Why women play the rough/risky game of AF? How can we get more?/Improve the AFLW? Any barriers?

Remove this Banner Ad

I will repeat that NSW is where any surge may happen.
I have lived in Sydney and it is not AFL heartland and Soccer Football is very strong.
It is very likely your comments apply to AFL heartland States only.
Australian Basketball has had gender pay equality for the national teams for decades, was there a surge? Given the Matildas deal has been portrayed as a world first, when it isnt even an Australian first, I would suggest everybody forgot about it shortly after it happened.

Australian Basketball has had gender pay equality for the national teams for decades, was there a surge? Given the Matildas deal has been portrayed as a world first, when it isnt even an Australian first, I would suggest everybody forgot about it shortly after it happened.
1. I did not know this- when was it introduced?
Are there any other professional team sports in Aust. or the world, where the national women's team gets paid the same as the men's at the main international tournament?

2. Do you know what the Socceroos were paid for their 2018 WC, when they didn't progress out of their Group? And what would they be paid if they did progress out of their Group? I think they get paid more,the higher they progress.
Applying the new equality formula, what would the Matildas be paid if they make the Final 8 in future WC's (which is possible or likely)?

Incidentally, the Matilda's equal wage deal may be better than many people realise.
IIRC, the Socceroos have been one of the highest paid teams in the world at WC's, as far back as c. 2006 WC- even though their ranking has been from c. 20 then to c. 44 now (this attracted some adverse comments).
Therefore, will this make the Matilda's (currently ranked c. 8 in the world) the best paid in future WC's; or one of the best paid at future WC's?

3. Do you know if the FFA payments to their soccer WC players has a direct impact on how much they are able to spend on male & female GR players?

4. Furthermore, the Melb. H./Sun has run 2 Editorials in the last few days, praising the Matilda's equal pay deal- & suggesting there needs to be more equality offered to women's sport (but did not specifically say that women's club pro players should be paid the same as the men's pro players).

On 9.11, The Age also had an Editorial praising the Matilda's deal, & its importance.

Soccer has secured a strong promotional/"propaganda" victory- & is likely to use its pay deal for the Matildas as a way of seeking "leverage" & benefits in many other areas for soccer (from govts./councils/private sector companies/ etc. & general media affirmation).
I don't believe we, in Aust., will be allowed to "forget" c. the generosity shown to the Matildas.

It is being reported the Matildas had a record, stand-alone crowd in Aust. yesterday, over 20,000 to a Friendly vs Chile at Bankwest- is there already some beneficial "blowback" for female soccer? If so, how long will it last?

Last edited:
Are there any other professional team sports in Aust. or the world, where the national women's team gets paid the same as the men's at the main international tournament?

2. Do you know what the Socceroos were paid for their 2018 WC, when they didn't progress out of their Group? And what would they be paid if they did progress out of their Group? I think they get paid more,the higher they progress.
Applying the new equality formula, what would the Matildas be paid if they make the Final 8 in future WC's (which is possible or likely)?

Incidentally, the Matilda's equal wage deal may be better than many people realise.
IIRC, the Socceroos have been one of the highest paid teams in the world at WC's, as far back as c. 2006 WC- even though their ranking has been from c. 20 then to c. 44 now (this attracted some adverse comments).
Therefore, will this make the Matilda's (currently ranked c. 8 in the world) the best paid in future WC's; or one of the best paid at future WC's?

3. Do you know if the FFA payments to their soccer WC players has a direct impact on how much they are able to spend on male & female GR players?

4. Furthermore, the Melb. H./Sun has run 2 Editorials in the last few days, praising the Matilda's equal pay deal- & suggesting there needs to be more equality offered to women's sport (but did not specifically say that women's club pro players should be paid the same as the men's pro players).

Soccer has secured a strong promotional/"propaganda" victory- & is likely to use its pay deal for the Matildas as a way of seeking "leverage" & benefits in many other areas for soccer (from govts./councils/private sector companies/ etc. & general media affirmation).
I don't believe we, in Aust., will be allowed to "forget" c. the generosity shown to the Matildas.

