Why women play the rough/risky game of AF? How can we get more?/Improve the AFLW? Any barriers?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I will join in here at a grassroots level in Perth.
Our Plumber was at our house recently and is keen Aussie Rules fan and his eldest Daughter took up the game last year.
He said his daughter is showing some talent and loves it.
His comments were they have to play at night because shortage of grounds and suitable facilities and his daughter wears her playing gear to the games.
The facilities are not very good for the Women/Girls he said, and the night thing was not a problem for her.
We do know the WA footy Commission is holding a Statewide review on that topic at the moment and would be in a big catch up phase.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
What schools in Geelong/other parts of Victoria have offered their ovals to community clubs to play AF? How often does this happen? For games , training, or both?
Is the rent charged the same as Local Council rents? Or more expensive?

I agree that most jnrs & adults enjoy playing the occasional AF game under lights.
Some men don't enjoy playing Friday nights due to Melbourne's very heavy early evening traffic; &/or because they might have done physical work during the day.
In Bunbury, there is one school with a club in the local junior comp. The school closest to me has 1 small uneven oval and questionable facilities probably unsuitable for anything over U14s. However, the local posh school has a couple of ovals plus good modern facilities. This has been used as a site for games by the state development squad. Some state team U18 girls trial matches are held there. They do hold some junior games there in the local comp as well.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Our Plumber was at our house recently and is keen Aussie Rules fan and his eldest Daughter took up the game last year.
His comments were they have to play at night because shortage of grounds and suitable facilities and his daughter wears her playing gear to the games.
The facilities are not very good for the Women/Girls he said, and the night thing was not a problem for her.
We do know the WA footy Commission is holding a Statewide review on that topic at the moment and would be in a big catch up phase.

The facilities aren't good in general. The same crap facilities they are using are also being used by the male side of the clubs.

AFL needs to be putting in a huge sum of money to upgrade facilities of all clubs nation wide.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Now a Play has been written & performed re female AF- a woman playing in a professional men's team.
(I don't think this will ever happen in any men's team- due to serious safety issues. Also, Leagues & Insurance cos. would not allow it- as recently decided in a local, country SA men's comp. Possibly, in country leagues with small rural teams/declining nos. of young males living in some rural areas, strictly exclusive female zones- 35 mtrs? next to goals- could be allowed if opposition also has female players)

The usual themes are examined. Female empowerment, & many women don't want to be stereotyped. Also, many females want to be challenged/have their courage tested by playing a full contact sport.
Interestingly, it premiered in Sydney! Also, interestingly, one theme of the Play is "The prevailing idea of what it means to be Australian"!?

2. In March 2019, the inaugural Australian Women's Football Fund had a fund raiser: Breakfast, & Speeches were held. It raised $60,000 for GR female AF, & was attended by an impressive 500 contributors (the venue had to be changed for a larger one, due to the great response).

It was organised by S.Alberti. This function was different to her other, pre-AFLW season commencement fund raiser- which is continuing, & raises funds for medical research; with the Speeches about female AF.

Prof. R. Ritchie, in attendance, also highlighted that Siena all-girls' school in Melb. (S. Alberti's alma mater, who assisted) now has 6 female AF sides. This reinforces that female private schools in Melb. are continuing their strong junior female AF support (as they did with commencing the growth of female jnr AF after 2002).

N. Livingstone, AFLW CEO, predicted further strong growth for female GR AF in 2019. Availability of ovals for training & playing will continue to be a problem- as will the Council-recommended maximum 25 hours pw, per oval (includes training & matches).

3. I will put this item here- recording & promoting female GR skill "challenges" & milestones.

A VFLW Darebin player G. Hammond, playing against the Southern Saints (St Kilda's VFLW team) kicked a 85 mt goal. It bounced 3 times inside the oval, & had a very strong wind behind it. Trevor Barker Oval, Sandringham, very close to the bay, is often windy!
For men, 95%+, throughout their AF career, would never be able to boast a similar feat.

4. For the first time, the Matildas' women's soccer team has failed to make the final 16 in the 2019 WC. Many soccer experts are also stating that there are very few highly skilled, young female soccer players emerging who might, realistically, earn a place in the Matildas' ageing squad in the next few years.

