Each person's decision making process is still their own for all posters and readers.

Now in terms of condescending, like this is a online forum, a reader/poster could be a bot and if human we are two ships passing in the night, what would be the incentive for anyone to try and be condescending?? In terms of grammar, as in the past, I can be loose in context. I roll loose with grammar because I wing it and my mind thinks ahead and there are disconnects with my fingers on the keyboard. My mind races with other thoughts as I type, it is how I am designed and as a thinker my mind is in overdrive all the time compared to my typing but the intent is always well intentioned so I feel I can be afforded a little benefit of the doubt regarded grammar as I prefer to focus on the footy content which is my passion.

So it is bout strategy, any strategy that can help RFC win more premierships going forward and if we learn in anyway how to win more premierships I think we have all succeeded

Last edited:

Growapair

Club Legend
May 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Well allow me to retort.

In the title it read" Why we got Hopper and Taranto, my opinion from outside the loop" So there are two qualifications. One it is my opinion, meaning it is only a opinion, not fact etc.. and two I recognise I am outside the loop to draw context from.

Now, within this context the thread is about strategy. Strategy in the sense of future strategies that anybody may consider given what has transpired with the trading and so forth. When I write learn from it I am talking in the context of the trading which has transpired.

Apart from the fact in the title I mentioned it is only a opinion and I am outside the loop, I am not your father, I am not your mother, I am not your teacher, your lecturer, your anybody you think has any authority in your life. So when I write learn from it I am not dictating to a reader learn from the thread as a command! I am simply a poster who is not part of the cult, I am a thinker but I am not part of groupthink 1984 style, I am merely providing food for thought. Why would try and influence how people think? If we all thought the same what would be the point of dialogue. I post on here to support info to help Richmond win premierships. If we all thought the same why bother posting??

As I said I post to assist in anyway to help even indirectly any way RFC can get closer to win a premiership and even more later. The point is not to shape minds. The point is to enhance perspectives and info. Each person's decision making process is still their own for all posters and readers.

Now in terms of condescending, like this is a online forum, a reader/poster could be a bot and if human we are two ships passing in the night, what would be the incentive for anyone to try and be condescending?? In terms of grammar, as in the past, I can be loose in context. I roll loose with grammar because I wing it and my mind thinks ahead and there are disconnects with my fingers on the keyboard. My mind races with other thoughts as I type, it is how I am designed and as a thinker my mind is in overdrive all the time compared to my typing but the intent is always well intentioned so I feel I can be afforded a little benefit of the doubt regarded grammar as I prefer to focus on the footy content which is my passion.

So it is bout strategy, any strategy that can help RFC win more premierships going forward and if we learn in anyway how to win more premierships I think we have all succeeded
Welcome Back Magic Man!

I post on here to support info to help Richmond win premierships.

As I said I post to assist in anyway to help even indirectly any way RFC can get closer to win a premiership and even more later.

Dude you dont understand how the internet works.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep don’t draft one. We are in win now mode and just need a few finishing touches to make a flag team for the next few years. I don’t think a pick 50+ KPF will be of any use to us anyway, don’t see him beating first round defenders in his draft class doesn’t matter how good we are at developing him.

I’m regards to Dunkley, how much was he in terms of picks and money? Don’t think we could’ve afforded him and another one of those mids right? I would prefer having 2 mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like the nba warriors we are win now but also introducing young players into the rotation.

If you can find one or two Mihocek, Chol, Larkey types it'd be a good way to round off a Taranto and hopper off season.

A decent tall would add to gibcus. Sonsie. Banks. Brown. Clarke. Rioli. Ryan. Bauer. Etc.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I am really excited about what Taranto and Hopper can bring to RFC.

Taranto is a guy that can generally switch with Dusty between CHF and centre in a real rotation.

Hopper is just a reliable inside mid with size we have not had recently apart from Cotch that can give us a contest we need. Provide input that improves Cotch, Prestia and others games as well making the team better.

I think the two's inclusion will be invaluable the way we can play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hop and Tarantula are exactly what we need to win the next premiership or 2.

They turn our poor contested midfield upside down. Imagine TT and Hop with Dion and Cotch, and then moments form Shai, Ross, Dusty etc.