It is being reported the Matildas had a record, stand-alone crowd in Aust. yesterday, over 20,000 to a Friendly vs Chile at Bankwest- is there already some beneficial "blowback" for female soccer? If so, how long will it last?
Likely some of that attendance figure was influenced by the Samantha Kerr appearance who is likely to depart our shores for England after indicating that she preferred to cut back on her appearances in Australia and the USA.
Samantha also said that there were more comps over there and was looking forward to the Womens English Soccer Football season which had more vibe than her present comps.
That brand new Stadium in Parramatta holds about 29,000.
Still say that NSW will be likely to show a boost - How big very hard to say - Have to track the figures next year.

On 9.11, The Age also had an Editorial praising the Matilda's deal, & its importance.

Behind a paywall

https://thewest.com.au/sport/olympi...pay-claim-ng-f54790f82decc5562f7c93430f2b9fe7

Basically Charlesworth calling out Matildas pay claim as a stunt, and points out that the Australian womens hockey team has been getting the same (and sometimes more), than the mens team for at least 30 or 40 years. Along with another rant about pro womens sport getting to much money compared to minor or Olympic sports.

I would expect Eagles Freo to get more than 20 000 as well, also maybe Richmonds first game? Plus the GF, and maybe some of the other finals depending on who is in them and where they are played. Matildas are a national team, and should draw support from everybody that follows womens soccer, or Australian soccer. Game was in Soccer heartland, national team, I would have thought 20k was a minimum, and the fact it is mentioned as a great figure shows were womens soccer is coming from. I would also have thought those that went were into their womens soccer, so this isn't 20k new supporters, this is just getting 20k supporters, to go. So benefit, some good publicity, always helps, not much more than that really.

the biggest benefit may just be that the crowd was not small. Remember, its not that long ago that the FFA had the Matildas play some world cup warm up games against NZ behind closed doors (to save some money).

SEN Radio Melb. G. Whateley program 14.11

Whateley raised female soccer prospects & growth with Daisy Pearce.
She replied (in the context of future sporting opportunities for her new-born daughter, & girls generally), paraphrasing, that soccer did not appeal to her (ie Daisy) because often no goals were scored. Irony!
She also said she was glad more sporting opportunities were developing for girls, & her daughter could play whatever games she preferred.

Pearce's comment was very interesting. It should be recalled when the future directions & growth of the AFLW (& AFL) are being discussed!

EDIT:
3 mins. 45 seconds - 4 mins mark
Pierce "I haven't been a big soccer fan in the past, probably critical of sitting there watching a whole game and not seeing a score...".

Last edited:
SEN Radio Melb. G. Whateley program 14.11

Whateley raised female soccer prospects & growth with Daisy Pearce.
She replied (in the context of future sporting opportunities for her new-born daughter, & girls generally), paraphrasing, that soccer did not appeal to her (ie Daisy) because often no goals were scored, or very few. Irony!
She also said she was glad more sporting opportunities were developing for girls, & her daughter could play whatever games she preferred.

Pearce's comment was very interesting. It should be recalled when the future directions & growth of the AFLW (& AFL) are being discussed!

I'm listening to it now. Daisy Pearce was actually very respectful and even effusive from what I have heard

But what about the almighty bell end Whately is using the phrase "Australian football" to refer to Australian soccer as a premise to a question for Daisy Pearce?Massive wxnker

She replied (in the context of future sporting opportunities for her new-born daughter, & girls generally), paraphrasing, that soccer did not appeal to her (ie Daisy) because often no goals were scored, or very few. Irony!
You can stuff your irony in a sack. For one thing, Melbourne's AFLW team has consistently been a delightful exponent of fast-paced attacking football, particularly in the two years before Daisy's absence. Secondly, your rather snide remark ignores all the relevant league-wide stats, such as:

AFLW goals per 60-minute game
2017: 9.21
2018: 9.90
2019: 10.24

W-League goals per 90-minute game
2016/17: 3.51
2017/18: 3.43
2018/19: 3.32

I note you didn't address specifically any of my comments earlier regarding increased scoring every season and the connection between successful and attacking teams. I wonder if you even read it, actually.

You can stuff your irony in a sack. For one thing, Melbourne's AFLW team has consistently been a delightful exponent of fast-paced attacking football, particularly in the two years before Daisy's absence. Secondly, your rather snide remark ignores all the relevant league-wide stats, such as:
AFLW goals per 60-minute game [Comparing AF goal scoring with soccer scoring?!]
2017: 9.21
2018: 9.90
2019: 10.24
W-League goals per 90-minute game
2016/17: 3.51
2017/18: 3.43
2018/19: 3.32
I note you didn't address specifically any of my comments earlier regarding increased scoring every season and the connection between successful and attacking teams. I wonder if you even read it, actually.
I did read your replies, & there are some areas I simply have a different opinion to you.