In Europe particularly, significant financial resources are now being devoted to GR & elite female soccer.
Ros Moriarty, FFA Women's Football Council Chair, has stated

"I think we're actually losing ground...(FFA must implement -my words) leadership across the game to focus on women's football, recognising what's being said globally, which is that women's football is the game's big growth area...".

Will the FFA now start investing more greatly in female GR soccer, & the Matildas (who some say has recently been soccer's biggest "good news" story in Australia, once ranked internationally c. 5- as the Socceroos have been in a steady decline in world rankings over the last 10 years)?
If there is more FFA focus & investment, will this curtail the boom in female AF GR nos.?

A new, private (ie non FFA) organisation has just been launched by NSW Minister For Spot, J. Sidoti: Women In Football. Its President is B. Mersiadis, & is backed by A. Stajic. Its aim is to increase the no. of female soccer players, fans, coaches etc in Australia.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
1. Now a Play has been written & performed re female AF- a woman playing in a professional men's team.
(I don't think this will ever happen in any men's team- due to serious safety issues. Also, Leagues & Insurance cos. would not allow it- as recently decided in a local, country SA men's comp. Possibly, in country leagues with small rural teams/declining nos. of young males living in some rural areas, strictly exclusive female zones- 35 mtrs? next to goals- could be allowed if opposition also has female players)

The usual themes are examined. Female empowerment, & many women don't want to be stereotyped. Also, many females want to be challenged/have their courage tested by playing a full contact sport.
Interestingly, it premiered in Sydney! Also, interestingly, one theme of the Play is "The prevailing idea of what it means to be Australian"!?

2. In March 2019, the inaugural Australian Women's Football Fund had a fund raiser: Breakfast, & Speeches were held. It raised $60,000 for GR female AF, & was attended by an impressive 500 contributors (the venue had to be changed for a larger one, due to the great response).

It was organised by S.Alberti. This function was different to her other, pre-AFLW season commencement fund raiser- which is continuing, & raises funds for medical research; with the Speeches about female AF.

Prof. R. Ritchie, in attendance, also highlighted that Siena all-girls' school in Melb. (S. Alberti's alma mater, who assisted) now has 6 female AF sides. This reinforces that female private schools in Melb. are continuing their strong junior female AF support (as they did with commencing the growth of female jnr AF after 2002).

N. Livingstone, AFLW CEO, predicted further strong growth for female GR AF in 2019. Availability of ovals for training & playing will continue to be a problem- as will the Council-recommended maximum 25 hours pw, per oval (includes training & matches).

3. I will put this item here- recording & promoting female GR skill "challenges" & milestones.

A VFLW Darebin player G. Hammond, playing against the Southern Saints (St Kilda's VFLW team) kicked a 85 mt goal. It bounced 3 times inside the oval, & had a very strong wind behind it. Trevor Barker Oval, Sandringham, very close to the bay, is often windy!
For men, 95%+, throughout their AF career, would never be able to boast a similar feat.

4. For the first time, the Matildas' women's soccer team has failed to make the final 16 in the 2019 WC. Many soccer experts are also stating that there are very few highly skilled, young female soccer players emerging who might, realistically, earn a place in the Matildas' ageing squad in the next few years.

In Europe particularly, significant financial resources are now being devoted to GR & elite female soccer.
Ros Moriarty, FFA Women's Football Council Chair, has stated

"I think we're actually losing ground...(FFA must implement -my words) leadership across the game to focus on women's football, recognising what's being said globally, which is that women's football is the game's big growth area...".

Will the FFA now start investing more greatly in female GR soccer, & the Matildas (who some say has recently been soccer's biggest "good news" story in Australia, once ranked internationally c. 5- as the Socceroos have been in a steady decline in world rankings over the last 10 years)?
If there is more FFA focus & investment, will this curtail the boom in female AF GR nos.?

A new, private (ie non FFA) organisation has just been launched by NSW Minister For Spot, J. Sidoti: Women In Football. Its President is B. Mersiadis, & is backed by A. Stajic. Its aim is to increase the no. of female soccer players, fans, coaches etc in Australia.

