Why will we win ?

Remove this Banner Ad

ptw

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Everyone (perhaps including myself) do not rate Port as a chance for the flag.

But anything is possible.....

What would have to happen for Port to win the flag in 2001....

Here are my views:

1. We have 5 forwards who kick > 40 goals and 1 who kicks > 80. This is probably the most far fetched given our recent form.

2. Primus, Tredrea, Mead, Wanga's and Stevens all play > 20 games

3. Lloyd, Lucus, Hird etc get injured

4. 2 of our new recruits play > 15 games and one of them finishes top 2 in the Norwich award.

5. We kick twice as many goals as behinds.

6. We win 80% of games decided by less than 2 goals.

7. We win 50% of our games away from home.

Why we will finish last.....

1. Again, we have 1 forward who kicks > 30 goals.

2. Primus, Mead & Wangas don't play more than 12 games.

3. We sack Williams.

4. We win only 1 or 2 games away from SA, and lose the close ones at footy park.
I am sure there are more...

ptw

Originally posted by ptw:
Everyone (perhaps including myself) do not rate Port as a chance for the flag.

But anything is possible.....

What would have to happen for Port to win the flag in 2001....

Here are my views:

1. We have 5 forwards who kick > 40 goals and 1 who kicks > 80. This is probably the most far fetched given our recent form.

2. Primus, Tredrea, Mead, Wanga's and Stevens all play > 20 games

3. Lloyd, Lucus, Hird etc get injured

4. 2 of our new recruits play > 15 games and one of them finishes top 2 in the Norwich award.

5. We kick twice as many goals as behinds.

6. We win 80% of games decided by less than 2 goals.

7. We win 50% of our games away from home.

Why we will finish last.....

1. Again, we have 1 forward who kicks > 30 goals.

2. Primus, Mead & Wangas don't play more than 12 games.

3. We sack Williams.

4. We win only 1 or 2 games away from SA, and lose the close ones at footy park.
I am sure there are more...

ptw

Do you rate us for bottom ?

PA1870

No...I think we have too many games at football park to finish bottom....but it is a possibility...probably a greater chance of finnishing bottom than winning the flag.

But at the end of the day we should win at least half our FP games which would give us 6 wins and keep us of the bottom.

I was just trying to think of what would have to go wrong for it to happen.

ptw

You have to look at the games one by one:

R1 Brisbane, home Tough, but possible
R2 Essendon, away Highly unlikely
R3 C-Words, 'away' Winnable
R4 St Kilda, home Win (long overdue against this mob)
R5 Geelong, away Probably not
R6 W.Bullies, home Winnable
R7 West Coast, away Won there last year
R8 Cold Pies, home No excuse for losing
R9 Melbourne, home Difficult
R10 Hawkthorn, away Need to pinch these, but tough
R11 Sydney, away Probably not
R12 Carlton, home Been done before!
R13 Kangas, Canb Nope
R14 Fr'ockers, away Must win, but tricky
R15 Richmond, home Yes
R16 Brisbane, away No
R17 Essendon, home Wishful thinking
R18 C-words, 'home' Good chance for 2 in one season
R19 St Kilda, away Probably not, unless they've given up again
R20 Geelong, home Winnable
R21 Dogs, away Unlikely
R22 Weagles, home Very winnable

I've pencilled in wins (all home games) against: SK(R4), WB(R6), Co(R8), Ca(R12), R(R15), A(R18), G(R20), WC(R22).

Likely losses: E(R2), G(R5), H(R10), SS(R11), K(R13), B(R16), E(R17), SK(R19), WB(R21).

Of the 50-50 games, two are at home: B(R1), M(R9) and 3 away: A(R3), WC(R7), F(R14). Optimistically I think we can pick up 3 wins from these 5 games.

That scenario would give us 11 wins and probably relying on percentage to get us into the top eight.

Winning 8 or 9 of our home games will be difficult and we'd have to improve a lot to win more than a couple away. But that's exactly what Port have to do, isn't it...?

C'mon guys, its too easy at the start of the season to say this will happen, this won't happen. You don't know whats going to happen until it actually happens. How many people would of predicted at the start of last season that we were going to beat West Coast in Perth after we were over 6 goals behind?. Nobody.

Also to say we need 5 players to kick 40+ goals for us to be a premiership side doesn't make any sense. I can't think of any premiership side thats had 5, 40+ goalkickers. To win in football you have to score more than your oppenents not kick 20+ goals every week. West Coast won 2 premiership because of their defense not their fowards.

All we should expect from Port this year is a continued improvement from their form of the second half of last season. That should be enough for them to make the finals and once your in the finals its the team who can make the most of their chances that will go on to win the premiership. As the Crows proved twice anything can happen once you have made the finals.

Carb

Good Post, where has the belief gone. We are Port supporters, be positive. Of course we will make the eight.

No point getting hung up because we aint going to win a premiership and we are going to be far from the bottom as well.

Port are just building a good side for the moment and I am sure all success will come soon but try and be positive for now, how do you think the players would feel if you were speaking about them like that.

Get behind the team!

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Scott

I agree we should be behind the team.

One of the key mistakes other clubs make though (think Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood) is not realising when you don't have a team that will win the flag. If your team will not win the flag then scrap it (I'm talking long term here not just this season).

I think our squad has the potential to win the flag so we will continue to develop them...but an attitude of "we will win BECAUSE we are Port Adelaide" is not what made us great in the first place. The attitude of "losing is unacceptable and we will do whatever it takes to avoid it" is what made us great. Part of that involves serious critical examination of every level of the club.

ptw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back