I don't share your relaxed views:-
. re the significant drop in average AFLW ratings. I blame the AFL, as it is ultimately responsible for the AFLW very congested/stoppages game style (& its failure to comply with its own Charter Of The Game).

You never answered my questions in post #189 " Who, & what factors, have caused the ratings decline?" & "How can the ratings be doubled'? Nor why don't the cameras pan out to the packed grand stand side? (Not a problem for possible sun glare for evening game starts)

. that the AFLW will become a full time comp. "soon enough" for c. 650+ players (18 teams), even if it is only averaging 95,000 per game ratings. When? The FT comp.wages cost? All other AFLW costs? Who will fund the various AFLW costs, & from where & how?

. on average no. of goals. I, & fans, would like to see more goals kicked- as do broadcasters, for more valuable ad breaks. There were too many low scoring games- though I accept women can't kick as far.
(I thought the average was less than 10.24 goals per game combined in 2019. Melb. games only? The AFLW median?).

. the very high no. of games starting before 4pm, because strong, summer heat/sweat/sunstroke worsens skills & reduces scoring. Balmy summer evening games would be very popular.
More alarmingly & importantly, probably more skin cancers for players & fans- why do does the AFL want them to be roasted in the hot sun?

Why has the AFLW allowed not scheduled 2 games, for each Fri. & Sat. evening, & 2 late starting Sunday games?

There should be games every Fri. evening starting at 6 & 8 pm; Sat. starting 6 & 8 pm; Thur. 7pm; Sunday 5 & 7 pm. These have the addd benefit of being, mostly, Prime Time- better for ratings & broadcast $.

Last edited:
I did read your replies, & there are some areas I simply have a different opinion to you.

I don't share your relaxed views:-
. re the significant drop in average AFLW ratings. I blame the AFL, as it is ultimately responsible for the AFLW very congested/stoppages game style (& its failure to comply with its own Charter Of The Game).

You never answered my questions in post #189 " Who, & what factors, have caused the ratings decline?" & "How can the ratings be doubled'? Nor why don't the cameras pan out to the packed grand stand side? (Not a problem for possible sun glare for evening game starts)

. that the AFLW will become a full time comp. "soon enough" for c. 650+ players (18 teams), even if it is only averaging 95,000 per game ratings. When?

. on average goals. I would like to see more goals kicked- as do broadcasters, for more valuable ad breaks. There were too many low scoring games- though I accept women can't kick as far.
(I thought the average was less than 10.24 goals per game combined in 2019. Melb. games only? The AFLW median?).

. the very high no. of games starting before 4pm, because strong, summer heat/sweat/sunstroke worsens skills & reduces scoring. Balmy summer evening games would be very popular.
More alarmingly & importantly, probably more skin cancers for players & fans- why do does the AFL want them to be roasted in the hot sun?

Why has the AFLW allowed not scheduled 2 games, for each Fri. & Sat. evening, & 2 late starting Sunday games?

There should be games every Fri. evening starting at 6 & 8 pm; Sat. starting 6 & 8 pm; Thur. 7pm; Sunday 5 & 7 pm. These have the addd benefit of being, mostly, Prime Time- better for ratings & broadcast $.
Re significant drop in ratings. What is a significant drop? I cannot find any data. I would have expected a drop after the first season given the novelty factor boost for season 1. You will also need to make a case equating drop in ratings with congestion. All the data I have seen says congestion decreased each of the first 3 years, open play and scoring increased, yet you make a case that its congestion causing the drop. A league ratings dropped to, are they suffering congestion as well?

When there are so many factors affecting ratings, and the seasons are so short, to just point at a decline in ratings and say, 'the AFL has to fix congestion', is a little absurd. I think congestion will decrease again, and I wouldn't be surprised if ratings decreased a little again as well. I also think if the AFL fiddles with the game to 'fix' congestion, that this may make the ratings worse.

If you add questions six hours after originally posting, I might not see them.

Who, & what factors, have caused the ratings decline?
Following on from what jatz14 said, none of us have enough information to assess that question's scrupulousness, much less provide a definitive answer.