Interesting items in the above links BBT.
You have asked the eternal question - Will Womens Soccer Football surpass Womens footy at any time in the future.
AFL fans should note that the FFA has just turned loose their 3 Competition Leagues in Australia to find their own commercial fundings and operate completely seperately from now on, as in Europe. How this works out in the future we do not know but it is a major step occurring and increased competition in all areas from the Round Ball game can be predicted.
Back to our Womens game and its future - It looks ok at present with continuing growth this year in the heartland States and QLD.
The area where there is increased potential is NSW, which is where Womens Soccer ironically is dominant over all Womens football codes.
I predicted back in 2016 that the total Womens footy participation would peak at 500,000 however that prediction is now well and truly redundant.
To answer your eternal question - Not in the forseeable future IMHO.

I’m involved at grassroots level the past two seasons, in the northern suburbs WA.

The facilities are lacking, but I would go as far to say that is across both male & female. The ovals I find are generally in good nick.

Night footy is great and makes a good spectacle if managed by clubs correctly.

Skill wise - it does make ball handling for some players that more difficult however. I’ve seen some of my own girls handle the ball that much better through the day at school footy, like chalk and cheese!

All in all, grassroots footy for girls is very new but is growing rapidly. My team alone has 4 netball converts this season.

Exciting times.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Night footy is great and makes a good spectacle if managed by clubs correctly.
Skill wise[dew, poor lights, or both?] - it does make ball handling for some players that more difficult however. I’ve seen some of my own girls handle the ball that much better through the day at school footy, like chalk and cheese!
In Melbourne in winter, dew often develops after 7pm, & some grounds have very ordinary lighting for matches. Both contribute to skill levels (slippery ball & hands, poorer ball visibility for marking) being, generally, poorer for night matches.
Perhaps, players feel colder at night time- which could negatively impact on skills?

Conversely, IMO, there seems to be, usually, less wind after dark Melbourne (others disagree with me). If correct, this should enhance skills.

Is dew common in Perth in winter after 7pm; & is there a problem with poor lighting for matches?

What, in your view, are the 4 most common reasons females want to play AF?

Are private schools in Perth leading the growth of jnr female AF?
Why don't many, after leaving school AF in Perth, then join a GR snr female club?

Last edited:
Moreso the Dew BringBackTorps - lighting is pretty good, more than adequate.

What, in your view, are the 4 most common reasons females want to play AF?

This is for the age bracket of 11-13

1) They like the hardness of the sport
2) They've seen it on TV
3) Social -followed friends to the game
4) Parents influence

Are private schools in Perth leading the growth of jnr female AF?

I think Private schools have moved quicker to engage a footy programme catered for girls. My two daughters are public schooled and whilst its there - it isnt given as much emphasis just yet.

Why don't many, after leaving school AF in Perth, then join a GR snr female club?
I couldn't say. Educated guess would be it wasn't the norm for Women to play footy. I can see with my very own eyes this landscape changing.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Susan Alberti reported that female GR nos. for 2019 "...are nudging nearly 600,000...".

(go to 11 minute 25 second mark of time remaining)

In 2018, the nos. were 530,166 (Club & school comps, short programs, Gala Days etc.). The growth -c.13%- has, again, been formidable; & is a major boost for the short & long term future of the game.

1. Given its vast nos. & recent growth trajectory, is female AF (the AFLW, elite squads, & GR females) obtaining its fair & equitable share of AFL funding?
Current AFL funding for elite and GR female AF is very poor, cf. total revenues.

2. Would the Return On Investment & long term strategic growth be greater by investing, proportionately, more in female AF (cf. male AF)?

3. Female contact RU (including 7's) & female contact RL are experiencing, also, strong growth (but from a FAR smaller base). Will their growth threaten female AF growth in NSW, ACT, & Qld.?
Also, semi professional women's soccer is growing strongly in Europe; & the female soccer WC has a higher profile & exposure. Could athletic females in Australia become increasingly attracted to soccer- & would this affect female AF?

4. Is there still a realistic possibility of significant increases in male GR AF participation in Vic., WA, SA, & NT (Tas. must be rebuilt)? Potential female growth in these heartland states seems much stronger than male growth.

5. How are we going to logistically accomodate the female GR AF juggernaut, as we can assume the growth will continue (especially as the AFLW expands with more teams to c.2024, more AFLW games & exposure- the driving forces). Problems with sufficient grounds for GR matches & training are already emerging.

6. Is the growth likely to plateau, or only minor increases in female GR nos., when the AFLW expands to 18 teams in c. 5 years?