In general why we lose game sis losing control of the contests. Other than that we are dominant. Analogy I've made before is we have a great race car, but with a dodgy engine. Fix the engine and we are racing fast. Don't fix the engine and the car cannot go fast sometimes (when Dion is injured).

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
The Hop and Tarantula are exactly what we need to win the next premiership or 2.

They turn our poor contested midfield upside down. Imagine TT and Hop with Dion and Cotch, and then moments form Shai, Ross, Dusty etc.

In general why we lose game sis losing control of the contests. Other than that we are dominant. Analogy I've made before is we have a great race car, but with a dodgy engine. Fix the engine and we are racing fast. Don't fix the engine and the car cannot go fast sometimes (when Dion is injured).

I think of it this way.

Imagine our back half with the ball with no Dusty, no Hopper, not Taranto to kick to.

Having these guys in the teams opens up our transition in the forward line. It easies the burden on our wings to by solidifying our central corridor and enhancing our half forward line. Our forward line can stretch out now with Dusty or Taranto at CHF with Lynch behind

It also means our defence do not need to focus on running out so much and they can defend on their men.

Having a outlet to kick to in Dusty and Taranto as well as Hopper should make a terrific difference

Our back half does not need to get distorted as much losing its shape from propelling the ball forward so regularly

Instead of sling shoting it from defence with our defence all the time our forward line can sling shot up the ground with our mids and grab it from defence with Taranto, Dusty, Hopper as well as the wings and others presenting as options. Our shape and structure can be so much stronger

The prospect of Dusty or Taranto or Hopper holding their ground, taking a mark centrally, creating presence and opening up the wings is truely salivating. The guys with the ball look forward and say, sorry Taranto in the centre, I like Dusty at CHF, or even Lynch even further back coming through. Riveting stuff

If your the opposition, who do you cover?? Taranto, Hopper, Dusty, watching out for Lynch coming up the ground, or even a Gibcus presenting off centre. Then McIntosh, Pickett and Bolton doing their things, it really could break the hearts of the opposition as the point of direction becomes so difficult to follow as they try and read our play.

Due to the mobility of Dusty, Hopper, Taranto, not to mention Cotch, Bolton, McIntosh and Picket it becomes quite a fluid set-up, while the likes of Prestia and Sonsie are still chasing the fall of the ball apart from link play. They could be twenty plus combinations to transfer the ball from back to the forward line or goal not including handball run which means our defence is that much stronger and robust especially with JR deep supporting Lynch drifting up the ground at times

Last edited:

Are you playing with MM.....?

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
hi-hello.gif

Are you playing with MM.....?

Not deliberately. I don't get the whole marking target thing. I just think that if it's very damn obvious then it's likely to be right. We got 2 top end mids because our midfield was weak. they are there to control the ball in contests. No exactly rocket surgery I would have thought ;)

but then what do I know?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Like the nba warriors we are win now but also introducing young players into the rotation.

If you can find one or two Mihocek, Chol, Larkey types it'd be a good way to round off a Taranto and hopper off season.

A decent tall would add to gibcus. Sonsie. Banks. Brown. Clarke. Rioli. Ryan. Bauer. Etc.

We are getting Himmelburg. Might as well make the Welcome to Tigers thread now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Barunga Bullet

The GOAT
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I am really excited about what Taranto and Hopper can bring to RFC.

Taranto is a guy that can generally switch with Dusty between CHF and centre in a real rotation.

Hopper is just a reliable inside mid with size we have not had recently apart from Cotch that can give us a contest we need. Provide input that improves Cotch, Prestia and others games as well making the team better.

I think the two's inclusion will be invaluable the way we can play
but but but I thought Hopper was worse than RCD and a bad move?

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
There is genius at play here. Maybe it's in the confounding misuse of words and phrases. As though he runs his posts through a thesaurus and replaces words at random with synonymous but not quite contextually accurate words that make reading his work like deciphering a really lazy code. Or, his posts that seem to go on forever and lead nowhere at the same time. Or, the suggestion and then stone-faced defense of the most ridiculously wild ideas that no one with a shred of self-awareness would put forth into a public realm. Bundle this with fleeting moments of lucidity where you're convinced there is a rational mind behind the madness. It all points to the work of a troll of rare and prodigious talent.
Mr Magic is Morpheus

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back