But, here are some specific examples that I don't think helped ratings this year:
  • extended BBL, which included finals played at the same time as AFLW games
  • season opener moved to a Saturday night
  • prelims and grand final played at the same time as early arvo men's AFL games
  • disproportionate ratio of dud games on FTA, most of which should have been anticipated (made worse by only having two games getting the max exposure each week)
  • 3 Friday night games in total down from 6 in 2018, and just more sporadic scheduling in general
How can the ratings be doubled?
Addressing all those above examples would be a good start, which is exactly what the 2020 fixture does (the one about prelims and grand final isn't guaranteed, but it's been given a decent shot at improving)

Nor why don't the cameras pan out to the packed grand stand side? (Not a problem for possible sun glare for evening game starts)
... idk, not even in my top hundred things to worry about for AFLW broadcasts.

that the AFLW will become a full time comp. "soon enough" for c. 650+ players (18 teams), even if it is only averaging 95,000 per game ratings. When?
The AFLPA's plan is by 2030, sounds good to me. While you're worried about ratings, the total player payments continue to get bigger and bigger. Gone from $2.75m to $10.1m in five years, nearly quadrupled. Might be a clue in that.

. on average goals. I would like to see more goals kicked- as do broadcasters, for more valuable ad breaks. There were too many low scoring games (I thought the average was less than 10.24 goals per game combined in 2019).
Like I said, more goals are being kicked. Every year. Feel free to add up the numbers yourself to cross-check, simple to get a hold of unlike TV ratings.

. the high no. of games played during the day, because strong, summer heat worsens skills & reduces scoring. More alarmingly & importantly, more skin cancers for players & fans- why do does the AFL want them to be roasted in the hot sun? Why has the AFLW allowed not scheduled games all Fri. & Sat. evenings, & late starting Sunday games? There should be games every Fri. evening starting at 6 & 8 pm; Sat. starting 6 & 8 pm; Thur. 7pm; Sunday 5 & 7 pm. These have the addd benefit of being, mostly, Prime Time- better for ratings & broadcast $.
At least you tried to provide a solution on this occasion, but in doing so demonstrated the difficulty of your demands. You suggest at least three (your amendments made it worse!) games per week starting before 7pm, so I guess you weren't that serious about night-games-only after all. And 7pm games on Thursdays and Sundays will no doubt bring the league all kinds of criticism for not being family-friendly and hurting attendance numbers, at which point it won't matter what direction the cameras are facing.

Then we have to consider stuff like timezone differences (Fremantle v Collingwood beaming into Melbourne at 10pm, don't think that's maximising ratings) and recovery periods (impossible to manage effectively in a 14-team league with rounds spanning Thu-Sun night).

Last edited:
Following on from what jatz14 said, none of us have enough information to assess that question's scrupulousness, much less provide a definitive answer.[Are you disputing my claim that there has been a significant decline in AFLW ratings in 2019 and 2018?]
I amended my game time suggestions a few hours before you posted your reply. Can you reply to my amendment, and then I will reply to all your points.

Last edited:
Are you disputing my claim that there has been a significant decline in AFLW ratings in 2019 and 2018?
I'm disputing the usefulness of the figures that have been reported. Even if they were comprehensive (which they aren't), even if they were huge (which they aren't), I'd still be cautious in assigning them too much meaning at this stage and hunting for explanatory factors that may not exist.

I amended my game time suggestions a few answers before you posted your reply. Can you reply to my amendment, and then I will reply to all your points.
I have now amended my response to your amended game time suggestions.

Where did you hear this bud? Cheers

NVM - seen a small headline on Herald Sun behind paywall.
But on this I should also say I've heard 2030 thrown around informally by several avenues and sources, including Gillon McLachlan. I referred to the AFLPA before because I knew it had definitely been mentioned in articles, like the one you found or this one back in March primarily about the wariness of a joint-CBA:
...the AFLPA plans to present a long-term vision to head office for the AFLW with a view to it becoming fully professional by 2030.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm disputing the usefulness of the figures that have been reported. Even if they were comprehensive (which they aren't), even if they were huge (which they aren't), I'd still be cautious in assigning them too much meaning at this stage and hunting for explanatory factors that may not exist.
I do not understand fully your reply.

Are you disputing my claim that there has been a significant decline in AFLW ratings in 2019 and 2018?

Yes, specifically the 'significant' part, hence why I said "I'd still be cautious in assigning TV ratings too much meaning at this stage".