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Lots of questions there BBT.
Until we see the 2019 AFL figures State by State is is hard to make many comments.
However a look at the opposition shows who we are competing with.
Extracted from Netball Australia which formed in 1927 as Womens Basketball League. They make claims in the extract which you would expect them to make.
Was unable to find a better breakdown than 1.2 million. Would have to say they have huge numbers for a Womens sport and the Mens numbers likely to at this time small but growing.
Another fact we turned up is that it is the Worlds biggest Womens team sport at this time.

"These days, netball is the biggest team sport in Australia, played by over 1.2 million men, women and children all over the country. It’s also the number one participation sport for Australian girls. Netball Australia’s job is to foster that growth. To connect with local communities, protect the reputation of the game, and empower women to shine."

Cricket Australia has an official Cricket Census each year and the results below, show healthy growth.
The three States with the most female numbers - No surprises -NSW, VIC and QLD.

Total Womens participation -496,484 -2018/2019
404,127 -2017/2018

The only other Womens sport with numbers high enough to compare here IMHO (excluding Swimming) is Soccer Football.
To extract the FFA Womens figures it is necessary to do some guesswork because in our opinion the FFA is fixated on the total numbers without a breakdown in some cases. It is called bragging rights.
Here we go.
Total official female figures for Outdoors, Futsal and Social -141,489, which represent about 25% of the overall total of those 3 areas as quoted in the census-actual 22% to 28%.
Having no other tools in our kit we will stick with 25% of the totals given. Now if this rule is incorrect it shows that we just dont know which is likely where the FFA wants us to be.
Total School programs -558,429 with no breakdown males or females.= 25% -139,607
Total Community/Social programs -550,495 as above. =25% -137,623
Add up the three totals =418,719
Total Womens Soccer Football participation for 2018 = 418,719 -Subject to confirmation from the FFA????

If our Womens game is nudging 600,000 IMHO we maybe getting near the top because we are not spread like the expanding Womens Cricket in each State, which roughly mirrors the respective populations in those States.
We cannot prove it but Netball likely mirrors the same.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Another fact we turned up is that it is the Worlds[US female soccer nos. would be bigger than Australian Netball] biggest Womens team sport at this time.

"These days, netball is the biggest team sport in Australia, played by over 1.2 million men, women and children all over the country. It’s also the number one participation sport for Australian girls. Netball Australia’s job is to foster that growth. To connect with local communities, protect the reputation of the game, and empower women to shine."
I have never seen Netball claiming c.1,200,000 participants before. Is this from their Official registered participant nos.?
Soccer has, also, previously claimed it had more female soccer participants than netball in Australia?
Female basketball nos. are also strong.

Re national spread in Australia, as AF is more uneven than cricket & netball, it could be argued that, over the long term, AF has more potential for growth in NSW, ACT, & Qld. Furthermore, in AF heartland, female AF Club nos. are poor in WA, sthn. NSW, & far nthn. Vic.

AF has 3 "Points Of Difference", cf netball & cricket:-

. AF is a far more multi-dimensional sport requiring, arguably, the most diverse skill set of any sport (& left & right hands & feet) to play.
. Crucially, AF requires courage to play. All female players know they will experience pain regularly- &, occasionally, be injured: this toughness is appealing for many females.

. AF is an Australian game. This is a source of pride for many players & fans.

Furthermore, the AFLW ( the driving force) in 2019 only had 10 teams. The addition of the remaining 8 teams, in c. 5 years, will provide a big boost to female GR nos. Four new teams are being added in 2020.
Anecdotally, many are predicting that, within 5 years, 90%+ of junior AF Clubs will have multiple female teams (assuming match/training ground availability problems can be overcome).

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I have never seen Netball claiming c.1,200,000 participants before. Is this from their Official registered participant nos.?
Soccer has, also, previously claimed it had more female soccer participants than netball in Australia?
Female basketball nos. are also strong.

Yes that is the official statement on the Netball Australia web site.
Did not you read my attempted breakdown of Soccer Female numbers - The FFA produces deliberate dodgy figures by not differentiating between male and female in some of their activities.

Re national spread in Australia, as AF is more uneven than cricket & netball, it could be argued that, over the long term, AF has more potential for growth in NSW, ACT, & Qld. Furthermore, in AF heartland, female AF Club nos. are poor in WA, sthn. NSW, & far nthn. Vic.

You could argue that however potential is a word that does not measure how many Women will take our game up in the future.

