Prediction Why won't we win the 2019 flag?

Can we still win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When ever we've been expected to win it we never do, I think we seriously have to look at some of the players we have and move some on to send a message through that you are not automatically selected to play. Redden, Masten, Barrass, Petch, Nelson and Hickey should all be up for trade imo.

I've backed the team all year to be able to win the flag and I won't write them off now either but geez I'm not holding onto any great expectations. If we win it it will be one of the great comebacks but I just don't see this team putting in the required effort for long enough to get there. NN is our hope allbeit a slim one (pun intended). If we won the flag on Nics shoulders it would put to bed once and for all his impact on games.

Well, after a stiff coffee, a Panadol, a rollie, a cough, and a look around at the wide blue sky-
The pragmatist in me says we are the sum total of our season, how we've played is how good we are, nothing more, nothing less. It's as good as it gets. No miracle turnarounds, no 'finals mode', no hoping NN will sprinkle magic rainbow dust over the outcome eg- one player can't beat a team system or process like Hawthorn with a 6 goal win? They pulled our pants down in public! Outcoached, outplayed and spanked!

We can cite reasons like 6 day break, off a wet slog in a huge game, or Mitchell and Glass providing extra intel on us, or blame individual players, or selection ins+outs, equalisation, and the coach. But the time for doing all the good stuff was NOW! In fact it was last week. Yesterday was in one sense our last chance at redemption, at saving our own arses. But that train has left the station. So you could mount a solid case of this is how good we actually are, this is it, where we sit now. Look at the facts, look at the stats. To expect more is irrational, it's Dreamtime fairytale stuff?

But, the ever-hopeful loyal fan within me still clings to the slight chance we can somehow turn this around and repeat the magic (and guts) of last year. That's a lot of full 4 quarter efforts, by the complete 22 turning up each game, ahead of us, it's not impossible, but given our form, it's unlikely.
But that's why we're here, to dream! That's footy.
One game at a time.
Here's hoping.

Last edited:
It’s not just form of individual players guys, we play an unaccountable brand and it is our brand. It’s not going to change how we play.
So unless all the other finalists let us play our uncontested high possession brand which they won’t we will be left with what we have seen the last two weeks.
An unaccountable brand of footy is arguably the worse brand of footy you can play, we have so much talent that it is hidden a lot during the season.

It’s not just form of individual players guys, we play an unaccountable brand and it is our brand. It’s not going to change how we play.
So unless all the other finalists let us play our uncontested high possession brand which they won’t we will be left with what we have seen the last two weeks.
An unaccountable brand of footy is arguably the worse brand of footy you can play, we have so much talent that it is hidden a lot during the season.
Yep spot on. So many times this year opposition teams exit our defense with no pressure at all then go forward for an uncontested mark while our defenders are nowhere to be seen. So frustrating to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we could flick a switch and play four quarters for the first time all year. But this is a team that hasn't beaten a top 4 side all year (or 1-3 if Richmond lose today) and has a 4-5 record against the top 8 (as it stands right now).

You can't paper over that rubbish record by saying those loses were at the start of the year any more.

We just haven't been hungry enough.
Unfortunately the easiest way to find a reason is to point to our performances all year.

Couldn't beat your mob despite kicking 7 of the first 10 goals
Couldn't beat Collingwood at home despite having a 3 goal lead in the last.
Smashed by Brisbane, Port and Geelong.
4 goals or fewer wins against Gold Coast, Melbourne (twice), Carlton, St Kilda and Freo so couldn't build percentage
Lost to Sydney
Lost to Hawthorn when top 4 was on the line

Our best is awesome but playing well for a quarter (or less) a game isn't going to cut it :(

I hope we grab Tim Kelly so our midfield has depth.

I still think we have a chance if Brisbane win today and we get Nic Nat back for the Qualifying Final, but jeez. I wish we had 7 games straight at Optus.
Yeah based on the evidence of this year so far, we aren’t willing enough to get our hands dirty and dig in when it gets tough.

We have failed basically every ‘test’ other than winning the GF replay in Round 2.

Whenever we’ve been given a good opportunity based on other results, we’ve crumbled under pressure and we also failed to beat our SCG hoodoo.

s**t happens though - there’s always next year.