In other words, if the numbers weren't as high this year as you'd hoped: get over it, ain't a big deal, not an occurrence of any significance.

Ive actually got excellent FTA data for last season, fair bit missing from both previous ones. So we'll get a better picture this season.

too much missing data previously to form any conclusions.
Scott Gullen reported in the Herald Sun in 2019 that Ch.7 were so disenchanted with the decline in AFLW ratings that it put the AFLW on notice that the games would be transferred to a secondary channel unless there was a significant improvement- which, unfortunately, due to them not recovering, the change was made. I recall radio commentary after this that the significant AFLW ratings' decline was part of a long term trend.

You have previously advised that the AFLW Ch.7 ratings averaged c. 95,000 in 2019.

For the data you have, what were the ratings in 2017 & 2018 for Ch.7; & Foxtel 2017- 2019. IIRC, many or most games in 2017 on Ch.7 were close to 200,000; & 2018 showed a significant average decrease.
There has also been MSM comments that the AFLW ratings have significantly declined.

Last edited:
Re significant drop in ratings. What is a significant drop? I cannot find any data.[Wookie said AFLW Ch. 7 Ratings only averaged 95,000 in 2019] You will also need to make a case equating drop in ratings with congestion.[Most MSM experts are now accepting congestion is a problem for AFL's popularity- where ratings have also fallen over a decade] All the data I have seen says congestion decreased each of the first 3 years[Still too high], open play and scoring increased, yet you make a case that its congestion causing the drop. A league ratings dropped to, are they suffering congestion as well?[Weak]

I accept the very high, initial AFLW Ratings for the first 1 or 2 weeks were not sustainable- due to the huge publicity for the start of the 2017 AFLW & novelty factor.
Why do you think AFLW ratings are dropping from after this short novelty factor (1-3 weeks) wore off?

See my post #93 from 17.10.18
On 17.10.18, when I referred to the significant drop in AFLW 2018 ratings ( "AFLW ratings crashed in 2018"), it was due to MSM references to the drop (IIRC, from Radio sport program comments). My reference to the drop was not challenged subsequently by Wookie (who is normally assiduous on ratings' issues) or other BF posters (or later MSM commentary on AFLW ratings).

Are you claiming the AFL's Charter Of The Game (essentially, the AFL wants AF to have a game style that is a reasonably free-flowing and attacking, with good scoring) is, philosophically, incorrect. The AFL has an average of 140 tackles per game now, in the 1980's it was an average of 40. Stoppage rates are also at virtually record highs, average AFL scoring is the lowest since 1968 (despite grounds being pristine now, very little wind with enclosed grand stands).

Last edited:
Why do you think AFLW ratings are dropping (after the 2017 initial novelty factor, which would only exist for a few weeks, dissipated?

See my post #93 from 23.9.18, & Tim Lane's linked (The Age) comments.
On 23.9.18, when I referred to the significant drop in AFLW 2018 ratings, it was due to MSM references to the drop.

Are you claiming the AFL's Charter Of The Game (essentially, the AFL wants AF to have a game style that is a reasonably free-flowing and attacking, with good scoring) is, philosophically, incorrect. The AFL has an average of 140 tackles per game now, in the 1980's it was an average of 40. Stoppage rates are also at virtually record highs, average AFL scoring is the lowest since 1968 (despite grounds being pristine now, very little wind with enclosed grand stands).
It could also be fans became disenchanted with the game because of the conference system. Teenwolf posted about how the last two highest scoring teams in the H/A have ended up winning the tournament which shows the game isn’t about congestion or tackling but scoring.
Comparing elite programs that produce systems and team play of the current teams to when players had full time jobs is a nonsense and has no merit.
I think the AFLW lost fans because of the inequities of the conference system and I think if there is more fiddling with the game more will lose respect for the women’s game and those playing it.
I don’t recognise the AFL Charter of the Game as something important and I think fiddling with the game because you think that’s how you can get more people watching is not a good idea.
It’s a short sighted knee jerk reaction that is not in the best interests of the game or the people who want to continue to play it and play it at the highest level they can.

Scott Gullen reported in the Herald Sun in 2019 that Ch.7 were so disenchanted with the decline in AFLW ratings that it put the AFLW on notice that the games would be transferred to a secondary channel unless there was a significant improvement- which, unfortunately, due to them not recovering, the change was made.

You have previously advised that the AFLW Ch.7 ratings averaged c. 95,000 in 2019.