In WA now even with the addition of the Amateur teams growth will be slow at the best. It is likely that with facilities dragging their feet it will not get much better. It is impossible to get online a list of all of the WA womens comps around the State as you can with for example with QLD.
Currently we are being bombarded by EPL TEAMS at Optus Stadium with more Annual visits in future years, and kids are running around in EPL strip.
Plus we have a high percentage of English migrants here-They all live generally on the North Coastal Strip - To get near the beaches.

AF has 3 "Points Of Difference", cf netball & cricket:-

. AF is a far more multi-dimensional sport requiring, arguably, the most diverse skill set of any sport (& left & right hands & feet) to play.
. Crucially, AF requires courage to play. All female players know they will experience pain regularly- &, occasionally, be injured: this toughness is appealing for many females.

All other female sports require similar skill sets and those sports have had a long head start in getting established over ours. We just have to wait and wait.
Aussie Rules does not have a god like status BBT (Except in Vic) it is just another sport to many Women.

. AF is an Australian game. This is a source of pride for many players & fans.

Only in the heartland States to a large extent -We will have to wait at least 10 years to realise the final figures on Womens participation.

Furthermore, the AFLW ( the driving force) in 2019 only had 10 teams. The addition of the remaining 8 teams, in c. 5 years, will provide a big boost to female GR nos. Four new teams are being added in 2020.
Anecdotally, many are predicting that, within 5 years, 90%+ of junior AF Clubs will have multiple female teams (assuming match/training ground availability problems can be overcome).

Still reckon the AFLW will be Gils greatest achievment in his term of office- He had no idea what he was creating only a vague idea that it might take off.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
BBT, Further to the discussion above have found an article that shows that Womens Soccer Football participation numbers are dominated by the USA followed by many countries which much much lower numbers.
It looks like the growth has been recent except for the USA but the growth is way behind Netball Internationally.

The statement below was extracted from Netball Australia Mission Statement for the Federal Govt in Canberra discussing its tax status.

Netball is ranked as the leading women’s participation team sport and the top team based sport in Australia for 15 to 24 year olds. Over 1.2 million participants enjoy the game nationally and Australia has been dominant on the international stage since 1963. Netball Australia has more than 340,000 registered members; 5,000 clubs nationally; 730 associations; and eight member organisations
Netball is the largest female community based sporting organisation in the world, with more than 70 nations playing and over 21 million participants world-wide. Netball can make a real difference in the lives of women and girls.

The major reason for the Netball growth worldwide is the time of establishment and good management. In Australia it was 1927 and other countries have connected up later over the years. As stated above the World Cup was established in about 1963.
So here we are talking about Womens Footy -AFLW in particular - its first season in 2017 in Australia and apparently Womens Footy overall reaching near 600,000 participants this year. What are chances of them getting figures near Netball.
Remember this - Girls play Netball and Boys play Footy -that was the mantra not so long ago.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Poor female facilities are hampering the growth of female GR AF.

Also, Susan Alberti said "...a good way to boost BOTH MALE (my emphases) and female participation in football was to combine a sporting club".
The Sth. Launceston FC President, W. Mitchell, said female teams are greatly helping his club in many ways.

Last edited:
Poor female facilities are hampering the growth of female GR AF.

Hopefully articles such as this help bring these issues to the forefront.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL needs to be putting in a huge sum of money to upgrade facilities of all clubs nation wide.

Which isnt going to happen. The AFL does however spend millions each year on local and lower tier facilities through the facility development program. ($15 million in 2018, a record high)

This isnt a problem just faced by the AFL, soccer has the same issues

The councils and local governments that generally own these facilities should update them according to what their ratepayers are doing, and clubs themselves need to be competent enough to research and properly apply for any grants that might be available from the AFL, their state footy body and local/state/fed government. If its a lack of ground space, then some sort of arrangement with local public school ovals needs to be arranged.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Sarah Marschke, Miss World Australia 2019, a 180 cm ruck/forward player with the Sydney Bombers AF team, wants to be drafted into the AFLW. She said "I fell in love with the game and have been obsessed ever since". She switched from RL.
The article was in the Herald Sun on 11.8.19- it is behind a paywall.

Can anyone open it?

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Miss World Australia Sarah Marschke is looking to make her mark on the AFLW.
The 20-year-old, 180cm tall beauty queen hails from NSW and after growing up in a rugby league family switched codes to AFL four years ago.