It isn't as simple as that. Compare this season to last year:
* Twice as many wet games.
* Nic Naitanui for only 3 games (so far). Last season, he played 3 times as many (17).
* The new rules have screwed us over somewhat.
* A delayed preseason that impacted us massively.

Yesterday was our biggest loss since the bye. The first half of the year was the result of the delayed preseason, evidently, and no Nic. We were up against it when we played Richmond, and that Collingwood game was after 2 weeks of slogs in the wet. It isn't purely because we don't have the hunger.

In fact, I think something you're missing out is the fact we played the majority of our games in perfect conditions on Sundays last year. The was both due to a combination of luck (with the bridge to Perth Stadium being built) and fortunate fixturing - not to take away from what we accomplished, but this season has been substantially more difficult than 2018. We've been tremendously unlucky with the conditions, results and everything else this year.

The Hawthorn was, by far, our worst for the year. That was entirely on us, and I have no idea what happened. But you can't say it's purely due to "a lack of hunger", that's far too simplistic. It's a combination of everything.

Not really confident that’ll do anything. They’ll just say fu** it and “we tried our best”. A lot of evidence to suggest we can’t be arsed, last week was sudden death for top 2, this week for top 4 and many other times during the year where a chance has opened up and we’ve failed to capitalise.

People on here wanted Simmo sacked in 2017, RookiePick thought Kennedy would never win a flag then, many were saying Sheed was a failed first round pick before the start of the finals last year. One particularly negative poster on EFH (Eagles Flying High) was proclaiming less than 15 months ago we should trade Shuey and go for the complete reset.

I was terrified at the 15 minute mark of the first quarter in the GF that it would be a repeat of 2015, and we both know what transpired.

You can't say we won't put our heart and soul into it just because we've had our worst loss for the season in the final round. That was terrible, maybe we were absolutely stuffed after the Richmond game, IDK, but we aren't done. This team almost killed me in 2017, and then 12 months later they had a flag. We've proven we can do what is necessary, even through adversity.

That's just the way the modern game is played - I'm not sure if you watch Richmond, but they aren't successful purely because they're accountable. They also know how to move the ball well, and achieve most of their scores from intercepting. I think the last two weeks have been the outlier, tbh. Usually, we're a good one on one team.

Can we win the flag from fifth? History says no.

We need Naitanui to come back and impact and get the midfield moving again, our reliance on goals from stoppages is why we’ve fallen short these last two weeks. Our midfield rating has dropped and goals have dried up.

Need to fix our zone and lift frontal pressure when we win clearances. If we’re not converting stoppages into deep entries this is irrelevant but against Richmond and the Hawks our zone has been easily navigated.

We need have an easy win in week one, keeping us fresh for the second week. We’re good enough to beat anyone but not if we’ve been bruised and beaten physically for three weeks straight.

Maybe we can start to hunt, expectations from fifth are pretty low to be honest. Simpson should take some risks as far as team selections and structure should go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh lord

Not looking forward to Pies vs WCE.

Pies games always make my heart pound by closest. A lose to them would mean the start of a rivalry Sydney like

A lose to them would mean the start of a rivalry Sydney like
I reckon we're already there- Extra time semi in 2007, drawn final in 1990, 2 point win in 1994, close finals in 2011 and 2012,2 close games in last years finals series and this years 1 point epic!

What a strange season it's been. 2 weeks ago we were second and equal flag faves - now 5th and could be bundled out week 1. The media were pumping as up as the ones to beat along with Richmond, even after the Richmond loss, and we looked poisoned. And then it seemingly all came crashing down Saturday night. In hindsight, while a massive upset and a disappointing effort, it did reveal a lot of deficiencies, weaknesses, inadequacies in our game, a lot of them I believe mental. I honestly think we were too arrogant, thought we could coast by, etc.

I know it's a cliche but maybe it's what we needed, our last hope. We needed to be humbled, to fight tooth and nail. We're no longer flag faves, deservedly so, but as inconsistent as we are I'm not willing to write off our season just yet. We have a lot to prove in 10 days time: not just the flag defence, but beating Essendon in a final for the first time, regaining confidence in the playing group, etc. A thumping win will give us a lot of confidence going forth. It can't get much worse, can it? Honestly I actually thought the Adelaide game was a good 3 quarter effort and even the Richmond game wasn't that far off the pace. Were just outcoached in the Hawks game, but the way we gave up was concerning.