For the data you have, what were the ratings in 2017 & 2018 for Ch.7; & Foxtel 2017- 2019. IIRC, many or most games in 2017 on Ch.7 were close to 200,000; & 2018 showed a significant average decrease.
There has also been MSM comments that the AFLW ratings have significantly declined.

bearing in mind that this season i got a lot of FTA metro data that i didnt have access to before - which includes single city ratings for Perth/adelaide/brisbane and sydney games where they werent broadcast - and this data was rarely available previously - the season average came to 54,000, with games rating as low as 36,000 nationally on metro. The 91,000 season average previously posted was for the two saturday national broadcast games.

Metro data is fairly complete - missing only 2 friday night games that were both Sydney exclusive. Its the Fox data for this season thats problematic, a lot of it wasnt reported and I dont get that data.

City by City averages 2019 - All matches not just national broadcasts.
Sydney - 7,000
Melbourne - 43,000
Brisbane - 12,000
Adelaide - 16,000
Perth - 21,000

In 2018, the single broadcast national game each week rated 90,000 - not a big drop - but had a higher average after week 1 consistently for half the time. Started lower than 2018 - almost half the number watched the opener in the metro regions, and dropped to a low of 49,000 in round 3.

In 2017, the season started strong, week 2 was good, national ratings averaged 270,000 by season end - but had dropped to 99,000 by the final round.

I understand the money comes from the broadcast contract.
The money will come.
People want to watch it and people want to play it, I was at the ground for the first game at Ikon and had to push thru the fence to get back in after going out for a ciggie at halftime, there where too many people inside the stafium for that game.
This year the Grand final was played on the same day as the sheffield shield final at the junction oval. The last red ball game before an Ashes tour.
There was leas than 1500 at the cricket and over 50 thou at the footy.
I think people need to realise the AFLW isn’t the same as the mens competiton it’s a sporting carnival or tournament that showcases the best players available. It’s not the best League in terms of a season of footy like it is in any other league.
Since it has started and since there has been an unbroken pathway from juniors to seniors there has been 22 rounds of AFLW football with 5 finals.
The game and the interest is coming along it doesn’t need to change.
This season alone in the VFLW there was 15 rounds and 3 finals.

... idk, not even in my top hundred things to worry about for AFLW broadcasts.[Disagree- match TV "optics" of packed fans at the AFLW ground are crucial]
You suggest at least three (your amendments made it worse!) games per week starting before 7pm, so I guess you weren't that serious about night-games-only [? I never said only]after all. And 7pm games on Thursdays and Sundays will no doubt bring the league all kinds of criticism for not being family-friendly and hurting attendance[Disagree] numbers, at which point it won't matter what direction the cameras are facing.
Then we have to consider stuff like timezone differences (Fremantle v Collingwood beaming into Melbourne at 10pm,[I never said WA games will start at WA 8pm time] don't think that's maximising ratings) and recovery periods (impossible [Disagreee] to manage effectively in a 14-team league with rounds spanning Thu-Sun night).

Do you think the VFA was wrong to have its cameras & broadcasters on scaffolding, with roof covers, in the sparse Outer, to pan across to the packed fans' area on the grand stand side?
Sports' broadcasters, when using TV ads to promote their televised sports, very regularly show snippets of the packed fan areas- because these "optics" create a better "buzz" for that sport ie to attract greater nos. of fans to the ground, & increase TV ratings. Do you dispute this- if so, on what basis?

I have always said the AFL should attempt to maximise the no. of games played in summer in the coolest part of the day ie evenings & night time; & minimise day games. I have never said day games, ie starting c. middle of the day or afternoon, should be totally abolished.

Of course, different time zones in WA, SA & Qld. (no daylight saving) could lead to some overlapping games, but these can be minimised if games are played on Thurs. starting at 7pm, Fri. & Sat. starting at 6 & 8 pm, Sun starting at 5 & 7 pm- perhaps the AFL could also try with Mon. 7 pm starting games. These times would minimise games starting during the day, but some day games would still occur (particularly if AFL wanted to minimise overlapping game broadcasts).

I accept having games start at 7 pm or 8 pm will result in some very young children falling asleep prior to the conclusion of the game, so cant attend, or watch. This loss, however, would be off-set by the FAR greater no. of viewers who are watching in Prime Time; & the greater no. of fans attending in more comfortable, cooler evenings.