“I fell in love with the game and have been obsessed ever since,” Marschke said.

She plays ruck and forward and is hoping to step up in to the senior AFLW ranks.

“My dream is to be drafted in 2020,” she said.

“I don’t mind who I play for. If I get the opportunity to join a team I will move states.

“I actually have a couple of quiet little meetings set up with some footy clubs in Melbourne.

“I play ruck but I can play forward. But because I come from a rugby league background I have really good defence skills.”

With her sights set on the Miss World pageant, breaking into the AFLW, forging a career in sports broadcasting, and respecting her faith, Marschke is too busy for love.

“I have never had a boyfriend, ever,” she said.

“I am a Christian. Growing up I always said, ‘God is going to have a guy for me as I get older,’ so it is not something I have searched for and I am never going to get involved with a guy unless he is there for a good reason and he is the guy I am going to end up with.”

Marschke said her religious upbringing reminded her to be kind and loving.

“I am proud to be a Christian. It does not make you weird,” she said. “For me it is about positivity and kindness. It makes life a lot easier for me because with everything that happens, good and bad, my response is that it is meant to be, there is a reason why this happened.”

Marschke will represent Australia in the Miss World International Final in London on December 14.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Sarah Marschke, Miss World Australia 2019, a 180 cm ruck/forward player with the Sydney Bombers AF team, wants to be drafted into the AFLW. She said "I fell in love with the game and have been obsessed ever since". She switched from RL.
The article was in the Herald Sun on 11.8.19- it is behind a paywall.

Can anyone open it?

Good find BBT. Will be an excellent role model for the young women around her.
Looking at the growth of Womens footy it appears that most potential now is NSW with the heartland States and QLD still expecting growth but at a lower rate.
We are still waiting for a total figure for NSW excluding the ACT, hopefully will get one later this year.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The bronzed 3.3 mtr statue erected (in Melb's. CBD's central Federation Square) for Tayla Harris- & her spectacular, very high kicking action style- is generating major interest in the MSM in Victoria. It is a very positive message for women to play AF/sport in general; & should encourage more females to play AF.

I suspect it will become, permanently, very popular for females & males to have their photos taken in front of it- but not certain where the final, completed bronze statue will be erected.

Has the statue attracted much MSM attention outside of Victoria?

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The bronzed 3.3 mtr statue erected (in Melb's. CBD's central Federation Square) for Tayla Harris- & her very high kicking action style- is generating major interest in the MSM in Victoria. It is a very positive message for women to play AF/sport in general; & should encourage more females to play AF.

I suspect it will become, permanently, very popular for females & males to have their photos taken in front of it- but not certain were the final, completed statue will be erected.

Has the statue attracted much MSM attention outside of Victoria?

I have seen it mentioned on USA media sites. The original uproar got a little bit of traction overseas, so the statue will to.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
A GREAT photo of Erin Wardrop, St George player, "doing the splits" in her Div.3 Sydney Grand Final- first class effort from the photographer Nigel Owen to capture the instant. And, also, the video of her in the same game, doing a very unusual summersault to avoid a player! (Re the summersault, AFLNSW/ACT Facebook commentator writes "I've never seen this before on a footy field").

AFAIK, men are unable to do the splits- or risk serious injury!

Is the headline correct- does Wardrop's spits "...photo trump iconic Tayla Harris kick" splits photo?

Excluding gymnastics & athletics (& dancing), do females sometimes do the splits in other female sports?

In soccer, RU & RL, I have never seen photos of women, when they kick the ball (either off the ground, or dropping it from the hand) do the splits -ala Tayla Harris' kicks (coincidentally, just recently immortalised in Harris' bronze statue).

Does female netball & basketball allow a player, from behind, to crash into an opponent's back to spoil the ball (where a similar splits action might be seen)?
In basketball & netball, have there been photos of females doing the splits (equal as well as Wardrop), when they spoil an opponent?

Should these splits photos be used MUCH more in AFLW promotional material- extolling the athleticism of female AF/highlighting a unique aspect of female AF (female flexibility is its only crucial "point of difference" to male AF)?
The photos are very spectacular- make them the quintessential element of female AF.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Ms. Tayla Harris' 61.5 mtr torp came third, behind 2 AFL players, in the Fox Footy Longest Kicking comp. across the Yarra, on 28.9.
J. Dunstall said of it " Right now, there's another 10 blokes in the tent going OMG, we're in trouble. We are in serious trouble. That is the purest spiral"!