Anyway, let's just focus on this being our chance at redemption now. Course we aren't the players or coaching team, so we can only hope THEY will, but as supporters, while we're understandably upset and disappointed, let's show just a wee bit more optimism for this season. We're still up there for a reason, are we not? If we fail to turn up against Essendon then yeah, let the full on melts flow...hopefully a lot of soul searching in the off season and pre season.

I do think going forward a lot of changes will be needed for 2020 if we have a contend. If we think we can coast a long the same way we're gonna drop, maybe badly, but let's just focus on this season.

Well, after a stiff coffee, a Panadol, a rollie, a cough, and a look around at the wide blue sky-
The pragmatist in me says we are the sum total of our season, how we've played is how good we are, nothing more, nothing less. It's as good as it gets. No miracle turnarounds, no 'finals mode', no hoping NN will sprinkle magic rainbow dust over the outcome eg- one player can't beat a team system or process like Hawthorn with a 6 goal win? They pulled our pants down in public! Outcoached, outplayed and spanked!

We can cite reasons like 6 day break, off a wet slog in a huge game, or Mitchell and Glass providing extra intel on us, or blame individual players, or selection ins+outs, equalisation, and the coach. But the time for doing all the good stuff was NOW! In fact it was last week. Yesterday was in one sense our last chance at redemption, at saving our own arses. But that train has left the station. So you could mount a solid case of this is how good we actually are, this is it, where we sit now. Look at the facts, look at the stats. To expect more is irrational, it's Dreamtime fairytale stuff?

But, the ever-hopeful loyal fan within me still clings to the slight chance we can somehow turn this around and repeat the magic (and guts) of last year. That's a lot of full 4 quarter efforts, by the complete 22 turning up each game, ahead of us, it's not impossible, but it's unlikely.
But that's why we're here, to dream! That's footy.
One game at a time.
Here's hoping.
The manner of Simpson's speaking has been illuminating.

The hints were there all season, where really only bursts of ability, as opposed to consistent effort and a coherent system, have helped us ground out wins. After the game on Saturday - "... We're still alive". It was the same when the mid-season bye rolled around, an uncompromising recognition that realistically we were never confident in top 4 finish and it was always going to be an uphill slog.

But hey, we're alive after all and finals are awesome. Look at Ben Stokes last night to see how you need only an opportunity and the will to capitalise on it. One thing in our favour is experience.

They say that in the course of every season, it can be defined by a single game

We win against Hawthorn, we lock in a top 4 spot, a double chance, on our home deck and in front of a capacity crowd.

Instead, we serve up that performance, and when it matters most we drop out of the top 4 to front up to an Elimination final next week.

The club can put the spin doctors in maximal spin mode and say that "we can win it from anywhere" but really, the capacity for that to happen is extremely slim.

The club knows it, the team knows it, and the fans know it.

What we dished up against Hawthorn very likely amounts to a wasted season and a huge opportunity that has gone missing

Fold the club.

Finishing 5th is just as bad as 8th for us.

What a waste. Playersand coaches webtake off our hats to your crap.

At this point just making it to a prelim would be fine, at least it would mean we finally beat a top 4 team and reclaimed a bit of pride.

If we somehow made it to the GF, well I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a repeat of 2015 and we get completely overrun by fresher legs. Would get very ugly.

Feels weird going into finals at 0% optimism but I’d prefer to enjoy the footy happening at the time without the high expectation and eventual heartbreak. The club can fold later.

Outside of the after the siren port game years ago where they lost Dixon & Ryder, we never seem to gain any ascendency or advantage by the opposition losing a key player early.

We lose Hutch a couple of times this year, who some consider an expendable role player and whomever he was assigned, rips us apart.

Hawks losing an elite runner early (Scully) we still get run all over.

Essendon running with all kinds of banged up players, Hurley may not play.

Not winning next Thursday would be a dark day (and not just because it's a night game)

Back