AF was designed to be a winter sport, due to the high levels of exertion/running etc required, & it is very undesirable (& less enjoyable) playing AF in strong heat. Do you dispute these issues- if so, on what basis?

You have not addressed my concerns about the probability of more skin cancers for players & fans roasting in the hot sun; nor the deleterious effects on sweaty/fatigued players' skills by having games in the hottest part of the Aust. summer sun.

What will the FT, pro AFLW total wages cost be for c. 650 players (in todays $, not 2030)? And other, related AFLW costs in today's $?
Who will fund the AFLW wages for c. 650 FT players & other AFLW costs, from where, & how?

It is very important for broadcasters' profit margins that a reasonably high average nos. of goals (which allow ad breaks) are kicked in AFLW games.
(Everyone accepts the average will always be higher in men's games, as women can't kick as far)
If the AFLW has average ratings of c. 91,000 per game, do you think broadcasters are likely to bid high amounts to broadcast the AFLW? If so, why?

I am a strong supporter of female GR AF & the AFLW, & I recognise the AFL is correct in seeking numerous changes need to be made to the AFLW. To maximise interest & MSM reporting, it should be played entirely in the AFL off-season- preferably summer, but with minimal day games.

Last edited:
AF was designed to be a winter sport, due to the high levels of exertion/running etc required, & it is very undesirable (& less enjoyable) playing AF in strong heat. Do you dispute these issues- if so, on what basis?

I dont recall this in Wills letter to Bells Life. Australian football was designed as a winter sport because cricketers used the ovals in summer and needed something to keep fit in winter.

I dont recall this in Wills letter to Bells Life. Australian football was designed as a winter sport because cricketers used the ovals in summer and needed something to keep fit in winter.
AF was very rarely played on cricket ovals until the late 1870's- it was banned by cricket clubs. It was played on the adjoining Richmond Paddock (next to MCG), Royal Park & other paddocks in Victoria & elsewhere.

Melbourne Rules/Victorian Rules was designed, & always considered, to be, primarily, a winter sport.

Strong physical exertion (running, tackling, bumping etc.) is very tiring, & causes much sweat. Playing AF in strong heat would greatly exacerbate these problems, & the Founders were aware of this.

Also, Wills publicly expressed his opposition to Rugby being adopted in Melb., because the winter grounds here are much harder than the rainy, muddy grounds in the UK winter- he said players would be hurt here, playing Rugby on our winter grounds. In the UK, rugby & soccer-type games are primarily played in winter (& their summers are much milder than in Aust.).

I accept the very high, initial AFLW Ratings for the first 1 or 2 weeks were not sustainable- due to the huge publicity for the start of the 2017 AFLW & novelty factor.
Why do you think AFLW ratings are dropping from after this short novelty factor (1-3 weeks) wore off?

See my post #93 from 17.10.18
On 17.10.18, when I referred to the significant drop in AFLW 2018 ratings ( "AFLW ratings crashed in 2018"), it was due to MSM references to the drop (IIRC, from Radio sport program comments). My reference to the drop was not challenged subsequently by Wookie (who is normally assiduous on ratings' issues) or other BF posters (or later MSM commentary on AFLW ratings).

Your assuming the novelty factor caused a short term drop. I don't think that was a valid assumption.

People who had no interest in AFLW watched the first game or 2 to see what the hype was about, and then dropped off.

However there was a second group in play, and going off social media, it was a big group. These were people that didn't follow AFL, and in some cases, didn't seem to follow sports at all. They followed due to 'gender wars'.

Imop, they have been dropping off over time, and will keep dropping off. Once the emotion of 'women giving it to the men' wore off, they were always going to lose interest. They are not into footy, will never be into footy, and once the AFLW games became "footy", they disappeared.

The core support for AFLW is people into footy, that are either into women's sport, willing to give women's sport a chance, or just such hard core supporters of their club, they would support regardless.

Year 3 ratings are a better estimate of this group than year 2.

We are now going to see another factor at play. Those people that supported women's sport, and watched AFLW, but whose team wasn't in it, tended to pick another team. Now 4 extra teams are in, and those supporters can switch to their real team.

I followed Freo, but now WC are in, I will follow them. In WA, Freo got a lot of support from WC fans following the WA team, who they will now lose. I would expect their ratings to drop a bit.

Ditto other teams. Lions will lose some to GC, etc

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back