The AFL should develop & promote more heavily such magnificent skill achievements by AFLW players. It would raise its stature, & would maximise attention given to female AF, & would encourage more females to play.

It would also increase crowds/ratings/more MSM interest in the AFLW.
The Ratings' decline in the AFLW is a VERY serious problem: directly effecting its future, financial returns, ability to become a full time professional comp., & the eventual creation of a full season (eg 17 weeks H & A, plus 3-4 weeks of Finals).

To encourage more interest in the AFLW, & to give it a much-needed "point of difference", I would like to see the AFLW promote torps
eg a torp goal kicked outside a 45 mtr mark would automatically be worth 2 goals; or allow, after the first torp. goal outside 45 mtrs, another torp. kick for goal directly in front, on the 45 mtr mark (if successful, total of 2 goals scored).

The best kickers in Clubs, of course, would need specialist training & practice to perfect the difficult skill (smaller sweet spot, & kicked slightly on the outside of the instep).

I think the AFLW & AFL clubs should also encourage women to do hangers- by providing specialist one-on-one training to those players most likely to be able to perform this extremely difficult skill. Hangers, also, would provide the AFLW with more "footy cred" & prestige.
The Rules should be changed in the AFLW so that, once a player has done a hanger, an advantage is awarded- to encourage players to train for this VERY diifficult skill.
eg if the hanger is done in the backline (behind the centre), the mark is moved 50 mtrs up the field; if hanger done anywhere in the forward line, allow the player the option to take their kick at goal directly in front of goal, 30 mtrs out.

Last edited:
Ms. Tayla Harris' 61.5 mtr torp came third, behind 2 AFL players, in the Fox Footy Longest Kicking comp. across the Yarra, on 28.9.
J. Dunstall said of it " Right now, there's another 10 blokes in the tent going OMG, we're in trouble. We are in serious trouble. That is the purest spiral"!

The AFL should develop & promote more heavily such skill achievements by AFLW players. It would raise its stature, & would maximise attention given to female AF, & would encourage more females to play.

It would also increase crowds/ratings/more MSM interest in the AFLW.
The Ratings' decline in the AFLW is a VERY serious problem: directly effecting its future, financial returns, ability to become a full time professional comp., & the creation of a full season (eg 17 weeks H & A, plus 3-4 weeks of Finals).

To encourage more interest in the AFLW, & to give it a much-needed "point of difference", I would like to see the AFLW promote torps
eg a torp goal kicked outside a 45 mtr mark would automatically be worth 2 goals; or allow, after the first torp. goal outside 45 mtrs, another torp. kick for goal directly in front, on the 45 mtr mark (if successful, total of 2 goals scored).

The best kickers in Clubs, of course, would need specialist training & practice to perfect the difficult skill (smaller sweet spot, & kicked slightly on the outside of the instep).

I think the AFLW & AFL clubs should also encourage women to do hangers- by providing specialist one-on-one training to those players most likely to be able to perform this extremely difficult skill. Hangers, also, would provide the AFLW with more "footy cred" & prestige.
The Rules should be changed in the AFLW so that, once a player has done a hanger, an advantage is awarded- to encourage players to train for this VERY diifficult skill.
eg if the hanger is done in the backline (behind the centre), the mark is moved 50 mtrs up the field; if hanger done anywhere in the forward line, allow the player the option to take their kick at goal directly in front of goal, 30 mtrs out.
I agree there should be more attention given to the skill level of players in the womens league’s but I don’t think we should create more differences between the men and women.
It’s Australian Rules Footy and women want to play it, they don’t change the rules for BBall or Soccer for women.
The way it’s played without time-on and the different treatment of women to men the tribunal process even the lengths of quarters it’s as if the women are playing to Junior’s Rules.
At the moment IMO the AFLW is an inferior league to the VFLW. It’s almost a sports carnival rather than a national sport and the AFL need to treat Australian Rules with more respect but are instead, it looks to me, as if they are trying to shape a product for marketing/Brand development and television.
I went to four vflw games this year and an elimination final and I’ll be getting some memberships for my daughter and I.
I just hope the AFL start treating these players as elite players of Australian Rules rather than women who play AFL.

Back